Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 19:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 246/230/150
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default tofu recipies

does anyone know any tofu receipies? I bout some tofu but don't know how to prepare it.
thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 19:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/164/140 Female 65 inches
BF:35%/27.4%/?%
Progress: 45%

Crispy Deep Fried Tofu
from "The Book of Tofu"
The key to obtaining a crisp, delicately crunchy crust lies in using kudzu powder, although other coatings also work well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 oz firm tofu cut into cubes
3 to 5 tablespoons kudzu powder, cornstarch, arrowroot, or flour
Oil for deep-frying

Cut Tofu into 6 rectangular pieces and roll each piece in the kudzu powder. Heat oil to 350F in a wok, skillet, or deep-fryer. Drop in tofu and deep-fry until golden brown. Allow to drain. Invite each guest to season his or her tofu to taste with shoyu and garnishes such as greated ginger, daikon, wasabi, or thinly sliced leeks.

You can get this, and many others at www.tofu.com .
You may want to sub the flour with something that Atkins has. I haven't shopped the Atkin's store, but I'm sure there is something to sub.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 19:56
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

silken:
Puree with eggs then scramble.
Use to thicken soups

Firm:
Cube in stirfrys
Fry like cheese sticks
Make a non-dairy sour cream
combine with ground beef or other meats

Do internet search. There are a ton of vegitarian recipe sites
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 11:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins of a type...
Stats: 213/209/170 Female 146"
BF:not sure will look
Progress: 9%
Default rrkeni

Hi, I use tofu loads. The way I cook it is in a heavy chargrill pan. You can even fry silken tofu in this without it breaking up. I slice into 4, then halve, add to hot chargrill pan, spray with oil as necessary. I serve on bed of spinach leaves with couple of cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with sesame oil (wonderful flavour) and a little chilli dipping sauce if you can afford the carbs (jazzes it up a bit). Also try adding sesame seeds to the pan, till toasted, add to salad, also great with sunflower seeds, toasted. A nice marinade is with sherry vinegar (bought in supermarket no probs). with sesame oil, garlic and hot chilli sauce, also good with worcestireshire sauce. You can also use this as a dressing. I cook the whole block till crispy, then take half for lunch the next day. Chargrill pan is a great investment really!!

Also have seen a recipe for choc mousse, with sugar free pudding mix, whipping cream, cocoa and block of tofu, not tried, but apparently gets very thick and yummy.

Good luck x
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 00:55

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have made a eggless egg salad using tofu that was pretty good, used it for a chicken replament in chicken noodle soup, use it for a curry. Just read in a restaurant that they serve a dish of almond coated tofu which sounds yummy to try!

I also have a recipe for tofu jerky I'm going to make this week!!! MY DH thinks it sounds gross but hey I'll give it a try!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 07:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Karen has posted some great low-carb tofu recipes on her Gourmet Recipes page .. check out Daikon, Chinese Cabbage and Tofu Soup, Korean-Style Tofu and Curried Tofu, Mushroom and Pepper Scramble.

The soup is especially wonderful .. very fast. If you cut the tofu into thin julienne strips, and maybe add a little diced cooked chicken, it's very much like chicken-noodle soup! This has become one of my fave "comfort" foods.

hth,

Doreen