Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 05:47
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Everything but the calves?

Heya!

I just took my measurements again from 33 lbs ago and I lost 50 inches from when I was 206 lbs till now!!! Thats a short person!

The only thing I dont understand is everything went down in inches proportionally except my calves! They are still huge and 17"

Is this normal? Will they ever shrink? I walk tons and that might not help, but its kinda discouraging to try on a pair of tight jeans and they would fit around your waist and hips but not go over your calves (yes this happened to me)

Even my knees went down some! Its kinda frustrating. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 05:54

Plan: Atkins & M/E
Stats: 225/216/140 Female 65
BF:31%/26%/25%
Progress: 11%

It takes all sorts!!! I've been praying that my calves would get bigger (think stick legs with childbearing hips!!!) Not a pretty sight! Sometimes I wonder how they support me! I agree the walking might not be helping them get slimmer. Maybe try a different exercise for a few weeks and see what happens! Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 06:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/125/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have you noticed any more muscle tone in your calves? It could be the walking. Maybe you could try a Pilates type workout, alternating it w/ your walking as cardio. They tend to lengthen as well as tone muscles and it's pretty easy to do.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 07:23

Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I too, have huge calves, but have faith, they will get smaller. I went from 17 like you to 15 1/2, still huge but at least I see some progress. I noticed a big difference since I've been taking the stairs at work, 15 flights up and down. And, I also walk alot, I wouldn't blame the walking.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 08:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have big calves too, but they're muscle, well mostly. And congrats on the huge loss! I always told my cats, "I could knit a kitten out of what you shed", but I think we could assemble another person out of you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 09:00
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I always told my cats, "I could knit a kitten out of what you shed", but I think we could assemble another person out of you!

LMAO thats tooo funny.

I remember when I lost my first 15 lbs I was thinking man it doesnt sound like much (considering how much more I had to lose), but thats a small animal!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 09:45

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

The calves will go down over time. They were big to support your larger weight and they will take the longest to go down, because, unlike your arms, they're in constant use.

My thighs lost 4 inches each, but my calves only lost 1 inch so far at 49lbs lost.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 11:46

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

I have big calves --always have, regardless of whatever point I'm at weight-wise. I inherited my legs from my dad! It used to bother me that I didn't have those stick thin little girl calves, and then at some point I began to realize how strong my calves were. Don't worry about the size of your calves -- with your excellent weight loss already, they will get where they need to be.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 12:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I remember when I lost my first 15 lbs I was thinking man it doesnt sound like much (considering how much more I had to lose), but thats a small animal!

I think I've lost about a badger's worth.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 13:37

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Try reading the "Escape Your Shape" book Dr. Edward Jackowski. I've just started reading it and you may be doing the wrong exercises for your body shape. You probably want to tone and lose fat and not increase in size.

Too detailed to go into here, but there is a thread in the challenge forum found here. . .

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ht=Escape+Shape

Good luck!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 13:41
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Im not the huge calves type. Im in the chicken leg group. Till ya move more north then it's thunder thighs,lol. From thigh to belly button is the area that will take the most work.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 18:26

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hey! Congrats on your weight loss-- i too have huge calves but i actually have always had large calves that easily bulked up (for some reason, it's the only place where i can gain muscle easily!) I looked at Escape your shape which recommended low resistance (so walking is fine as long as its not on hills). I'm a college student so i walk a lot but i was also doing cardio on machines. Since i switched to low resistance and began sretching my calves everyday, i've noticed that they've begun to look leaner-- not really smaller, but definitely a bit longer/leaner instead of a bulk, if that makes sense. prob best not to focus on it too much though--besides, its better to have huge calves then like a huge belly, right? =)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 22:09

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

I'm happy to see I'm not alone. My calves haven't gone down even a 1/4 inch since I started measuring 2 months ago. They were the only area of my body that was solid though. I'm hoping they'll start toning down at some point. Oh, I also walk a lot and take stairs instead of the elevator. If nothing else, we've got a lot of strength there!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 04:43

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Was going to suggest Escape Your Shape, but see that nuidog has beaten me to it - anyway, it is working for my calves
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 05:22
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I didn't read what everyone wrote so sorry if its been mentioned but as long as you are walking on flat ground you are fine with walking... its ween you start adding resistance that it will bulk your calves