Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 08:37

Plan: adkins
Stats: 215/215/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Default advice for beginner (again)

Hi everyone, Well I am starting new today. Did Adkins about 8 months ago. Best way of eating!! I need some advice: I am a sugar addict, always need something sweet after eating. I know the first couple of days will be kind of tough, but does anyone have any advice on how to cope with a sweet tooth? Thank so much. Chilover (chihuahua lover)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 08:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220.0/220/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi and welcome!
You've done atkins before, so ya know generally how its gonna go, which i think for some is the hardest part.

Now about the sweet tooth part, I'm in the same boat. So my advice to you (which is what works for me ) is to stay away from the sweet stuff entirely! One taste of sweet and my control gets a workout

Ok ok, my allowed sweet treat is whipped cream with peanut butter whipped in and some splenda Its so filling (and not much fills me) that I can't really go overboard.

Good luck to you!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 08:50

Plan: atkins/ paleolithic
Stats: 235/195/160 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default L Glutamine

L Glutamine has helped me with Sugar cravings, but I stopped taking it because I develop red mesquito type rashes when I take it, but it may work for you without the side effects.

Sam
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 12:01
Atkins Groupie

Stats: 265/250/150 Female 5'-6"
BF:
Progress: 13%

If your sweet tooth means some kind of pastry/cake/etc then make the cheesecake listed in the recipes and have it for a snack.

One thing I did notice was when I stay away from sugar in all it's forms completely those Advantage bars taste really good...once I have something with sugar (ie a natural sugar found in berries) they don't taste as good..go figure!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 21:12

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 330/330/280 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well Chilover, it depends on you. If you can handle having something sweet that is atkins/induction friendly then go on and have it. But if you think it'll screw you up into cheating then just stay away from it.

I honestly tell you I too HAVE to eat something sweet every day. As busy suggested LC cheesecake is a great and induction friendly dessert. I also eat LC key lime pie, LC chocolate mousse, orange creamsicles, soy shakes (i'm in a modified induction, but i did my first 2 weeks pretty much straight), coffee shakes, coffee in general lol, hey the sky is the limit. Haven't done it yet, but you could make flan or creme brulee, dont know how splenda reacts to caramelization though. Of course there's the usual SF jello, LoL. I also eat peanut butter but that's where I loose my control, LoL. I say i'm just gonna eat 1 spoonful, but then I go for 2 and 3 and then I say that's enough. So that's the one thing I do try not to eat because I know it'll just lead to more, LoL. Oh yeah I also eat Russel Stover LC peanut butter cups, they're delicious!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 07:57

Stats: 235/220/160 Female 5'9
BF:.......
Progress: 20%
Default sweet tooth

Hi and welcome aboard!

I found that (I as well have a sweet tooth) staying on the acceptable foods list religiously, took care of those cravings. The first 4-5days were quite hard but that is also the other point of the "diet" - to help you get over any sugar addiction, as well as caffeine, that you have. Stick with it and before you know it, a glass of Diet caffeine Coke will taste as sweet as chocolate.

Good Luck!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 12:18

Stats: 315/203/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I just started induction 2 days ago and I didnt realize that I cant have Atkins chocolate on induction...oopss... no wonder i'm not in ketosis yet. But I buy the peanut butter cups and put them in my freezer. When I have a choc urge, I just take one out and savour it !!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 12:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/202/140 Female 5feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
The first 4-5days were quite hard but that is also the other point of the "diet" - to help you get over any sugar addiction

I agree w/ janna, best to go 'cold turkey' for 2-week induction, it really does get better after 4-5 days. IMHO, Splenda sweetned whipped cream (keeping w/in your daily heavy cream alowance) would be as far as I would go during the first 2-weeks. Induction is VERY hard, but worth the effort, Keep up the good work and good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 19:11
Happy Loser!

Plan: Atkins food, IF 20/4
Stats: 287/238/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Chilover, I'd suggest SF jello with a little home-whipped cream on top. Or you can look up one of the recipes for mixing cream or cream cheese in when you're making the jello. They're delicious but you need to keep an eye on your cream and/or cheese allowance for the day.

Lots of us rely on: 1-2 tbsp heavy cream, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 2tsp splenda (adjust to taste). Mix it all together in a bowl until it turns into whipped chocolate cream or keep going until you get chocolate butter. Eat off the spoon!

Jill33 wrote:
Quote:
But I buy the peanut butter cups and put them in my freezer. When I have a choc urge, I just take one out and savour it !!!

Jill, I'm not quite sure from your comments whether you're still having the peanut butter cups. If you are, you might want to note that nuts aren't allowed in induction for the first two weeks. After the first two weeks you can add nuts and seeds in small amounts, even if you decide to stay on induction a while longer, but be careful as they're very moreish. I've had to cut them out again because they're a real trigger food for me.

I remember reading that some people have quite a bit of trouble with peanut butter cups and stalls. You may be fine with them of course (here's hoping!) but keep it in mind for later.

Em