Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 11:51
Alan Rickman Addict

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%
Unhappy To a Confusing Point in My LC Journey

I have reached a point in my weight loss where I'm kind of confussed. I've "officially" (On my scale... my inlaw's says 34 ....) lost 32 lbs, 14.9% body fat and a lot of inches.
I was never heavy (by health standards, but in other people's eyes I was "huge" )until a few years ago when I ballooned up 80 lbs in 1 year and maintained that until I started LCing. I was always around 135 lbs, and at my smallest was 140-145 (muscle gain from constant weight lifting )
Now that I've broken through the 190's, I'm noticing that I'm feeling more and more uncomfortable and, well, weird. It feels so forgien that I can see my ribs, feel/see my bones in general. Sometimes I think that I've lost more than I should and need to stop, but other times I see that I've still got a ways to go. My body is continuing to lose steadily (5lbs in the past week, although 3 of those lbs I've been gaining and re-losing since March ) and I'm not anywhere near emaciated, so I know I'm not risking my health.
I guess my question is, is this normal and will it go away? My SO's terrified that I'm falling back into my old weight obsessed ways (bulimic since I was 11/12 years old, "clean" for a few months...) and he's even starting to scare me....
Anyone else gotten to/gotten through this point? And how did you deal with it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 16:26

Stats: 180/144.6/132.2
BF:
Progress: 74%
Smile

Well I don't know if it's normal but I sorta know what you mean.

I think its just that you're not used to looking how you look and its a big change, and sometimes changes can be scary.

I think you just have to be positive about it, its a great thing that you can feel your ribs! I recently discovered I have hip bones, something I didn't know I had!

You need to enjoy the process of losing weight and have fun discovering how different and fabulous you look.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 17:09

Plan: Dr.Atkins' New Diet Revolution Revised and updated
Stats: 238/230/145
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default To Seto Kaiba

Hi Seto Kaiba,
I'm new to the low carb thing but I'm not new to the bulimia thing. I have been to a very low weight before and I remember the fear. What I have found is weight is a protection, you are losing the illusion of protection. Try to figure out what you are afraid of . I don't know if you've heard this one or not but we are always in one of two realities. There is FEAR and there is LOVE. The fear isn't real. Keep digging till you find the truth! You are safe at a smaller size. We get so use to hating ourselfs because we are fat that when the fat is gone we have to figure out why we are still stressing. Am I talking too much? BREATH and know that ALL IS WELL! c.c.cando
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 17:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congrats - not just on your weight loss, but on being free from purging for this long. I know how hard it is to let go of ED behaviours, especially when they're rooted from the time you were a kid. It sounds like you're really taking care of your body now.

I know it feels wierd. Try to enjoy it, though - maybe treat yourself to some new clothes or something. I deal with it by enjoying my body's strength, likely longevity, and likely avoidance of illness - *not* it's appearance, or how it compares to that of celebrities. You're doing a really good thing for yourself. Your body would thank you.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 17:23
Alan Rickman Addict

Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%
Thumbs up Thanks, everyone!!!!

SnowWhite, c.c.cando, Kristine,

Everything that you've said has rang true (At least somewhere in my mind. )

c.c.cando,
Quote:
Try to figure out what you are afraid of . I don't know if you've heard this one or not but we are always in one of two realities. There is FEAR and there is LOVE.

I didn't really thing about it that way...... I've gotten over my "most stupid person in the universe" view of myself and now that I'm losing, I guess I am panicing that I won't have a reason to hate myself.......

BTW, you definately aren't talking too much.....
Welcome to the board!

Again, thanks all!!!! You've all given me much to ponder.....