Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/165/180 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%
Default MCDonalds now has low carb platters

I am going by memory here.... I was there briefly today (The one in Barrhaven)

breakfast:
two round eggs, 1 full piece of bacon, sausage, canadian bacon , lettuce and tomato

They have grill chicken platters too which is the chicken breast, lettuce cheese, bacon for 3.69 I think and a patty platter which has a similar configuration.

Nice to see they have addressed it. WOuld be nice if there was a low carb bun though
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 21:29

Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

Interesting...not sure about my tummy eating lettuce for breakfast....but it is good to see!

Might try one in a couple days or so!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 01:14

Stats: 197/180/135 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 27%

I used to get the sausage & egg mcmuffin, without the 'muffin' part. Just stack the sausage, egg and cheese on a plate and give me a knife and fork - that was pretty good. They can keep the lettuce and tomato.

The lunch/dinner platters might be good, but I agree, they need a LC bun (I've heard A&W was testing them out in some of their stores, so why not McD's?)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 08:16
Registered Member

Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

Watch out for their sausage.

Quote:
Ingredients:

Pork, water, salt, sage, spices, corn syrup solids, dextrose, sugar, pepper, monosodium glutamate, natural flavoring (vegetable source), BHA propyl gallate, citric acid. May contain whey protein concentrate.

Bolding mine.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:21

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%
Exclamation Finally!!

I've also been doing the muffinless egg/bacon mcmuffin...and the occasional cheeseburger without a bun.....so this is very interesting to see.....of course it should have been expected that McDonald's would also jump on the low carb/$$ bandwagon.

There is a McDonald's in my office building (Holland Cross) so it will be intersting to see what they are offering....they are almost used to me asking for stuff without the bun....lol

At least it's an improvement...even without the lc carb bun (which also might be pretty high in carbs!!!).

Froufie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:45

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

The sausage at McDonald's is 0 carbs...and as you know eggs are 0 carbs.....I order a sausage egg biscuit and throw out the biscuit Monday-Friday, after taking my daughter to school. About an hour later I have an Advantage Choc. Coconut protien bar and have lost weight like crazy.
Now, on the other hand, sausage at Burger King tastes sweet and syrupy (bad) to me. OOOPPPSSS! see post #11 -----I stand corrected.
1/3 of a carb for the egg and 2 for the sausage

Last edited by meagan : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 11:04.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:56

Stats: 210/204/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default web site

I'm glad that McDonalds is making the option to have your meal your way. It would be nice to see low carb buns though. That being said, check out the website (www.mcdonalds.ca) you can build your meal and subtract any ingredients that you don't want. Very handy for building your own meal. The only thing that sucks though is that they don't list the dressing for the salads.

Laura
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 20:28

McDonald's sausages are not ZERO carbs - they are two carbs each. Check out this cool link..
http://www.mcdonalds.ca/en/food/calculator.aspx
you can get the ingredients to all McDonald's items...then "delete" those you don't want (e.g. ketchup, buns, muffins) to get the exact carb counts!

Very helpful!

Froufie
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 00:53

Stats: 197/180/135 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 27%

I don't mind the 2 carbs in the sausage. It's not something I eat everyday, and 2 isn't that bad for all the taste you get out of it

but yes, I am aware of the ingredients and wouldn't have more than one at any given time. I'd go so far as to say 2 would be ok as long as you're counting and cut back on the rest of your day.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 07:20
Registered Member

Stats: 218/176/165 Female 5ft 10 in
BF:?
Progress: 79%

Eggs also have carbs, .6 I believe. It's those unmentioned carbs that add up!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:00

BF:

ooopppss!!!!
I just clicked onto the McDonalds website. The egg is .3 carbs-----------------...less that 1/3 of a carb.
The sausage does say 2 carbs.
I stand corrected.
I have a brochure from 2001 that says 0 carbs for a McDonalds sausage patty right in front of me. I guess they have added a few things!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:24

Talking

Don't forget to count eggs...and cheese too! One large egg has .6 carbs so if you have two of them that's 1.2....and a slice of process cheese at McDonald's is 1.1 carbs...

I had the Beef Protein Platter for lunch today - pretty good and neat to get it served this way. I only ate one of the tomato slices to bring carb count down (website states this platter is 5.4 carbs)...and added a side caesar salad instead (1.5 carbs without the croutons)...but I did not use their dressing which was about 5.4 carbs for the packet! Used my own from home! (by the way the "platter" was not posted on their in-store menus but they did know what I was talking about when I asked for it!).

Hope this keeps my tummy full for the rest of the afternoon.

Still have to try the Breakfast Platter!

Froufie
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 12:24
Registered Member

Stats: 235/165/180 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Here is the info from their site:
The new Protein Platters offer Canadians the following meal options:

Breakfast Protein Platter: Two eggs, one slice of back bacon, one piece of strip bacon, one sausage patty and sliced tomato

Lunch / Dinner Beef Protein Platter: Quarter Pounder® beef patty, one piece of strip bacon, one slice of processed cheese, shredded lettuce, slivered onions, tomato slices and dill pickle slices

Lunch / Dinner Chicken Protein Platter: All white seasoned chicken breast, one piece of strip bacon, one slice of processed cheese, shredded lettuce, slivered onions, tomato slices and dill pickle slices
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 17:50

BF:

I picked up a new brochure at McDonalds yesterday and , again, it said sausage 0 carbs. It also said it was updated in August of 2003. Pretty strange about the website stating 2 carbs. I know I'm confused.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 17:52
Registered Member

Stats: 220/158/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I had the breakfast platter yesterday... It was good for the run... I had a million things to do yesterday so it fit my schedule but honestly I could have made the same thing at home and it would have tasted better.