Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 22:41
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 158.5/124.4/112 Female 60 in.
BF:33%/26%/???
Progress: 73%
Default Before you started Atkins...

Did you do anything special in the few days or week before. I mean, did you juice fast or do anything to "cleanse" your body before you changed to this completely different way of eating? Is it better to just start cold turkey or is there any advice you can give me. I assume I'll be weak in the first few days so I need to keep my schedule in mind. Spring break is now & I've got no other commitments other than my DD and DH so I think this is the perfect time to "start again." Sigh... I've been on and off and on and off the program (as well as others) for over 2 years now. Things just get so hectic that I fall off the wagon. I'm motivated more than ever though so I know I can do it this time!

Paty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 22:59

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

I believe that's what induction is all about... it's the cleansing phase. Just follow induction to the T and you'll be fine. Don't starve your body in order to kick start this plan... it's not a requirement.

G'luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 06:10
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

The day before I started Atkins, I had my last big carb blowout! Since I was not going to be eating pasta anymore! Pesto Pasta with chicken, and warm fresh baked bread! Now I have switched the Pasta with spaghetti squash, and am happy enough with the change. In the past I use to take a "day off" my diet, usually WW just after I weighed in. Following this WOL I no longer feel the drive to do this. Six weeks and haven't gone off the plan yet YEA for me!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 08:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

ditto MaryToU!!

<b>paty</b>, I started just after Christmas and New Year (jan6,2003) so I had everything I needed to get rid off (good excuse too!!)

I look at Induction as your path towards Low Carb way. It takes 2 weeks but some people stay on that path much longer than others. Call it a door if you wish...but I do not see any reason why someone would get stuck passing a door (well,....no. I don't!!).

In any case, I'd say: <b>go cold turkey</b>. Boum!!!

Ciao
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 08:46

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was in a state of self-disgust due to weight gain. Bought the book on the recommendation of a friend, read most of it in one day, dove right in to induction with no advance preparation. Stayed on induction 2-3 weeks then moved into OWL. It worked, is still working, and I will NEVER quit.

Good luck

Last edited by csj : Wed, Mar-26-03 at 08:50.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 09:20
Registered Member

Stats: 209/197/150
BF:32%/30%/23%
Progress: 20%
Default Cut out the caffeine!!!!!

My advice to anyone who is going to switch to this way of life is to reduce your caffeine over the week prior to induction otherwise it will be much more painful than it needs to be.

I am convinced that most if not all of the unpleasant side effects on induction are caused by withdrawal from caffeine (ie. lethargy, headaches)

Good Luck
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 09:24

Stats: 375/336/165
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi,

I agree about the caffeine reduction, unless you are gung ho to just start, which is your choice. In fact, I spent a month preparing by eating breakfast -- somthing that was very hard to do, cutting out my beloved Diet Pepsi, reducing nutrasweet, and going off caffeine totally. It made it easier for me.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 09:27

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I didn't do anything to prepare but I did choose a week when I knew I could be home most of the time, since I knew I'd have some rotten days. Sounds like you've chosen a perfect time...so I say go for it!

Tricia