Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 19:32
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/108/97 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 52%
Unhappy Trying to RUN

For the past week i've been running 1-2 miles each night(started last Monday) and i have discovered that i'm not A RUNNER. I can't run!! Why? Everytime I start running i get tire easily, run out of breath, my chest hurts and i stop. I try jogging but can hardly do much, why can't i run? I talked with some people and they all say that maybe its because i'm not a runner, like if its something you either are or you aren't, I just can accept that! The times i tried running before i always gave up and stopped because i thought that running was just not for me but now i really want to do it and i can't. How do someone who has been physically unactive their whole life becomes a runner?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 19:42
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there - I'm not a runner, either, but I still managed to run the Vancouver Sun Run 5 or 6 times.

Although I stopped running because it doesn't agree with me (I'm one of those weirdos who GAINS weight when I jog), if you want to do it, this is how I learned to jog:

In a nutshell, it's an hour of 12x5 minute cycles, three times a week. IE an hour, three times a week.

I won't go into the stretches, but there are some runners here like galadriel who would be excellent resources for you here.

The first time you go out, jog 30 seconds, walk 4.5 minutes. Repeat 12 times. It'll feel very easy.

Next time out, do a minute of jogging, 4 minutes of walking. Do this for a few runs. Gradually increase the jogging, and decrease the walking.

Eventually, you will be able to just jog. The first time you do, go for 20 minutes. 30 minutes for the next one, gradually increase until you can go for an hour. This will put you at 7-10k, depending on your speed, in one hour.

The Vancouver Sun Run has a schedule posted. It's a little different than how they had it when I was running, but it's basically the same principal:

http://www.econ.ubc.ca/gradcentral/schedules.htm
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 20:21

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink

No no no, it's not that you are just not a runner, it's that you're not running like a runner. You're running like someone who doesn't know how to run. All you have to do is fine tune things a little. Breathing has a lot to do with it. If your chest hurts then you're A) running too fast B)not breathing properly. I started running about a month ago and I'd have to quit after 2 minutes because my chest hurt. My body wasn't fatigued but my lungs burned. When I started running on a treadmill and adjusting my pace and my breathing then I could run longer and harder. What I did was started running for 1 minute (at a 5.5 mph on a treadmill) then walking for 1 minute (3.9 mph) it's alot of button pushing but got me moving. I took an inhale breath for 2 steps, then exhaled for 2 steps... it's a 2-2 ratio. If I was running faster (a 7.2mph) I would inhale each time my foot hit the treadmill and exhale on the next foot hitting the treadmill. Breath through your belly, that helps alot. Trust me, if I can run...anyone can! I weigh 181 and have only been running for about 6 weeks. I started out only being able to run about 4 minutes absolute max before being out of breath. Now I can run about 15 minutes non stop. Just get into the groove of the run and find a focal point and just go. If this is something you really want to do, then do it. I find running relaxing and a fun way to exercise. Running makes me feel like I've join an elite group of healthy people that was never available to me. It opens alot of doors. I'm planning on running a 5k in October in Minneapolis. Running definitely motivates ya!

~ Cori ~
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 20:32
Registered Member

BF:

In my case, I'm really NOT a runner. I don't run at all anymore
But regardless, either way - either slow your approach, or ease into it according to the training link. I tried to get into running a few times, but the walk/jog thing made it exceptionally easy to ease into it. I took it at a clinic, but you don't have to. If I ever wanted to try running again, I'd go back to the programme. I remember thinking it was so easy, ANYONE could do it, and that really surprised me.

Whichever approach you choose, just take it easy and let your body get used to it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 21:02
Registered Member

BF:

Corianin, I walk for half the field and jog for the other half. The way i do it is like this: I run the straight line of the track and field till i hit the curve and then i stop and walk the curve, as i'm coming close to the straight line again i start to jog and then walk the curves and so on. That's one method i learned from one of the people i talked with. I was told that to do a mile is to go 4x times around the track and field so i do that too and sometimes even more, most i've done is like 2 miles in one night. I think that the reason i can't run that well is cos i don't know how to breath. I know that i gotta breath in and breath out but i do it wrong and that's what is causing me problems. I know i'm not a runner but i'm not gonna let that stop me anymore I have found that running its great not just for relaxing, its also fun and helps out with stress and stuff, its a great way to become fit.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 21:04

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 250/199/110 Female 5'1"
BF:don't know
Progress: 36%

When I start running (which I get an itch for about every other year) I start by walking a couple miles every other day.

Then I start running (almost as slow as I walk) for 3 mins and walk 3 run 3 ect... then 4 and 4, then 5 and 4 then 6 and 4, then 7 and 3 and then 8 and 3 (repeat til 30 mins is completed).

I do each step 2 or 3 times til I can get to 3 sets of 10 and 1 then 2 sets of 14 and 1, then finally running 30 mins straight.

I can't stress enough that the slower you run, the further you can run in the beginning. around every 3 weeks i pick up the pace VERY slightly!

hope it helps!

Carina
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 00:25
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnnabethin
How do someone who has been physically unactive their whole life becomes a runner?
My wife did this, never having done any serious sporting (none as a child, only some tennis later), starting in her late 30's. Now she runs 8-12 km.

But she started at the lowest level possible, training 2 or 3 times a week. Did a scheme of 1 min walking, 1 min running, or even shorter. Build this up gradually. Starting at a so simple level that you can do it and have fun doing it is Soooo important!!

Once you can hook yourself to starting simple, advance baby steps, ignore all the idea's about others you know who go faster and longer. Finally you will surpass them all!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 09:54
Registered Member

BF:

I was wondering, if i'm following a LC diet (ATKINS) will i have as much energy to run? Don't i need more carbs? What's the norm speed and distance for a beginner runner and how long does it take before i can run? Is anyone here a runner?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:34

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi there,

I'm working on getting into running again too! I have athletic asthma so I have to be really careful about my breathing, but I still get out there. I do the run/walk thing too. I don't time myself for the the stretches b/c I run outside right now, but I know the amount of time I run before I have to walk is def getting longer. I know this can be done...when I was at my lowest weight ever I used to run for 1/2 hour a day...and I had worked up to that by doing run/walk increments. I read a helpful article on webmd about chi running...focusing on form and how your body feels and really trying to relax...it was very helpful. Just go slower than you think you should and relax. Also, I have read that you shouldn't go more than a few days a week when you are starting out. Good luck!

--Cindy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 14:11
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I was wondering, if i'm following a LC diet (ATKINS) will i have as much energy to run? Don't i need more carbs? What's the norm speed and distance for a beginner runner and how long does it take before i can run? Is anyone here a runner?

You may need more carbs for ANAEROBIC activities, such as weightlifting, because your body uses it to lift the weight. Anaerobic activities don't work great on fat. Instead, they work to raise your metabolic rate AFTERWARD, which is how they help with fat-burning.

You may be able to GET AWAY with eating more carbs for aerobic activity, because you will be burning them off while running. But remember - carbs get burned off before body fat. So the more carb you eat before cardio, the less body fat you will burn while you do it.

Edited to add: when I took the clinics, they told me I should be able to talk the whole time I was running. Helpful if you have a friend to chat with.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:04

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink

ugh, when I started running I couldn't even walk fast and talk at the same time. There is very few times now that I can outright run and talk. Maybe jog and talk, but not running. Then again I have to concentrate on breathing, my stride length and all sorts of other things right now. Maybe once I'm better at gauging how my body feels it will be easier to lighten up.

~ Cori ~
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:00

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

Quote:
For the past week i've been running 1-2 miles each night(started last Monday) and i have discovered that i'm not A RUNNER. I can't run!! Why? Everytime I start running i get tire easily, run out of breath, my chest hurts and i stop. I try jogging but can hardly do much, why can't i run? I talked with some people and they all say that maybe its because i'm not a runner, like if its something you either are or you aren't, I just can accept that! The times i tried running before i always gave up and stopped because i thought that running was just not for me but now i really want to do it and i can't. How do someone who has been physically unactive their whole life becomes a runner?
When I started to run last January, I was 46 year old, without ANY previous running exercises, but with 35 lbs excess weight. I could not run even 100 YARDS. Now, 17 months later I run 30-35 miles/week, and can run 24 miles constantly (I hope 26.2 in 2 weeks).

So you can do it too

You already got excellent advices. The basic is alternating walk and jog. If you feel exhausted from the 100 yard run - 100 yard walk (the program you are doing on the track):
a/ SLOW DOWN
b/ alternate frist 300 yard walk with 100 walk SLOW jog.
Walk till your heart slows down to the pre jog level. (A heart rate monitor can help a lot, but you can simply check your pulse.) Usually starters need MORE walk then jog time.
Something else. Do not run/jog every day. First try a 3 -4 jog/week program.

Quote:
What's the norm speed and distance for a beginner runner and how long does it take before i can run?
You can find many 8-10-week programs to achieve the basic 30 min constant jog level, covering 2.5-3 miles. (Means 5.5-6 mph.) Then from that point the limit is the sky Do not try to shorten this time. Give your heart and LEG time to adjust to running. There is NO "norm" speed. Speed is for ego:-) Experienced runners with decades running, racing behind them prefer under 6 mph speed for the JOY of running. (Stu Mittleman, an ultramarthoner, who holds the cross America record prefers to run with 5 (FIVE) mph - even on short distances.)

Here is a link with everything you should know before starting. Injury prevention, proper shoes, BREATHING, day by day walk-jog plans, etc.
http://www.runnersworld.com/categor...184-0-0,00.html

Runnersworld.com full of good advices, but for motivation, for courage I would recommend two books - you can find both in public libraries or in bigger book stores.

First one is from John Penguin Bingham:The Courage to Start: A Guide to Running for Your Life. He was 43 year old, 240 lbs, had smoked 25 years, his four food groups were sugar, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol, when he started to run. He finsihed his first marathon one year later.

Another excellent book from Jeff Galloway: Galloway's Book of Running. He was one of the first prophet of the walk-jog method.

These books are not only provide detailed advices, plans how to start, but great motivators too.

I do not know your age. If you are over 30, it could be a help to start with some low impact "cardio" videos. To prepare your heart, legs. (I started with the Walk Away The Pounds 3 mile video. After doing it for one month, I could run 1 mile easily. Then I followed the walk-jog method increasing my distance.)

May I ask if you have now any other exercise program?

YOU CAN DO IT:-))

Cheers:

Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, May-24-04 at 11:46.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 23:44

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hey Eva,

I just wanted to say your post was so inspiring to me! I wrote down the books and am going to look for them on amazon tomorrow. I noticed you're doing the Rock & Roll marathon. I live in San Diego. I just moved to right on the beach in Del Mar...that is my motivation to get into running again (1 of them anyway)...it's just too beatiful to go to the gym instead. The La Jolla Half marathon went right past my door. Good luck to you...it seems like a really fun event!! There is a haf marathon coming up in August called America's finest city....I'd love to make that my goal...but I think 2.5 months might be pushing it w/my asthma...I don't think I've ever gone more than 4 miles!!

--Cindy
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:43

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy007
I noticed you're doing the Rock & Roll marathon. I live in San Diego. I just moved to right on the beach in Del Mar...that is my motivation to get into running again (1 of them anyway)...it's just too beatiful to go to the gym instead. The La Jolla Half marathon went right past my door. Good luck to you...it seems like a really fun event!! There is a haf marathon coming up in August called America's finest city....I'd love to make that my goal...but I think 2.5 months might be pushing it w/my asthma...I don't think I've ever gone more than 4 miles!!
Cindy, exactly that is how my marathon dream was born - watching wonderful South California races.
(Here is my account: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...96&postcount=63 )
This area is really a running paradise. We live in Orange County, our Marine son commutes between Camp Pedleton and San Diego/Coronado. NOT to get the runner/walker fever is almost impossible. Here in Orange County there is some running/walking race every week during the year.

About the August half marathon - you can WALK/Jog it:-) In the first Olympic marathon in 1896 the competitors run AND WALKED in the race. Even if you want to run the whole distance, you do not need to run more than 4 miles. ONLY ONE. Then repeating it 13 times (This is not a joke, this is a basic beginner strategy.) The only reason I would not recommend it so soon (in 2 1/2 months) to prevent leg injuries.

If you interested to jump on the marathon wagon, check John "Penguin" Bingham's other book: Marathoning for Mortals. With detailed plan for walking/jogging half and full marathons. It is a hilarious book.

You might conisde to add another book (you know, only to get the free shipping option from Amazon ) Stu Mittleman: Slow Burn - how to run on FAT FUEL forever, how to discover the real joy of running, etc. A MUST book for any lowcarber.

Good luck, and see you soon on the road.

Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, May-24-04 at 11:45.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 09:36
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Eva,

Thank you so much for the excellent tips and advice!!! Your post was very informational and motivational, i really can't thank you enough Currently i'm running 2 miles every night, i can jog now...Woo hoo but i'm still having a hard time doing it, esp with the breathing part. I'm gonna go check the site right now and then i'll get the books. Now i know what to do and hopefully by the end of this year i can be a runner, i hope

Originally posted by Galadriell:

Quote:
May I ask if you have now any other exercise program?

Yes, well not yet but i will. I'm gonna get into a fitnes program at my school and work with some trainers and fitness proffesors. There is a free gym there so i'll be able to use all the equipments to do cardio and weightlifting exercises, i'm 21 btw. Again, thank you so much for all the wonderful tips

Good luck in your marathon!!

Cheers