Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 07:24

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%
Question Help with Measuring Veggies, etc...

Hi Karen

Not sure if I'm supposed to post this here, but I thought I'd take a chance...

As cooking is new to me I was wondering how you measured your vegetables. Ie: asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli florets, avocado (I know a fruit, but...), to be exact. Do you put them in a measuring cup? or do you weigh them I will be getting fresh/raw vegetables, and weighing/measuring before cooked.

I have a food scale and have been wondering if it would be easier to weigh the veggies by ounce, instead of trying to measure amounts by cup. Just wondering

And also, would 8oz on the scale be the same as one measured cup???

Like I said, I'm a bit clueless, but am hoping you can help make this "easier" for me

I know I have another question, but right now it escapes me

TIA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 08:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello mom2girls!

There is a link here that expalains weighing vegetables vs. volume.

For some vegetables, weighing is easier and for others it depends. Asparagus is fine by the spear and avocado by portion like 1/2 or 1/4. Also with weighing, you'll be surprised at how much an ounce is of some vegetabels which opens up your options.

Soon, you'll be able to eyeball it and know!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 13:59

Karen,
Thanks for the response and the links. I know that we use the measuring cup to measure 8 fluid ounces which is a measure of volume. whereas, when we measure weight, say a pound, or 16oz, we are measuring in mass. And one 8oz of fluid does not equal 8oz of something weighed. To quote you " A cup is 8oz in volume, but it is not 8oz in weight". I totally get and understand this.

When I want to measure fluid, I'll use the measuring cups. When I want to measure solids, I'll use the scale and measure by weight. I'm assuming when i measure out something in weight on the scale, say by the oz, I can just put that number into fitday, and it will give me the correct stats for cals, fats, carbs, etc.... Or am I way off in thinking this?

I've notice a lot of things on Fitday are by the cup, but they give the option, most of the time to refresh the nutrients to 1oz, and then depending on how many oz you have, you can make the appropriate change. I'm assuming this 1oz is for weight not volume????

I also noticed that fitday takes into account cooked or uncooked. Which means I can either measure something before it is cooked, or measure it after it is cooked? But I think i will measure it before it is cooked to get a more accurate weight measurement/reading????

Again, sorry to bombard you with this question, as you have gone over it many times already.

TIA for all your help
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 13:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I've notice a lot of things on Fitday are by the cup, but they give the option, most of the time to refresh the nutrients to 1oz, and then depending on how many oz you have, you can make the appropriate change. I'm assuming this 1oz is for weight not volume????

If it's a liquid, it's a fluid ounce. If a solid, it's by weight.
Quote:
I also noticed that fitday takes into account cooked or uncooked. Which means I can either measure something before it is cooked, or measure it after it is cooked? But I think i will measure it before it is cooked to get a more accurate weight measurement/reading????

It's fine for vegetables but the fat content in meat changes when it's cooked so the fat and calorie counts would be different.

HTH,

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:20

yes it does. Thank you