Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 14:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/203.5/135
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default starting out

Everybody!

Trying to figure out this e-mail system and must admit I'm a bit stymied

Started the Dr. Atkin's low carb diet today and have already strayed!!! How does one overcome the first day jitters?

I feel I am eating all the wrong things and too much of it .... HELP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 15:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Measuring helps. You'd be surprised how off you are by eyeballing portions. In time I expect we will be better at eyeballing portions, but at the beginning it is hard to do it correctly.

Keep it simple, and don't get overwhelmed. Read, Read, Read, and then go back and read it again. The stuff in the books takes a while to sink in. If you haven't already bought a book for your plan, then it is well worth it. The books are full of great stuff, usually including recipes and carb charts. Check the charts for the veggie stuff that is really low carb or "unlimited" and make sure there is always some of that handy if you need a nibble. Make a list of the good guys and the bad guys carbo wise, and stay well clear of the bad guys untill you understand the plan, and understand if, when and how you can include small pieces of them in your meals.

(opinions of a newbie, and happy to be corrected if I'm off base. )
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 15:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/203.5/135
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default HELP!!!!

How do I get to the other forums???
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 15:14
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I can remember when I first started out, over a year ago. I tried for a day and did okay, and then we went out to eat and I went off. Then I tried again and failed to stay with it. I was thinking to myself that I couldn't give up all the carby things that I loved to eat. I had already given up pasta because I found that I would make a whole package and eat it until it was gone in about 2-3 meals. Well, I decided to try it again. I made it through almost 2 weeks and had a slip up. I figured, well I lost 12 pounds already, let's just keep on trying. So I kept at it. I had started in the third week of August 2000, around Thanksgiving I had extra squash and stuffing and cranberry sauce, but I managed to not have any potatoes. Tried to get back on the program and eventually my body got back with the program. Christmas...same thing just about, but I found that I had to wait longer for my body to get back onto a loosing weight track. Then I was steady on the program until March or April, when I found out that I would need to look for a new job. I stayed on pretty good, but every time something good happened I would go off for a meal, everytime I went for an interview (2 hour drive or more) I would eat out and go off for a meal. I was not following the program but I didn't gain too much, say 6 pounds. This fall after I started my new job I got back into a loosing streak and lost those 6 and another 6. Then Halloween came and I overendulged in low carb treats. I ended up with a Splenda hangover! Well, the scale went up again. It's finally coming back down. I'd really like to get these last 10-15 pounds off before the holidays and try to maintain them, but if I can't, I suppose I will just have to try and try again!

Don't give up!

Elihnig
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 15:16
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

You can click on Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support and pick a new category to read, or you can pick an orange (sometimes it's red) topic in the bar at the top of the page to go somewhere else.

Elihnig
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 17:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
How do I get to the other forums???

Click Support Forum, top right hand corner in the orange bar and all the forums will appear. A good way to read the site on a daily basis is to click View New Posts on that page.

Karen