Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 06:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/144/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Valtrex and blood sugars

Doctor put me on Valtrex to treat bad case of shingles. Starting taking Sunday p.m. Bood sugar readings in am have skyrocketed to 1660-165. Anyone else had this experience. How long once meds are stopped will it take readings to come back down? Food intake has not changed
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 09:08

Plan: Dr Richard Bernstein's
Stats: 194/176/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi ladylaw,
The higher readings (and 165-166 is not awful) are maybe due to your body fighting the infection, rather than to the meds themselves. If so, they should go down when you sre better.
Frustrating, isn't it to watch bg's go up, even when one is really being disciplined about food...

Take care,
Uhara
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 11:49

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with Uhara. It is the infection and your body's reaction to it that is sending the BGL up.

From now on, I am just going to start the Metformin when I have an infection/cold/flu. It is the only way to rapidly get the BG's back to the 80-90's. (Atleast the only way I know of. If there is another way...I am all ears.)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/144/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Before the first eruption bg went up but after the actual outbreak of the blisters bg went back to normal. I delayed starting the Valtrex until about 10 days after the blisters appeared because using the symptoms disappear with the blisters. However this time the moving pain continued but bg stayed normal. The bg's only shot up AFTER starting the Valtrex.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-03, 20:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Certain antiviral drugs can increase your blood sugars temporarily, but they should return to normal within a few days of discontinuing therapy.
OTOH, pain, inflammation and infection can all have the effect of increasing blood sugars while your body is actively fighting the infection or producing stress hormones due to the pain.
Fasting blood sugars of 160-165 will certainly get your attention, but your doctor may have expected that result. If it's concerning you a great deal, you may want to give them a call and let them know what effect the medication is having on your blood sugars.
Hope you're feeling better soon!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 07:53

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 125/125/125
BF:
Progress:

Ask your doctor, but Valtrex needs to be started ASAP (within 48 hours if possible) to have much of a chance at helping, and , most importantly to prevent the post-herptic neuralgia.

Peace,
Jamilah
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 09:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamilah
Ask your doctor, but Valtrex needs to be started ASAP (within 48 hours if possible) to have much of a chance at helping, and , most importantly to prevent the post-herptic neuralgia.

Peace,
Jamilah

Jamilah...I wondered about that as well since most antiviral drugs need to be started within 72 hours of the onset of symptoms to have any real impact and it's unknown what help, if any, that they provide when treatment is started later.