Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 06:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/196.5/170 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:tooooo much
Progress: 22%
Thumbs down Calories Calories

I just gained 1 1/2 pound, after only losing 5 in a month. Yesterday I only consumed about 20 grams of carbs, but my calorie count was alittle higher than normal. Heres a tipicle day. Breakfast: atkins shake Lunch: 2 eggs 4 slices bacon snack: 2 atkins candy bars dinner: 2 scoops atkins hot cereal, 1 1/2 cups broccoli, with 1 tbls of cheez whiz snack: atkins bar, and atkins candy bar. Also it seems I gain weight if I eat past a certain time of night. Does anyone else have this problem? I need all the help I can get, The scale depresses me, I think I'm obsessed with it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 06:12
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Mostlikely that 1 1/5 pounds was water weight. Don't worry to much about it. What I did want to warn you about was eating that many candy bars! I never thought they stalled me, but then for some reason I started eating a lot of them. And guess what? They stalled me! I cut them out, after a month of staying and bouncing around in the same area, and finally I got moving again.

Really I think you would be happier if you got rid of a lot of your "frankenfoods" that you are eating, and think of the money you would save! If you must, try not to go over two a day.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 06:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

Ditto on the bars, especially more than one a day!
Check out the atkins site on slow weight loss/plateaus FAQ
http://atkins.com/helpatkins/faqs/faqslow/index.html
Slow Weight Loss and Plateaus
FAQ 1-10 of 10
Could eating Advantage bars be impeding my weight loss?
This varies by individual. If you have reached a plateau and are not losing weight, try omitting the bars until weight loss resumes. Alternatively, you could exercise more to burn the extra calories or try eating only half a bar. Remember, each bar contains approximately 220 calories and these added calories could be affecting your overall weight loss. The controlled carb way of eating has an advantage over low-fat diets in that you can take in more calories and still lose more weight, but don’t regard that as a license to overeat.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 08:08

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryToU
Really I think you would be happier if you got rid of a lot of your "frankenfoods" that you are eating, and think of the money you would save!
I concur. Not only is it probably hindering your success eating a lot of fake foods isn't learning a new way of eating. It's replacing old high carb foods with immitation low carb foods. You should be getting the bulk of your carbs from vegetables as well - it will make a difference in how you feel and how your body responds.

-Nat
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 10:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/217/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:
Progress: 26%

I definately have to agree with the advice of the others. Get rid of all the bars, and candy bars. You should be getting your carbs from good nutritious foods, not processed stuff. And like Nat pointed out, you are really not learning new eating habits, you are just substituting low carb "junk food" for high carb. Just my opinion.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 10:28

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I agree, that's a lot of "bars". Looks like you still have quite a sweet tooth and might consider working on that.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 11:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'll have to agree. The candy has to go! Try more meat and salad, and REAL cheese instead of cheezwhiz. Try more veggies like celery with cream cheese or natural peanut butter for a snack, a chef salad with a pile of meat, hard boiled eggs a little cheese and a creamy dressing at dinnertime...

...and LOTS of water.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 12:18

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

To sum up the posts above: your typical diet looks very unnatural. Get rid of the atkins candy and bars and fake cheese. Eat more meat, lots more vegetables, real cheese, and healthy fats.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 12:24

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtena
and healthy fats.
And so as you are not confused, 'healthy fat's are ALL FATS, except for trans fats.

-Nat
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 15:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

All those foods are also extreamly high in sodium. You most likely gained water weight. Processed cheese such as cheese wiz is always a nono because of the trans fats.

Try to limit your self to no more then one protien style bar a day. On days you have other fraken foods such as the hot cereal, skip the bar. Save the candy substatutes for rare treats. The goal of induction is to break sweet cravings which makes it much less likely you'll give in to temptation later. The broccoli was good, it is important to have your veggies.

The Atkins web site states that you should only have one bar or shake a day. If you happen to stall then you should reduce that even more.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 18:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/196.5/170 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:tooooo much
Progress: 22%

Thanks everyone! I find your replies,and advice extremely useful, and yes I am a recovery chocoholic, Like you said I'm going from one addiction to another. I will try all your suggestions. Again, thanks, Logans mom