Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 11:56

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Just bragging

Hi everyone
I had my 3 month checkup with my doctor this morning and it was really good! I am diabetic and through eating a low carb diet and exercise I have lost weight and lowered my blood sugar so that it was at an almost normal reading for the 3 month blood test. Woo-Hoo! He was very proud of me and I am too. It has been hard work but these great results definitely make it all worthwhile. I am hoping that I will be able to get off of my meds eventually.

I am so happy about how following this wol can make such great health improvements in me.

Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 11:59

Plan: WOW Rx
Stats: 435/390/265 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 26%

That's awesome! Congratulations!

Just a remember, it's a sad dog who won't wag his own tail.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 12:00
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Congratulations! You deserve it!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 12:09

Plan: Low Carb(Atkins)
Stats: 350/288/220 Male 70"
BF:yes !
Progress: 48%

Brag away Marebear !!!

That's great news. Keep up the good work. My success has kept me from going on high blood pressure meds, which my doctor was preparing to do before I started Atkins.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 14:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

GO Mary!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Good Brag!! Love to hear stuff like that. You're awesome!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 15:31

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

thats great mary! congrats
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 15:57
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Talking Wooooo Hooooooo!

That's fabulous Mary!

What great validation that this WOE is really working for you. You know I've had the exact same experience and seeing that HgA1C drop close to normal levels is so exciting. It's like each 0.1 point drop means a lot less health problems from diabetes.

This is probably gross to most people, but I started looking at my toes and thinking: "they won't be amputating this little piggy"! Look at my eyes and think: "here's a few more months that my eyesight will be sharp!" Yes, I've worked in the health care field a bit too long, wouldn't you say? I've just seen those complications too up close and personal ... I know what having uncontrolled diabetes can do.

Weight loss or measurements change are really the 'shallowest' indicators that lowering our carb count works. Things like blood sugar, pressure and fats reflect a 'deeper' move towards true health.

I'm so happy for you!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 17:16

Plan: modified me
Stats: 274/258/199 Female 64
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 21%

I am so happy for the changes that you have been able to accomplish. Soon you will be off those meds and life will be even better.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 17:26

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Congratulations! That is tremendous news!

I have an elderly aunt who has so many problems because of diabetes. It truly is wonderful to know that this WOE will help to prevent those issues for you.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 23:05
Beautifully Chaotic

Stats: 334.5/320.0/150.0 Female 63 inches / 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 8%

Congrats Mary! Keep up the good work!!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 04:45

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

Way to go Mary - that, to me, is one of the most important results of eating this way. I am not diabetic, but I did have high blood pressure. I am now off my medicine, and losing the weight is a nice benefit also - but I would have done this just to get off the medicine.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 06:05

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thanks everyone

I think the health issues that are helped by this woe are the most important too, prolly since I am older and have some of them - diabetes, high blood pressure brought on by the diabetes, and mobility issues due to bad knees from my weight. My blood pressure and knees are are also very improved

I have been plus sized for most of my life and have dieted for most of my life. Diets and their deprivation have only made me bigger over the years. Many years ago I told myself I would never diet again and just worked on being happy with who I was - accepting my fatness. I would no longer be a witch around my family and friends due to being hungry all the time, and then feel the incredible guilt when I finally caved and ate some food!

But since having diabetes, I have changed my thinking and have tried various eating plans and have to say that this woe for me is the most satisfying way to eat while helping to resolve my health issues. I hardly ever feel deprived and never feel hungry when doing LC. My weight loss has been slow, but that is secondary for me right now.

My doctor knows how I am eating, but has never recommended it. He says whatever I am doing is working great and to keep it up. I told him he needs to talk about low carb with his other diabetic patients. When they have diabetic nutritional counseling they are still telling diabetics to eat low fat diets with moderate carbs. I just wish they would give them a choice of plans. I just kind of stumbled across this woe and had to do my own research. You would think the medical community would get the news!

I am so happy it is helping all of us get healthier and increase the quality of our lives. I love you all!!
LC!!

Mary
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 10:11

Stats: 260/215/140 Female 67 inches
BF:47.4/46.2%/20%
Progress: 38%

Absolutely wonderful! It's also very good for your doctor to see how successful you are with this WOE. Congratulations to you!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 11:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/268.5/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 12%

Congrats Mary, I have high blood sugar and was advised to cut out sweets. I haven't been back to the dr.s yet to find out how much it has gone down, but I am anxious to find out. My husband has diabetes and high blood pressure, bad knees, among other things. He has lost 20 pounds and his knees feel better already, so that alone has encouraged him to keep going, although he isn't as strict about it as I am, but he's trying. Keep up the good work. Peg