Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 17:10

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 208/185/150 Male 5ft 9'
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default im sick!!! what should i do...help please

Hey evryone, Ive been on this woe for a little while now... but right now I hve gotten the flu.. In order to fight it off ive been drinking lot otea (0 carbs) and taking medicine. Hoever my family strongly suggests that I eat some chicken noodle soup? Should I.. i dont really want to cheat..

what do u guys think?

The can says it conyains 17g carbs which is still under 20..so maybe I ca just have 1 a day?...Also it has been suggested to me that It wont really matter b/c the energy needed to fight off this flu will burn up the carbs un the soup etc... Any advice???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 17:19
~version 2.0~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

If you need the soup... I would recommend just the broth... it is warm and soothing... and you will not feel better by eating the noodles...... if you would like make your own lc soup... shredded chicken and chicken broth.. if you want put in some celery and onions... that would be a much better choice ... in my opinion

I hope you feel better soon
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 17:23
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

When you're sick, I say concentrate on getting better, and worry about the diet later. If that means chicken noodle soup, then go for it. But by all means, eat around the noodles. An even better choice would be chicken broth, canned or homemade. The homemade kind is fattier and therefore more filling, but the canned kind is easier...

Either way, I hope you feel better soon!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 17:27

BF:

Thank you so much!!! That is great advice.. I think I will try the shredded chicken in the chicken broth...Do you know how many carbs chicken broth has if any? But I getting better and better..Hopefully by tomorow or wed. at the latest (since ive been sick all weekend) I will be feeling as good as new.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 17:37
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Chicken broth, the way I make it, is carb-free. I just boil a chicken (or just a chicken breast...but whatever you use, it has to have the skin and bones on) in water for about an hour, then salt and pepper. You can add any vegetables that you want, really, but with just chicken-flavored water (sounds gross when I say it like that, huh?) you can sip it out of a mug and it's very satisfying. Add some saffron if you happen to have some.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 20:35
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Store bout chicken broth can have massive amounts of sodium. Even the low sodium kind can have up to 25% of your daily value in 1/2 cup. I managed to find a brand called Shelton's though that is extreamly low sodium.

Do you have a crock pot or slow cooker? Like was mentioned above, shove a whole chicken in and boil the heck out of it. Or pick up a bag of chicken breast tenderloins (the bonless skinless, comes in huge freezer package) kind and dice that into some veggie or chicken broth.

Turn your crockpot on high for about 3 hours, then turn it to low and just have it sitting on the counter. That way when ever you want a nice cup of soup, it's there, hot ready and waiting

This also works great for cabbage, bacon soup and other types.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 20:46

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

bacon soup? ok i want this recipe !! bacon is my fav and soup is my fav food ! ... please!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 21:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I just used a regular cabbage soup recipe. I threw in half a head of chopped red cabbage, put in some crumbled bacon as flavoring, used chicken broth as the stock, and maybe some celery and onion. Soups are great and hard to screw up. Just throw what ever you have in fridge into a pot with some water and you can usually come out with a decent meal. If not you add alot of salt and spices then call it "exotic"
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 22:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
Soups are great and hard to screw up. Just throw what ever you have in fridge into a pot with some water and you can usually come out with a decent meal. If not you add alot of salt and spices then call it "exotic"

HAHAHA!!! Thats hilarious... That does sound good though.

As for the broth.. Ill look for sheltons.. since I was just readin the label on a can of chicken broth i found in the kitchen... the sodium count was through the roof!!! While the carbs was less that 1g.. but with all of that sodium..water retention will last for yrs!!!