Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 22:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/303/225 Male 5-8
BF:whopping!
Progress: 0%
Default not feeling so good...

Well today was a bad day. I feel like I weigh about 400 pounds right now I am so bloated. I didnt over do it with carbs, or with sweets and I didnt cheat...what I DID do was consume about 6 ounces of pork rinds and about 3 gallons of water. Now Im not feeling so good. I really just wanna puke and get it all out of me. I feel like I COULD puke, but I HATE pukin', so it stays in

Anyone know of any crunchy snacks besides pork rinds? Those calories arent helping me any either! I had the most today than Ive had since starting this WOL...over 4000. THAT won't happen again, I promise you that!

Any suggestions for crunchy snacks that are GOOD for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 22:54
Registered Member

Plan: Primal
Stats: 250/250/210 Male 76 inches
BF:

pork rines aren't my fav either....I bought turkey pepperoni today, sliced about the size of quarters. no carbs and 60% less fat than reg pepperoni.....bake em for a few min in oven on a cookie sheet and they get crisp...yummm
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:02

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

Boarshead Genoa Salami si my main stay. If I need a quick snack, I pull out a few slices. 1 g of carb for 2 oz. That's a lot of salami! It is the best salami I have found. Very Italian tasting, high fat and delicious!

I usually do not eat pork rinds by them selves. I buy them and make the french toast recipe or I use them for bread crumbs.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 23:06

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hormel pepperoni has 0 carbs too even though I count 1g. anyway, but I lay them on paper towel and nuke them until they're crispy, about 1-2 minutes. Most of the fat comes out and it's delicious! My friend also gave me a case of Carbolite protein chips. It takes getting used to, but it's not that bad once I got used to it. I haven't been able to find it online anywhere though, so I don't know what I'll do when that runs out.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 01:22

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:

I like these cheese crisps called "Just the Cheese". There are different flavors available, though I've only had the garlic and herb (nasty) and the white cheddar (which some getting used to, a very strong flavor). I think there might be some recipes for cheese crisps in the recipe area. The peperoni idea is a good one. I might even put a bit of cheese on top of each before crisping.

-Cait
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 06:21
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

How about celery with cream cheese? You can have nuts after induction.

You could have a mini meal instead of a snack.

Drink water and skip snacking if you like.

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 07:35
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

mObster

Try the recipe section for some of those cheese crackers they make by nuking grated cheese into crackers, some people bake them and others do them in a non-stick pan. Havent made them myself yet (still trying to avoid cheese) but I think they would be like those bits that might spillover from a grilled cheese sandwich and get all hard and crispy on the pan
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 08:36
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Mobster!!!! I don't know any crunchy snacks besides celery and cucumber with cream cheese.

Try something different: Hunts has Jello already made (look in the snack pudding and jello section), they come in 4 packs like the puddings. I saw them at the grocery store yesterday. I was going to buy them but I was afraid I would get sugar cravings from them. They have splenda in them.

red
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 09:16

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi theresa113 !

I'll second that, that's exactly what I had for a snack last night ..really did the trick !
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/144/140 Female 5'7"
BF:36%/29%/whatever
Progress: 89%

Mobster I thought pork rinds were just the thing for me when I first started Atkins - my weakness has always been the salty snacks like potato chips/crackers/popcorn, so they filled that "snacking gap" for me. What I found though - like you did - is that they really made me feel sick after I ate them!

I discovered soy nuts by accident (someone brought them into work and had a bowl out to share) and they are great for me. They give me the crunch and the salt that I like. They aren't 'low' in carbs, but I measure out a 1 oz portion in a small baggie and count 4 carbs for it. If I eat these one at a time, they are very satisfying and 1 oz does go a long way.

Penny
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 11:23
Registered Member

Stats: 185/179/153 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Cool My Salty Snack Solution

When I need a salty/crunchy somethin'somethin' I take sliced almonds - you could use slivered too I think and toast them with a smidge of olive oil in a heavy pan...dash a bit of salt on 'em and viola....better than popcorn! It doesn't take many to satisfy me...say an 1/8 of a cup.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 12:46
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 230/203/145
BF:
Progress: 32%
Talking

Great Ideas, keep them coming. I am a salty, crispy carb craver. I really went thru withdrawl when I gave up potato chips. Have not tried the low carb variety 1. because I am not near my goal weight and 2. I just know I cant eat just 20-50! Pork rinds sit fine with me if I don't eat the whole bag! Celery w/cream cheese, and grated cheese toasted in the toaster oven (I'm still experimenting) are my choices. I will be looking into those soy nuts -my boss eats them by the bagful. Jules
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:42

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Default Pepperoni and Cheese

Scott just did the pepperoni covered in cheese and baked in the oven! Mmm Mmm Good! It's like a party in my mouth!

-Cait
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:45

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

Um, well...

I did make enough. A whole cookie sheet full. They just didn't make it all the way upstairs...

This might just be a dangerous thing.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:49

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

I too am a frequent victim of the snack demon. Salty crispy things were my downfall before. (Well, and chocolate, and cashews, and...) I'm trying to think of other interesting ways to deal with the nibblies.

I have some jicama and daikon in the fridge. I might try thinly slicing them, doing an ice brine overnight and deep frying them into chips.