Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/175/155
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Night time eating

Hi, I have only been on induction for a week and I wanted to know about night time eating. I was always told that one should never eat before going to bed. Since being on induction my appetite is shrinking and i do not feel startving like I used to. I work days and then 3 nights a week at another job so when I come home I like a little snack. I have been having smoked fish(sardines) or something similar. I this against the rules or can I eat when ever I am hungry?

Thanks

Sherriff
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 09:43

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

I am currently trying to add muscle mass and have done some reading on this subject and most of the information I have found suggests that eating a low-carb or zero carb high protein snack at night is beneficial to preserving lean muscle mass and does not promote fat storage. The exception to this is if the amount of protein you eat is greater then your body needs to maintain your lean muscle mass then it may be converted to glucose and could then be stored as fat if it is not used to replenish stores in the liver or muscle. So if you are not doing resistance training you may want to be careful not to consume to much. Personally I drink a protein powder shake just before going to bed that contains 20grams of protein and 2 grams of carbs and have not experience much fat gain at night. Generally I believe if you keep your night time eating to low or no carb snacks you should be ok.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 09:48
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

My opinion is eat when you are hungry. Keep under your carb limit and get used to this WOE.

I personally ate whenever during induction and had no issues.

This is about being healthy and losing weight and learning to enjoy eating again without guilt. So do what feels right to you.

Don't tweek a diet unless it stops working.

Just my opinion.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%

Eat when your hungry, you will still lose weight and you will probably stay on it better since depriving yourself sets you up for binges of carbohydrates and going off this woe.