Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 02:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 120/120/110 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:Dunno
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Cholesterol

My cholesterol hits a historical high. What am I doing wrong? I'm so disappointed that I am ready to give up on this diet. It took me 3 long months to get rid of 10lbs. I gained a few back after my vacation to Asia over the holidays. When I got back, I found my medical report with abnormal cholesterol reading. Is it possible for cholesterol to increase after being on this WOE for 3 months? Is there any chances that the cholesterol reading may be wrong? The report is based on a blood test that I did on 12/9/02 (before my vacation).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 06:05

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

In the short term, yes. It's not uncommon for cholesterol to spike up early in the program. Give it at least 6 months before you worry. Nyah Levi
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 14:34

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
I completely agree with Bluesmoke. My doc (who recommended I start Atkins) wanted me to get a few months into the program before we took readings. I am especially happy that he took reading right before I started this WOL so that I'd have a baseline to compare against.

I just had my cholesterol checked after being on this WOL for 4 months. My total cholesterol dropped 17 points, my HDL/LDL ration is now 3:1 and my triglycerides dropped 151 points.

If you're happy with how you're feeling and the progress that you're making (which is great, by the way), then give it some more time and then reevaluate the situation.

Best of luck!
Nikki
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 15:12

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

All I know is my cholestral numbers (first ones were taken 2 mos into this WOE) were impressive - total cholestral 168. I had tests done in November and my total cholestral was 164 so for me, this plan works. My tryglicerides were 64 both times!

My cholestral was 210-220 pre-LC with the bad cholestral high. My tryglicerides were in the upper 100's pre.

You can take a lower-cholestral approach to Atkins and LC - eating chicken and fish instead of red meat. I take this approach - eating red meat 2 days a week and chicken, fish and seafood the other 5 days. This is basically main meal - I eat bacon 1x a week and vienna sausages 2x a week.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 20:35

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Mocha-

Could be a lot of things... was it a fasting blood draw? Have you had other cholesterol tests in the past? often? recently? before LC'ing?

You are not That overweight for your height.... Does it run in your family? and your age too ... all these kinds of things can and do affect our cholesterol... not just how much protein or red meat you eat.....

take care,
M-