Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 19:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/252/195
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Tech question on Carb

A few times I have wanted old high carb food. I had some whitecastles (tiny 1 oz beef patty burgers) without the top bun. Another time I wanted peanut butter and jelly. I used one slice of bread, lc jelly and skippy peanut butter. On the sandwich, I guess I had about 20-25 carbs. Besides eating too many carbs a day, is their a problem with eating too many carbs in one meal?
I usually have 30-40 carbs a day and am slowly and steadily losing weight.

BJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 20:24

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 246/236/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default carbs

BJ,

That is an interesting question. My GUESS would be that eating a lot of carbs at once would cause your bloodsugar to go very high and then come crashing down causing you to have those sugar cravings.
I don't have a direct answer to your question sorry.
Hang in there!!!
jojoagogo
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 23:32

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

There are two indicators to look at:

Are you still managing to lose weight?

Are your various health indices being affected?

You indicate that you are still losing weight steadily, so my guess is that your blood work (blood pressure, cholesterol profile, etc) is probably not being affected too much.

The fact remains that you are consuming FAR fewer carbs than most people so as long as you haven't established a high insulin resistance (and it appear you haven't) then you should be fine.

Is it better to not eat the bread at all? Sure. But if the alternative is to try to adhere to a plan that you simply can't, then it's better to eat the bread.

Just watch for it going from one slice or bread to both slices to such a sandwich a couple times a day and so forth. That's the real danger. It's a slippery slope and some people have better shoes than others.

And, yes, too many carbs in one meal can cause problems (the CAD folks have a somewhat different take on this and I have no idea where the actual data comes down) because it causes your blood sugar to go up higher which stimulates a correspondingly greater insulin response and generally a correspondingly sharper blood sugar crash.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/131/120
BF:
Progress: 85%

Every individual is different, but I personally just can't have the bread AT ALL - it just makes me crave it repeatedly! If you can manage to have that 1 slice of bread occasionally, and not want more, more, more, you are lucky. I, personally, am a carb addict. With more obvious (and media reviewed0 addictions, such as alcohol, drug abuse & nicotine addictions, the common treatment is abstinance.

As far as high carb meals, Drs. Rachael and Richard Heller's research says that insulin is released in two phases when you eat carbs. There is the initial phase which occurs as you take them in and they are processed, and the second phase begins 75 minutes after consumption. Theoretically, you have not done as much harm as long as you quit eating carbs within an hour after you started. This approach has never worked for me, but I thought you might be interested.

Anna
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 18:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/252/195
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hey that doesn't sound too hard. I didn't crave any other carb food afterwards. I just wanted peanut butter w/bread, nothing else at that moment. I hear numerous posts about one thing leading to another, but I'm not sure what that means. Does it mean if I eat somethng carby today, I'll crave it tomorrow? Or does it mean I want a second serving immediately?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 19:16

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

In some people it means tomorrow and in others in means now and in others it means slower weight loss and in others in means a stall and in others it means nothing at all.

Every person is very unique in their response to foods, so you either get to not take the chance or you can take the chance and watch the results and adapt your personal WOE according to the observed results.

Good Luck!