Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 13:32

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22
Progress: 50%
Default Are Atkins shakes ok for breakfast on induction?

I have a really hard time forcing myself to eat eggs every morning, meat is even worse, so lately I have been having an Atkins strawberry shake, and I feel good. I know I am not supposed to have processed foods on induction, but in the book, Dr. Atkins "vouches" for any products with his name on them. Is this just marketing, or are his shakes really accaptable?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 13:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:

OK the party line is that you should wait until after induction.
THat said-the shakes are less an issue then the bars because they do not contain sugar alcohols. THe whey protein is probably as good nutritionaly as eggs. I see no harm.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 13:38
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. I don't think they're a good idea to use for anything but "emergencies". Yes, Dr A. vouched for products with his name on it, but that was back when he actually ran the company. I don't really trust them anymore and refer to that big red A logo as the Scarlet Letter. That's just me...

The shakes are certainly better than going right off plan, but there are better options. Check out the Breakfast Ideas forum. Zucchini "hash browns" are a favorite of mine when I don't want something heavy.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 14:23

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:

I had the same problem and had to do the shakes, I just couldn't choke down breakfast. I think as long as your following the rest they won't hurt you, but I also agree stay away from the other lc stuff during induction

also, I went off the atkins shakes because they were so expensive. I went to a whey protien shake and my wallet is smiling ( as is my tummy!!) I found a chocolate and vanilla ice-cream flavored one and I alternate them!! Just make sure you watch your carb intake...not all protein shakes are created equal!! some load the carbs as well!!

hope this helps!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:36

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 270/210/150 Female 65 inches
BF:50?/VERY/22

Thanks everyone! I think I will continue to have shakes for breakfast, but probably not everyday. will also check other cheaper brands when I run out!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 17:38
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care

The problem I have found with the Atkins shakes is that they have very few calories in them, and so aren't very satisfying to me. Also, they are mostly protein. That is a no-no on induction. Atkins implores us to enjoy high-fat meals on induction--they are more satiating.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 09:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

I also use the shakes for breakfast....I can't stomach breakfast type foods! before atkins I was a toast and banana person or maybe cereal but nothing fried or greasy like eggs or bacon or sausage! Most times I didn't eat breakfast at all...food just isn't too palatable in the morning to me.

Just a to let you know...l've been using the new lo carb slim fast shakes and they are much cheaper! For a 4 pack of atkins it's anywhere from 7.99 to 9.99....for a 4 pack of the slim fast it is 4.99 so it is quite a bit cheaper and I've used them for several weeks with no stalling!

good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 169/132/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 128%

I have found a product that helps me a bit and I find it on sale at WalMart all the time .. like $6 for 6 of them ...

http://www.easadvantedge.com/produc...arb_control.asp

AdvantEdge® Carb Control™ Ready-to-Drink

Nutritional Facts
Serving size 1 container (11 oz)
Amount Per Serving
General Nutrition
Calories 110
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Total Carbohydrates 2 g
Sodium 260 mg
Potassium 380 mg
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Protein 15 g
Ingredients:
Filtered water, whey protein concentrate specifically filtered and ion-exchanged whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate, calcium caseinate, high oleic sunflower oil, vitamin and mineral blend (magnesium citrate, potassium citrate, sodium citrate, sodium asorbate, Vitamin A palmitate, beta-carotene, cholecalfiferol, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, niacinamide, zinc gluconate, thiamin hydrochloride, folic acid biotin, chromium chloride, potassium iodide, phytonadione, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite and cyanocobatamin), natural and artificial flavors, fructoligosaccharide, soy extract cellulose, gel cellulose gum, xanthan gum, sodium hexametaphosphate, maltodextrin, carageenan, dextrose, potato starch, and sucralose. Note: Fructooligosaccharide is included in the total calorie count but is not included as carbohydrate.
Recommended use:
Serve cold and shake well before consuming. Use 2 to 3 servings daily. Refrigerate after opening.