Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 11:51

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%
Default 'Galloping gout is blamed on fad diets'

The above just appeared in 'The Observer' - a leading British newspaper.

Galloping gout is blamed on fad diets
Stephen Khan
Sunday January 18, 2004
The Observer

In the nineteenth century it allowed cartoonists to poke fun at portly old gents with throbbing big toes. Now, however, gout is no laughing matter for a growing band of much younger men and women.
Rates of the incurable disease, once synonymous with outrageous, upper-class over-indulgence have more than doubled since the 1950s and experts are predicting a further surge as more people enjoy excessive lifestyles at an early age.
While carrying too much weight greatly increases the risk of gout, shedding weight quickly can also spark the condition. Rapid action weight loss plans such as the Atkins diet, which cut out entire food groups, are already precipitating attacks.
Gout strikes when uric acid builds up in the body to such an extent that the kidneys are unable to flush it out. The acid crystallises, then collects around joints. In 70 per cent of cases the first area hit is the big toe, to which crystals are drawn by gravity.
Gout can cause excruciating pain and lack of mobility. Eventually, crystal build-up can wear down joints to such an extent that they are rendered useless.
Famous victims of the arthritic condition include numerous Dickens characters along with real-life sufferers Henry VIII, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Immanuel Kant, Samuel Johnson and Thomas Jefferson. Another, Benjamin Franklin, described it as an enemy which 'would not only torment my body to death, but ruin my good name', such was gout's association with alcohol.
Ian Phillips doesn't drink any more. He's only 30, but the security guard at Heathrow Airport has been plagued by gout for seven years. 'I was 23 when it began,' he said. 'I thought I had a broken ankle, or perhaps a sprain. But the pain was too extreme for that. It went undiagnosed for four years. When the tests came in I couldn't believe it. I thought, "How have I got gout? That's a disease rich old folk get."'
Phillips had a fairly stable diet and hadn't touched alcohol since the age of 20, but for four years beforehand he'd been in the Royal Navy and admits to having drunk heavily. Often, though, there is a hereditary factor and Phillips's grandfather was also a sufferer. When he was diagnosed, Phillips was teased by friends, but since then his condition has worsened and they have seen just how debilitating a condition it can be. 'The pain is hard to describe. I'm a 6ft 3inch doorman and security guard, but it has had me in tears.'
Ankles, knees, elbows, and shins are all affected. He has spent lengthy periods in hospital and, on occasions, has been confined to a wheelchair. 'I started a new job last year and I had a bad attack soon afterwards, resulting in two weeks off work. It's embarrassing, but what can I do? I'm afraid that I will soon become unemployable.'
Many more women are now having to deal with the disease. Once, there were vir tually no female gout sufferers, but now one in five people with the disease is a woman.
Shelly Rees-Langley had her first attack in the middle of the night. She was 38 years old. It came shuddering up from her big toe. 'It was excruciating,' she said. Her husband rushed her to hospital and the hospital diagnosed it as gout. It was Boxing Day and hospital staff asked Rees-Langley if she'd been indulging over the festive season. She had not. But she had been dieting.
Dr Michael Snaith of the UK Gout Society, a charity which was formed a year ago to raise awareness of the growing affliction, believes the type of gout sufferer is changing and that many more women will develop symptoms in coming years.
'It is almost inevitable that younger women will start to develop gout because they are getting fatter and binge-drinking,' he said. 'I expect to see a lot more women with gout, as they are behaving more like men in their eating and drinking habits.'
About 0.5 per cent of the UK population in the Fifties suffered from gout. The latest figures suggest that figure is now around 1 per cent - 500,000 people.
Dr Snaith added that the Atkins diet could precipitate gout, because, as a high-protein diet, it burns off fat and produces lactic acid. It then joins a queue of acids waiting to be expelled by the kidneys and uric acid levels remain high. Crystallisation follows.That is what happened to 40-year-old Richard Jaques.
'I'm an ex-rugby player and carry a bit of weight,' he said. 'I went on the Atkins last year.' The side-effects of the diet triggered an attack. Jaques is hit by three or four bouts of gout a year, but the Atkins-led episode was different. 'Normally it comes on quickly, but when I was following the Atkins it built up slowly over three weeks. By the end I was in a lot of pain.'

Link to original
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_n...1125587,00.html
If anyone would like to refute this I have a young medical student friend of mine would like to know.

Last edited by RCFletcher : Mon, Jan-19-04 at 11:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 12:17
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

«While carrying too much weight greatly increases the risk of gout, shedding weight quickly can also spark the condition. Rapid action weight loss plans such as the Atkins diet, which cut out entire food groups, are already precipitating attacks.»

Food groups cut on Atkins: sugar, white flour, trans fats, commercial breakfast cereals, pastries, candy, soft drinks, fruit juices, pasta, white rice, milk (at first),the most starchy vegetables (at first), the sweet fruits (at first)...
I don't think that these foods could help someone prevent gout...but who knows, maybe margarine, pop tarts and Coke contain some anti-gout factors yet to be discovered!

«Dr Snaith added that the Atkins diet could precipitate gout, because, as a high-protein diet, it burns off fat and produces lactic acid.»

First, the burning of fats DOESN'T PRODUCE lactic acid...the burning of glucose without oxygen does...and does that mean that it's now wrong to «burn off» fat, i.e. lose weight?

«Crystallisation follows.That is what happened to 40-year-old Richard Jaques.
'I'm an ex-rugby player and carry a bit of weight,' he said. 'I went on the Atkins last year.' The side-effects of the diet triggered an attack. Jaques is hit by three or four bouts of gout a year, but the Atkins-led episode was different. 'Normally it comes on quickly, but when I was following the Atkins it built up slowly over three weeks. By the end I was in a lot of pain.' »

Ok, if that's supposed to be scientific proof...
Some guy WHO ALREADY HAS GOUT 3 or 4 times a year has it again, but now since he says it was «a different attack», it's the diet's fault...gimme a break!
The other examples they give are not better...Some ex-alcoholic with a HEREDITARY DEFECT, some woman who «has been dieting» (probably not on Atkins, since it would have been plastered all over the media..) and some celebrity historic people. If they were trying to convice us that a low-carb diet could cause gout or «precipitate it», they failed badly.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-04, 14:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My dad suffers from gout. If anything his diet is pretty high in refined carbs, low in proteins and fats. When he gets gout the dietician recommend he abstain from things like spinach, peanuts.

Oh, here's a web site with info: http://arthritis.about.com/cs/goutdiet/

According to the American Medical Association (AMA), purine-containing foods include:

Beer, other alcoholic beverages.
Anchovies, sardines in oil, fish roes, herring.
Yeast.
Organ meat (liver, kidneys, sweetbreads)
Legumes (dried beans, peas)
Meat extracts, consomme, gravies.
Mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower.

It doesn't look to me to have much of anything to do with low carb diet.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:12

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I have had two gout attacks since I began a low-carb lifestyle. I had none before hand. That being said, I feel the weight loss and much healthier blood chemistry I now have greatly outweigh any minor problems that may have ensued from it.

I did read in one low-carb book that gout attacks can result from weight loss. The excess uric acid becomes temporarily more concentrated in the tissues as it takes longer to eliminate the acid than the weight. This can result in gout episodes that will decrease as the excess uric acid is slowly eliminated.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:15
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

Thanks for sharing that Dodger...
Are you still suffering from it?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:16
Too kinky for you

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

I got gout from drinking cider in my youth. Have had NOTHING from from doing atkins... Besides, drinking all the water we do helps the kidneys handle the uric acid, surely
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

I get angry when some Pot Herb gets a few other Pot Herbs together and blaims Dr Atkins Lo-carb diet for their ills.

How many people with diabetes hypertension are now off medication because of low carb diets?

I'm getting mad now so i won't say any more.

(Must be the meat i had for lunch)

Lez