Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 09:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Question Long Term Studies

I know that Dr. Atkins performed a study of his weight loss plan for a period of six months. The results obtained doing Atkins as opposed to the American Heart Association low fat plan were overwhelming. People lost more weight, as well as lowered their cholesterol levels.

My question is, have there been studies done for longer periods than six months???

Also, many "non-believers" continue to claim that all of us low carbers are damaging our livers by living this WOE. Aside from the fact that they're probably just ignorant, why would they think this WOE is damaging to one's liver?

Kim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 09:24

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

I don’t know of any recent long-term studies of the low-carb WOE but I believe one is underway.

I think you may be confused about the liver thing. LC WOE has been accused of causing kidney damage from the supposed “high protein” content, though there is no definitive evidence that a healthy kidney could be damaged by a diet high in protein. Here of any body builders on dialysis lately? As for damaging livers you can credit cholesterol lowering statin drugs for that. Ever heard of bacol?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 12:35

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default No LOW FAT long-term studies either

Perhaps I've missed it, but I haven't seen any LONG-TERM studies that prove that LOW-FAT diets are particularly effective, either. That goes for weight loss, or so-called 'Health-effects'.

It anyone HAS seen a long-term (more than a few months) study comparing low-fat to other diets in terms of weight loss, "safety" or other factors, I'd like to hear about it.

And don't show me opinions, guesses, suppositions, theories, or 'anecdotes'. They don't count.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 12:45

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

How long was the JAMA study? Aren't they going to continue the study that compared different plans? I don't know why I think I heard that.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 16:37

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

There are virtually no long term, scientific, controlled studies of the human diet. If you think about it, you immediately know why.

How hard would it be to accuratley control, or alternatively, to accuratley record, the myriad, varied choices that you and other members of your family make about what to eat and drink?

It would take a severe prison situtation, or a one to one food recorder to get the job done, IMO.

That is why the six month study was so important, and so impressive, in validating the benefits of the Atkins diet.

You may want to look into the CCARB Study being conducted at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. It is attempting a 3 year study, and people on this website are eligible to join. I have my paperwork, but have to get my doctor to validate my beginning weight and height before being enrolled.

Check it out:

http://epi.aecom.yu.edu/studies/cca...e.asp?studyID=2
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 08:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up thanks

WW:

Thanks for the info. I signed up as well. I actually have an appointment for a physical in May so I'll have my doctor fill that form out then.

Thanks again.

Kim