Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 22:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%
Question Which diet is better-Atkins or Protein Power

I tried Atkins but feltvery restricted so I got some advice about trying the Protein power diet because it gives you a little more variety.
I have the book on order from Barnes and Noble to read and see -I have already read the Atkins diet and was very impressed.

Is there alot of differences in the 2 diets or are they basically the same??

Any advice would be very helpful
And by the way--this is the best website I have found-you guys are all so supportive and it is greatly appreciated !!!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I don't think either diet is better than the other, the are both very good. The best one for YOU is the one that you can stick with for the long term.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 10:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It depends on who you ask!

IMHO, here are the advantages to Protein Power...

You start at a certain number of carbs a day and - 30 + - and stay there until you are close to goal. No fretting about whether or how to raise your carbs or not. Believe me, the first few days are exactly like Atkins Induction.

You don't have to pee on Ketostix and fret about the readings.

You figure out your minimum protein requirements per day, based on your lean body mass.

Certain foods like lettuce, parsley and other fresh herbs are not counted as part of daily carb allowance.

You don't eat high fat dairy products thus avoiding falling into a large vat of whipped cream. Been there, done that!

Small amounts of grain products and fruit are permitted as long as they fit into your daily carb allowance.

YOu may also want to check out The 30 Day Low Carb Diet Solution that has a month of menus and recipes. It's very lenient.

As with any plan, you do it in a way that works for you. You can be following Atkins and do it more like PP or vice versa.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 11:41
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Karen,

Does the Protien Power plan work over all as good as the Atkin's plan? I have never heard of it, but I see some advantages to it from everything you have listed. Maybe I would like to move into Atkins diet combining overtones of Protien Power. I really don't think you should count spices as a carb!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 13:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Does the Protien Power plan work over all as good as the Atkin's plan?

It worked incredibly for me but I had no health challenges and was not a yo-yo dieter.

Quote:
Maybe I would like to move into Atkins diet combining overtones of Protien Power.

Some people can do this, but it can be difficult as PP is lower in fat than Atkins. It could be difficult to combine higher fat with higher carbs. BTW, I don't do the fruit or grain thing on PP. I will have a few berries every now and again.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 07:38
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Another important element of Protein Power programs is that you must divide your daily carbohydrate and protein allotment evenly throughout all your meals and planned snacks.

Meals must have a minimum amount of protein ... especially breakfast. And you don't eat just meat and fat for breakfast and lunch, then have all the day's carbs for dinner .. spreading them out through the day lessens the insulin impact from any one meal. For example, if you're following phase 1 at 30g per day, you would limit your carbs to 7 - 10g per meal, depending on if you're having snacks.

Atkins doesn't really stress that.

hth,

Doreen