Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/131/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Unhappy Water retention blues

I started LCing a week ago and felt great up until yesterday. I felt so bloated and then realized that my period was due in a week. I was so happy on Wednesday morning because I had lost another pound. I followed the Atkins diet religiously and this morning gained more than 1 pound! I absolutely hate these weight fluctuations before my period and I feel downright awful with all this bloating. My body looks like I gained 10 pounds even though the scale only shows a 1 pound gain. Has anyone else experienced this? I tell myself it's only temporary but I feel so bad during this time...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 13:16

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Talinka,
Sorry I don't have any answers just thought you needed a hug Pat S
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 13:34

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

Talinka,

Happens to me too. Even though we know its water retention, it doesn't make the gain any less disappointing. I try not to weigh myself during that time.. and I look at it as an opportunity to wear my most comforting clothing and not worry about how I look. Most of all, I don't allow it to interfere with my eating habits. I love the whoosh after it's all over and done with!

Hang in there!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 14:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/211/134 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 43%

oddly when I retain water the solution has been to drink MORE water, lots of it,

at least for me, julienne
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default oh, yeah!

Yeah, I get really bloaty right before and during TOM. But I can still wear the jeans I could barely fasten six weeks ago - and be active in them. I'm really looking forward to when I'm done, cause I know the tummy is going to reduce drastically! And drinking more water seems to help.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 00:05
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi Talinka!

This is absolutely normal and I know how irritating that can be. My fluctuations have passed about 2 weeks ago, I'm doing this for 2 months now. The others are right : the more water you drinnk the faster your body can reach the balance.
Look at my link below, the one about weight roller coaster. It helped me a lot once!
Take care!
Alina
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 13:39
Registered Member

Stats: 152/131/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Thanks so much, everyone, for all your support and information! I felt a lot better after reading that you had a similar experience. My weight actually went back down a little yesterday which supports the idea that these are fluctuations and not actual gains!

Thanks again!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 14:16
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi,

I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that drinking green tea helps with water retention -
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 23:15
Registered Member

Stats: 209/197/150
BF:32%/30%/23%
Progress: 20%
Angry Me Too!

Yep.

I have this exact same problem each month. I can have lost 2/3lb in the couple of weeks preceding TOM and then for around 4 days I retain water AND have constipation which is only relieved when TOM arrives. This can amount to a really significant gain on the scales and like you - feeling physically swollen all over to the extent that I look 10lbs heavier!.

Sometimes being a woman is yuck!