Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 21:00

Plan: low carb
Stats: 250/244/195
BF:
Progress: 11%
Unhappy okay - I made a big mistake

I love Chili. So I made the big mistake of making a big batch on Sunday for the week (I work two jobs so I need to make my weekly meals on Sunday). I figured that if I left out the beans and added extra beef to make more servings that I'd be able to lower the carbs enough. Yeah right. The tomato sauce (even though I used about half of what I used to use) has carbs, the chili seasoning has carbs and even the hot dogs have carbs. Must say that stepping on the scale tonite was an eye opener. Pretty much back to where I started a few weeks ago.

I'm sure drinking a diet coke everyday probably doesn't help either. I'll take this as a learning experience, a gradual move to Low Carb and start over.

I tried this diet about 5 years ago and lost 20 pounds in two weeks on the induction diet. Didn't lose anything the first week so I cut out the small salad I was having with lunch and whoosh - I was in heaven the second week. I actually lost the 20 pounds in about 5 days. Then it stopped all of a sudden. Got discouraged and when my wife really wanted me to taste a cookie from a batch she had baked I totally fell off the wagon - it was so good and super sweet thanks to low carbing. I must say that it took about 2 1/2 years to gain the weight back eating "normal" so that was good. Not like typical yoyo dieting.

Anyway, just wanted to share that. With the help of all of you I've at least, for the most part, been sticking to the plan. Just fell behind with my daily lunch.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 23:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I eat chili with no ill effects

Hubby is the cook in our family. When He cooks chili, I eat much fewer carbs during the day. Then at meal time, I eat very few beans in the chili and put in a serving of colby and a dolop of sour cream. He keeps a watchful eye on my carb intake.

I have not had a problem.

Black57
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 10:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Don't worry too much, Moo. Just try each day to make good decisions. If you can treat this as a WOL rather than a diet, it's much easier to keep from getting discouraged. I'm only going on my 6th week, but I have had a few "vacations" as well, and this way of thinking helps me.

Didn't lose anything the first week so I cut out the small salad I was having with lunch and whoosh - I was in heaven the second week.

Since you were only one week into Induction, cutting out the salad may not have been the reason the weight came off the second week. From what I have seen in this forum so far, many people don't see the weight loss until the middle or end of the second week. That is what happened with me as well. And those who truly have metabolic resistance only find it out after a longer period of time.
So eat all the veggies you can within your carb limits! If you don't get enough fiber, you may wind up with constipation. Then you might bloat up like a pumpkin and have a harder time losing! Don't forget to subtract the fiber grams from the carb grams to give you your NET CARB GRAMS.

Good Luck!

Amy Mc