Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 15:48

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%
Default BAD SP Recipes? ETC.!!

Just wanted to put the word out that the Sauteed Mixed Squash with Cumin and Chili Powder is WAY HOT. The chili powder is just TOO MUCH. I do not like this recipe (the only one so far - but Mexican flavors are what we do best in this part of the country).

On the other hand, cooked the Greek Chicken, p. 244 it is toothsome!!

The Fresh Mexican Salsa is good, but, like everything else, I add salt. Do you still use salt?

Anyone made the Red Snapper Veracruz? Italian Mixed Vegetable Soup?

Battening Down the Hatches,
Jinx

PS Could be blowing up to Canada within the next few hours!

Last edited by MsJinx : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 08:44.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:11
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Yes, I use real sea salt. Salt in necessary for prober metobolic function and this no salt craze is as bad as the no fat is. 1/2 a tsp a day is enough, but that's all you really need. Choose where you use it.

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 09:39

Hey Liz!
What is with Dr. S and no salt?

I've never gone crazy with the stuff m'self, but I do find that the recipes, although they only call for black pepper, need salt.

My allergiest told me that black pepper wasn't good for folks with mold allergies, plus I'm just not that into it. I use sea salt, have a grinder for it. Very nice.

Jinxyb
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 10:31
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think Dr. S. was more "down on salt" in SPI, which is the book her cookbook is based on. However, in SPII, she recommends a lower salt diet for those with medical conditions such as heart failure, kidney failure and high blood pressure. She also mentions people with insulin resistance or BOAG may retain fluids so restricting salt my help with bloating and ankle swelling. I'm not sure I agree with her limiting salt for BOAGs. Salt's not the culprit, it's the balance of electrolytes.

Dr. Wilson's book Adrenal Fatigue specifically targets low sodium as a symptom of adrenal fatigue. So his prescription is for a high salt intake since most with adrenal fatigue have low blood pressure, NOT high blood pressure.

Dr. Wilson recommends a salt preparation of half sea salt and kelp , salting to taste. As your adrenals get better, your craving for salt subsides. He also says that adrenal fatigue is worsened by foods high in potassium due to the low levels of sodium. He recommends people who eat fruit, eat it with salt to balance the electrolytes. As well, water should be salted with 1/4 - 1/2 tsp to every glass of drinking water in order to balance out the sodium:water ratio. He states that many of his patients are able to assess their level of adrenal function by their desire for salt.

I kind of concluded that it seems as if those with BOAG should salt to taste and those with insulin resistance should limit salt. BOAGs with high blood pressure or insulin resistance should also limit salt.

Hope this helped and didn't confuse toooooo much!

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:43
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJinx
Just wanted to put the word out that the Sauteed Mixed Squash with Cumin and Chili Powder is WAY HOT. The chili powder is just TOO MUCH. I do not like this recipe (the only one so far - but Mexican flavors are what we do best in this part of the country).

[/COLOR][/B]
Battening Down the Hatches,
Jinx

PS Could be blowing up to Canada within the next few hours!

Jinx - It could be that you just have very potent chili powder, I looked at the recipe and 1 tsp of chili powder is a piddling amount - at least if you get the kind we Canadians get stuck with. I know it deteriorates rapidly maybe because you Texans are such hotties you get it fresher or a variety made with hotter chillies. The last batch of chilli I made I threw in about 1/2 CUP of chilli powder and about 1/4 cup of tabasco type sauce - it was a large recipie but nevertheless. Do you think you would have liked it with less heat. I also find the proportion of chilli powder to cumin a bit off usually a recipe has much more chilli powder than cumin because the cumin is such a strong flavour.

BTW - I got payback for joking about Canada in your journal - went for that walk and was swarmed by some kind of stinging insect (wasps, bee's hornets - can't say they were in my HAIR) I tried to remember the instructions for escaping a swarm of killer bees and my mind went blank (again and again this happens :daze so I just turned back and walked in what I hoped was a calm assured and non-agressive manner finally they left me alone - I guess somehow a hive (nest??) had been disturbed and they were on the warpath - so forget the bow and arrow bring RAID!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:55
Plemorphist

Wanda, And people look at me crazy when I salt my cantelope!! I was doing it right the whole time!! I put it on watermelon too. Always thought It tasted better. When we were kids and it was really hot, we'd dump salt in our cokes and drink it really fast. (the great burp was a bonus )

LizzyB
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
Dr. Wilson's book Adrenal Fatigue specifically targets low sodium as a symptom of adrenal fatigue. So his prescription is for a high salt intake since most with adrenal fatigue have low blood pressure, NOT high blood pressure.

See, this is me. When I went to the Endo, some time ago, my sodium was low, potassium more toward middle to high of normal.

As a kid, I would get excrutiating headaches and end up in the emergency room - dehydration was the culprit, although I drank TONS of water. This happened again as a young adult during my drinking-tons-of-water-for-weight-loss routine.

Forever, it seems, the low sodium thing has been hyped - so, of course, seeing other people in family in poor health eating loads of salt - I seldom ate/eat any.

I've always had a huge, preggo looking belly (you should see me today - during TOM it is positively frightening - I'll see if dh will take a pic so I can show you.). Seems like a combo of bloating and insulin meter (my insulin meter is bloated!). Any suggestions short of liposuction? Hey Wanda, would your hubby like to make some extra cash moonlighting? I'm sure he could watch an instructional video and have it down in no time! If he's not interested, maybe he could show you and you could do it. C'mon, it'd be FUN!

Jinx

edit: Liz, as a kid we all salted watermelon. I was thinking about that recently and wondering if we just always had crappy melons. Hmmmmm.

Last edited by MsJinx : Wed, Jul-16-03 at 15:56.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 09:28
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Guys:

This thread wasn't listed as unread. Sorry for the delay in reading it.

This "salt" issue is another reason that one rule should never apply to all, huh? Last month, I started salting my food for the first time. Instantly, I started craving more. I'm afraid to add the kelp to my sea salt though. Oh well, I should try it.

Hey Jinxy, D(not)H is in the doghouse right now for not getting my saline. Forget him, he's unreliable. I'll gladly help you out after watching the instructional video, of course. Ok, now where does that catheter go? ....oops, wrong procedure!

Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 10:22

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%

Hey Wanda!

I tried the kelp in the sea salt water thing. It was the NASTIEST mess that I had ever attempted to drink. Now, in the name of health, I can drink/eat/do alot of things, but the kelp was not one of them. I discarded the nasty looking concoction and threw the rest of my kelp in the trash. It made Ezekel (SP?) bread taste like gourmet food. Anyway, IMHO, I would advise against it. It reminded me of when we went to Florida and the water was contaminated with some nasty seasonal grasses--must of been KELP!!

Tig
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 10:38
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Tig:

Thanks for the description.

That's what I was afraid of. Yikes! Oh well, I guess the sea salt will just have to do. Thanks for saving me a few dollars.

Wanda
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 09:19
Plemorphist

My mom takes a kelp supplement for her thyroid, she's boarderline, and depression. She swears by it. She takes it in pill form, not a drink.