Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 07:02

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Angry NOOOO! Not again!

This is what always happens on low-carb. I lose 10 lbs, then I gain back 5, then I don't lose any more. This time I am slowly gaining back all of the 10. I cut my carbs to twenty, drink lots of water, I eat mainly chicken. What's going on??!!?? The very first time I went on PP, rather sloppily I might add, I lost 40 lbs, then stalled. After that, I just stalled. I really want to lose the weight, I'm in nursing school and need to have a lot of energy to work and keep up with my son and do the things I like to do! I don't know if I've lost inches because I'm not sure I'm measuring in the same places. Except I do know I lost 2 inches from my hips, nowhere on that part of my anatomy is larger than 57. Sooo, what should I do. I went to fitday. I do eat an Atkins ice cream bar daily. I also use sf gum and cough drops since I cough a lot from my BP medicine. I should be losing but its hard to stay focused. Help!! Oh, and I'm pre-menopausal!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 07:56

Plan: slow and local
Stats: 150/133.2/100 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hello

Its possible that your weight "gain" is only temporary - I know that I go up EIGHT or TEN pounds after seeing a new low - then I drop that plus a couple more to see another new low. I've been in a stall the past 6 weeks - no new low in sight. But what choice do I have? Quit, gain back what I've lost, and go back to being hungry all the time??

The only advice I could give is the same old tired verse you hear from everybody - cut the sugar alcohols, watch the dairy, slam back your water, etc., etc.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 08:09
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I was just reading DANDR last night and he's got a whole section on prescription meds that can stall you. I didn't pay any attention to blood pressure meds because I don't take them, but I think they are on that list.

If you have the book, I'd advise taking a look in there, and maybe the chapter (20, I think) on slow weight loss or stalls. There are a host of ideas as to what could be wrong, meds, Candida, high metabolic resistance, etc.

I think we are too quick to look at water, sugar alcohols or calories as the culprit (I do it too, it's just so ingrained in me after spending so much time on low-carb bulletin boards); we don't go back to the source. I don't think Dr. Atkins ever advocated upping our water if we aren't losing.

I've been dealing with a plateau for a while too, and decided to actually try the supplements that Dr. A suggests in his book, the L-carnitine, the CoQ10, the chromium. I don't know if it will work, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Valerie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 11:11
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgottago
I cut my carbs to twenty, drink lots of water, I eat mainly chicken. What's going on??!!??

Can you give us some more details about what you eat and how much you exercise? What do you mean by you cut your carbs to twenty and you eat mainly chicken? Chicken doesn't have carbs. Are you eating vegetables? Are you eating enough fat -- if your main source of protein is chicken, you need to be getting some fat from elsewhere in your diet.

If you post a couple of days worth of menus, and some information about your exercise, it would be easier for people to give you advice.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 12:47

Stats: 240/175/120 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 54%

I am the exact same. I lost 5 lbs - stalled - gained about 1 lb a week - back up 5 lbs and so really back to the start again and i havent changed what i have eaten at all.

As I live on routine.

I was thinking about going onto another plan instead.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 15:34

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

As women we maintain fluids and one day we can be heavier the next not. It depends on how much fluid you carry from day to day. I ate some beef with gravy yesterday and I've been feeling bad today because my pants are tighter, the ones that were looser, and I went to take a nap and my leg started swelling, so I took my high blood pressure pills and I'm about to go take my dd to practice teeball, maybe that will make me feel better...if I can move around this time instead of just standing there and having her fetch the ball...

I know that I will feel better tomorrow because I'm watching my carbs today and this is just a bump in the road!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 10:16

BF:

Thank you all for your help. I do think it's related to fluids, since I also take a diuretic. Also with TOM coming and going with no set pattern, it makes a difference. I am eating salads, but I was eating a chicken leg and thigh for breakfast, 2 string cheeses and a low carb bar for lunch, then 2 cups of salad with full-fat ranch and about 6 oz of chicken or beef and an Atkins ice cream. Sometimes I would skip breakfast, or have 2 hamburger patties for lunch. Anyway, between TOM and the pills, I think I will stop using the scale and just measure. I don't want to stop since I don't want to go back to my voracious appetite.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 14:14

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

to make sure you measure in the same place, measure where you measure - e.g. I do upper arm 6" above my elbow crease. I do mid-thigh 6" above the top of my kneecap when standing. waist - some " above top of navel. etc.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 18:44

BF:

Good idea LisaS! I was wondering how I could figure that out. I think I will make a formula and write it in my journal!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 19:02
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

You might want to try cutting out the lowcarb bar. Most of them have sugar alcohols and sugar alcohols stall a lot of people (including me!).
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 08:23

BF:

I probably should. I will dig out my old lunch box and take egg salad or something for lunch. I refuse to quit!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 09:54

Stats: 298/209/170 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi have to agree about the sugar alcohols. When I start using them I stall or even gain. Also, when I use the low carb products like the "la tortilla factory tortillas" I gain stall or gain as well. When I switched back to real foods, meat, eggs, and veggies I lost 10.5 lbs in 10 days after over a week long stall. Give it a try. You and I might be in the same boat.

Lauri
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 13:06

BF:

The thing with the sugar alcohols is that I've used them and taken my cbg 10 minutes and 15 minutes after and they have not caused a spike. I thought I was safe from stalling because of that. I really think for me its an issue of fluids since I have a problem with edema. I have a DRs appt. Tues to see if I can correct my meds. I noticed a big difference in a pair of pants that used to be tight so I think I will first religiously track what I eat, then see where I can adjust it from there. Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 02:00

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

Yep, lose the ice cream, the low carb bars, and other non-real foods for 2 weeks and see what happens. I know it probably too obvious, but the cough drops are sugar free, right? Even so.. those things stop me, and a lot of people from losing.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 09:05

BF:

Yes, the cough drops are sugar free. I thought I could have my cake and eat it too, but no. I will try 2 weeks without the sugar alcohols and see what happens. I didn't want to face the fact that it could be them, and I'd have to give them up. I just want to lose and have more energy!! OK, here I go on a new start!

Last edited by itsgottago : Sun, Feb-29-04 at 09:06. Reason: I can't spell