Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 20:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/163/130
BF:
Progress: 15%
Question Has this happened to anyone else?

I didn't know whether to post this here or in health issues. Has anyone else had a really dramatic (i.e. HOURS spent in the bathroom) reaction after eating an item that you haven't eaten for a while. My son had some popcorn this evening, and within an hour took over the bathroom. Admittedly he's had slight digestion problems with fresh corn in the past, but not with popcorn. Do you think it might be the food type, or is it the effect of the extra roughage? (The good thing about this is, I won't have to make an issue of this in the future!)

Jay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-13-01, 22:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

The only time I've ever had a reaction like that was when I contracted food poisoning. I suppose it would be possible to have something like that if you eat a food that you're allergic or highly sensitive to.

I think you've effectively taken away my popcorn cravings now though
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 05:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/248/130
BF:
Progress: 31%

I have Jay. In fact, it seems like my body has totally done a turnaround as far as food sensitivities. I used to suffer from IBS, and just about everything had that affect on me. Since being LC that condition has improved drastically. But there are certain foods that never used to bother me before that do now. Dill pickles, spinach, and a few others now send me to the bathroom in a hurry. Spicy foods used to bother me, but don't anymore. I guess it takes our bodies time to adjust to a new WOE.

Try holding off on the popcorn for now, and maybe try it again in moderation in a few months and see if the same reaction occurs. It could just be that is body is still adjusting to this diet, or it might be a permanent intolerance. Hope this helps!

Wendy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 08:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/163/130
BF:
Progress: 15%

It definitely seems to be more of a food intolerance than an allergy. I wonder, though, what is so different about Corn Kernals either fresh or dried, and stuff like cornmeal. Anyone know what kind of processing is done to corn when, for example, its made into meal?

Jay