Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 08:37

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%
Red face Be careful when serving guests.

My daughter paid me a surprise visit on Friday. I served her the same thing I had for my dinner. Pork loin chop with Dijon cream Sauce, Asparagus with mayo, salad with oil-vinegar dressing, and LC Choclate Mousse for dessert. She loved it but It was a big mistake! She had her gall bladder removed many years ago and all that fat made her sick all night.
Tonight it will be grilled chicken breast and I'll keep most of the fats to myself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 09:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Oh Barb, I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I hope she is feeling better very soon.

Gail
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 11:01

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I am glad you posted this Gail. My parents and sister are coming over for Easter. My mom had her gall blader out 20 years ago. I will make sure I have enough variety so no one gets sick!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 11:09

Stats: 210/180/145
BF:
Question Gallbladder?

I don't understand why it makes you sick if you don't have a gallbladder? I had mine removed in 89 and I don't have a problem with LC eating. If I eat carbs then I do have a problem, I get bloated and feel like I ate a bowling ball and it is sitting in my stomach. My sister also had her gallbladder removed and she is on the Atkins program with me.

Trish
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 11:19
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi ohtobethin

Some people just can't tolerate a meal with heavy fat with or without a gallbladder. I can only eat some kinds of fat other kinds make me nauseus.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 12:56

Stats: 220/000/145
BF:
Progress: 293%
Default Gall Bladder issues

Yup-my Mom had her gall bladder removed about a year ago. When I talk to her about eating higher fat stuff(real cream, butter, real mayo, etc.) she tells me she gets really sick if she eats too much fat. Before she had her gall bladder removed she felt like she was having a heart attack if she ate a high fat meal--gall bladder attacks!

She has cholesterol issues(genetics) and followed low fat diets for the last 20 years or so. I wonder if she would have had all these problems if she would have followed Dr. Atkins way back when.......
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 15:03
Registered Member

Stats: 270/235/150
BF:

I had my gallbladder out in November and have no problems eating fats now. I wonder if she has irritable bowl syndrome. My sister has irritable bowl syndrome which gets inflamed when she eats fats. Either way, I usually tell my guests what I am having for dinner ahead of time.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 16:19
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
My sister has irritable bowl syndrome which gets inflamed when she eats fats.

Hi Earthly One, does your sister eat low carb?
Because my partner and I both used to get major flare ups of our IBS with fatty meals, but surprise, surprise, all symptoms disappeared when we switched to low carb. It seems it was the combination of starches and fat that caused the problem(s!). Our meals now are quite high fat - no problems. My partner eats starches from time to time, and will have IBS symptoms just about every time. (I say it serves him right for being silly! )

And just to go back to the topic, yes, some folk minus their gall bladders do have "issues" with fat. They can still eat low carb but have to be more careful with fat intake.

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 16:32

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%

Thanks for all the input. Both my older daughters have IBS problems. This one was also on Nutrisystem and lost and then gained it all back plus more. It could all be a contributing factor.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 16:56
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Barb I never thought of the IBS - I have that and that's part of the reason I don't do well on Atkins, I need more fibre and less fat but IBS is different for everyone. For me if I haven't been having fibre and I re-introduce it into my diet I have the constant pain - but after a few days my system adjusts . I don't think my sickness when I have fat is to do with the IBS I've just never liked fatty meats I can handle some butter, tons of cheese, and salad dressings but too much meat and butter and I'm quite ill.

I've been quite surprised to hear how some people say atkins helps their IBS since for me a high fibre diet is much better but as I say it is a very individual thing - what else can you expect from a syndrome that the only diagnosis for is the elimination of other problems
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 20:16
Registered Member

Stats: 270/235/150
BF:

You know, my sister is not on a low carb diet. However, she won't do a low carb diet unless she thinks she thought of it first. She doesn't like it when I suggest anything.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 17:44

Stats: 210/180/145
BF:
Default IBS and Atkins

I was diagnosed with IBS when I was in my early 20's and every time I get a bad stomach the doctor says it is IBS. In other words it is what they say when they don't know what else it could be. Well how about proper nutrition. My so called IBS was out of control until I started the Atkins program. I don't have as many problems as I did before but every once in a while my stomach flares up big time and lets just say I get some reading done that day. It took years for me to mess up my body and I know it will take a while for it to get back to some stage of normal.

Low carb is the only way for me to achive this goal.

Trish