Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 11:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry Aol ~ Atkins...ick!!

If any of you have aol, look at their supposed news section. They have a story running about Dr. Atkins titled "Diet Doctor Died Obese." When you read the article, it says this

"Stuart Trager, chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council in New York, told the Journal that Atkins' heart disease stemmed from cardiomyopathy, a condition that was thought to result from a viral infection.

Atkins' weight was due to bloating associated with his condition and the time he spent in a coma after his head injury, and he had been much slimmer during most of his life, Trager said."

Grrr...that makes me so mad! Nothing like misleading information....Aol only proves their own stupidty with their obvious contradiction! I would delete my aol account if I hadn't met my boyfriend through it... my sad, sentimental self
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 11:36

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

That is the News media for you misleading headlines more readers sells more But I know how you feel it's like having some one slander the one who gave you a new start on life. It has been going on for centuries and will go on for years to come just know : you know the Truth and the Truth will set you free.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 14:32

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

I was going to post the same thing that it seems they are definately trying to sabotage Dr. Atkins efforts. Just like I saw a commerical the other day from a weight loss place/plan-whatever, in which they were telling people that low carb didn't work for them and that they could still eat bread and lose weight...and the newest attacks in the news against Atkins is horrible. They know it works and they are losing money and they want to counterattack it.

The news is horrible anyway because one day tomatoes is good for you, the next it isn't etc. so you can't go by them anyway...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 15:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

I hadn't read that, but then, I rarely read the news. Like Leasmom said, you can't go by them anyway, so why bother. I know that Atkin's works for me, and the people who know me, amd have seen me shrink from a 26 to a 20, know that it works.

That is all that really matters anyway.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 15:40

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

There are several discussions about this going on in the Research/Media Watch forum here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4

It seems that PCRM/PETA is behind the whole thing with illegally obtained medical records on Dr. Atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 16:29

PETA...that explains it! Even if he was 200-something pounds, I don't think that has to do with anything because I was 250 lbs and looked like I was 150, because of how the weight was distributed on me!!! Everyone's body is different and he was not a short man. I just think that's awful they would do that...and to think I was a vegetarian and supporter of Peta for a short time...I still get mail from them. How horrible!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:24

Stats: 275/266/175 Female 5'10"
BF:voluminous
Progress: 9%

This reminds of when Jim Fixx, the running guru died while out running. What the media chose to ignore was that he had a family history of heart disease and had outlived his father by at least a decade! Adele Davis died of cancer but she was in her seventies back when getting to your seventies was good! What the media chooses to ignore is that we will all die at some time of some thing and just because we follow a certain lifestyle doesn't mean that lifestyle killed us. It may well be that it kept us alive longer than the conventional "wisdom" would have kept us alive! Even if he had gotten heart disease the usual way maybe if he had eaten low-fat, hi-carb he may have died much earlier and of heart disease instead of the fall!!! Ar-r-r-r-rgh!! Some guy on the radio was really sneering about this despite people calling in to say how much it had helped them. It was SO-O-O-O aggrevating!! I should email the guy!!!! This hits close to home because my dad almost died the same way! OOH-H-H I am mad!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:34

They said that Atkins was less than 200 lbs before he fell and that he gained the weight because of fluid gain...how dare they take that and try to use it to smear him...that's just low!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:19

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Isn't the media awful?!!? I try to verify everything, but with 1 huge conglomerate owning most of the broadcast news stations, what it the truth about anything they report? The media will but a spin on any peice of any fact they can find, don't believe anything unless it can be verified, even things you agree with. If we all take a stand for media literacy, maybe we can change the way "news" is reported. Sorry, that is one of my pet peeves. I'll get off my soapbox now. Beth
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:06

BF:

Thanks for the link Lisa

Beth, I know what you mean. The problems with media is one of those issues I could go on and on about. I watch CNN on tv, but mostly get my news from online sources....bbc.com...the Nation...etc. It's disturbing how certain companies and people have strong business ties to news sources and can affect what news is available to the American people. grrrrrr...hehe
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: my own, high fiber low fat
Stats: 850/502/250 Male 6' 01
BF:
Progress:

Guys and Girls HELLOOOOOO!!

CHILL OUT!

Re read that AOL article, he was under 200 when he fell, and for a six foot guy, thats ok!

See, brain damage kills you by systemic failure of the myriad bodily systems, one of which is renal failure.

Gang, when your kidneys go, you just swell up, and they were giving him IV, which is saline (salt water right in the viens, its a bad thing to do to someone that isnt throwing the water off

Yeah, the headline blurb is misleading but the real story is revealed in the text
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 12:15

BF:

DrRay,
The misleading media was my purpose in posting it...it's a subject that always bothers me.

Last edited by Zymi : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 12:36.