Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 10:08
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default drying up

Ok - I read some old posts about dry skin. People are hydrating from the inside and the out which is interesting. Was wondering if anyone could add to these suggestions.

My skin is dry, dry, dry - ESPECIALLY in the winter. I slather baby oil on right out of the shower, usually follow up with lotion. I have non perfumed lotions for my hands and recently invested in a paraffin spa as well. I add a bit of vitamin E oil to my face night and day and that has seemed to help there. However, my hands still crack and my legs still itch! Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 10:36

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Since you live in Iowa, do you have a humidifier? It's a losing battle against winter air (indoors & out) if you don't.
Cracking hands can be caused by washing your hands with cold water. If you use warm water with the soap and then moisturize, that should help. And wear mittens or gloves outdoors as much as possible.
Burt's Bees makes a hydrating spray mist in several different formulas. I spritz my face with it several times a day and it really helps. Here's the Burt's Bees site:

http://www1.burtsbees.com/

For dry skin you can choose from the Carrot Oil spray for sundamaged/mature skin, or the Lavender Chamomile for sensitive/dry skin. I love them both!
They also have excellent creams. If you haven't tried their stuff, you owe it to yourself!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 10:57
empress of fashion

BF:

Thanks - I have seen their products but haven't tried them yet.

I do have a humidifier - need to get that cranking.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 12:19

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Ah hah! I knew there was no humidifier happening!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 12:30
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I too suffer from dry skin! Especially my hands!!
Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand cream is a godsend. Very thick (somewhat like Vaseline), but really sinks right in and locks in the moisture. It doesn't leave any greasy feeling at all.

And definitely use hot/warm water every time you wash your hands Even if just for the nice warm sensation
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/193/130
BF:
Progress: 21%
Thumbs up natural oil

Maybe try a natural oil like almond oil, safflower oil, kukui nut oil? I have a friend with allergies to EVERYTHING who uses straight vegetable glycerin. Works well!
IMO- these are much better for your skin than baby oil-which is mineral oil. Also, exfoliating works wonders- if money is tight, then use up any old sugar or brown sugar from the non LC days, mix with your regular shower gel or even with olive oil and gently scrub. I find salt burns any little nicks & cuts, but sugar does not. Hope this helps!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 16:08
empress of fashion

BF:

A sugar scrub, huh? If you can't eat it then wear it, I guess.

I think I have exfoliant - and will check out the other oils. Thanks!

Hey, I just remembered I have a jar of coconut oil in my cupboard. Can't stomach the stuff - think it would make a suitable moisturizer? car lube?

Last edited by Iowagirl : Fri, Dec-12-03 at 16:12.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 16:42
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up ding ding!

Yes! Coconut oil makes a wonderful moisturizer! Try it try it!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 17:00
empress of fashion

BF:

Hey does this stuff go bad? Kind of looks like a science experiment right now....
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 18:47
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

The Body Shop has 'body butter' in all kinds of great smells. The cream is super rich and absorbs well. When my hands get super bad, I rub straight olive oil on them several times a day, and by the next day, they are much better. (it is a little messy, though )
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 21:29

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have noticed lately that my skin has gotten so dry it hurts to smile. I couldn't figure out why I was having some much trouble this year.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 22:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303.5/283.5/170 Female 5'11'
BF:
Progress: 15%

if your hands are bad, be sure to check out the soap you are using! many antibacterial soaps are very hard on the skin. be sure to get something gentle.

i can also reccomend sally hansen 18 hour protective hand cream with shea butter. it doesnt last 18 hours (but what does!) but it is very very nice.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 22:50
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Ditto on the olive oil & sugar scrub -- kosher salt works too if you've already dumped your old sugar. Ponds makes an extra-rich dry skin cream which is really good for your face, and a thick dose of cold cream at night doesn't hurt. Have you tried rubbing lotion on your hands right before bed, then putting on a pair of cotton gloves? That usually does wonders for my hands and cuticles. If none of those things work, there's always bag balm -- it is NASTY stuff, but it works!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 14:33
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

The fish and flax seed (Omegas) oils we've been taking have done wonders for my skin.

Last edited by hey_Neener : Sun, Dec-14-03 at 16:07.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Omega
Stats: 163/123/120 Female 5'4"
BF:no idea/too much
Progress: 93%

Avoid anything with petroleum products (petrolatum, mineral oil, etc.) as they may feel good but they actually dehydrate the skin. Watchout for Chapstick! It's "addictive" because the more you use it the more you need to as it dries out your lips. Find a beeswax lip-salve.

I suffer not only from dry skin but psoriasis and skin sensitivities, but I have been using products from Dermal Therapy of London, Ontario for years. Marvellous stuff. You can find them online at Dermaltherapy.com, or call 1-800-668-800.

Be sure to drink lots of water, too.

An elderly English friend of my mother's swore that her marvelous complexion was due to drinking a cup of warm water (from the kettle, not the tap) first thing every morning. I've never fancied it myself, but it wouldn't hurt.