Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 14:43

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Question Normal Basal Metabolic Rate?

I was talking to a friend of mine about basal metabolic rates the other day. I respect her opinion, as she is studying medicine at Emory University. She was telling me that basal BGL varies in non-diabetic individuals and is difficult to lower without weight loss and/or diet change.

So, I called my OB-Gyn's officer, as they have all my blood records...back to when I weighed 130. Guess what? My Fasting BGL was 101 in 1986! It was always around 100, even when I was thin.

Now I know that the lower your BGL's are, the less problems even a non-diabetic has with health issues. But I am wondering if I am expecting too much, too fast in wanting my fasting BG to be 80 or 90. Any thoughts?

How long did it take you guys to get the Low A1c's. I still have quite a bit of weight to lose, so I am hoping that will help. My meter has said I was averaging 106 for the last six weeks....kind of like an A1c, but not below 5...like we all want.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 14:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
How long did it take you guys to get the Low A1c's.

I took it (A1C) from 11.8 in March of 2001 to 5.6 in September of 2001. Last A1C in March was 5.3. Since A1C measures your average blood sugar over the past 8-12 weeks, it stands to reason that my blood sugars dropped very quickly and were within that range and staying there at least 8 weeks into low carbing. My own blood sugar records indicate that I took my blood sugars (with the help of Glucophage at that point) from a fasting in the 170's to fasting in the low 100's in less than 2 weeks. Current fastings (more than 2 years in) are in the 80's and 90's and have been for quite some time.