Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 10:29

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%
Default Easter egg hunt

Today I took my daughter to an easter egg hunt. All they give away in those eggs are jelly beans and chocolate. Why cant they give away something better then junk sweets. No wonder children are starting to come down with adult onset diabetes. Good thing my children know better then to eat to many sweets. My daughter asks me why do you win a big chocolate bunny when you find the golden egg and not a stuffed bunny. She tells me candy is no good for you makes your teeth fall out. She told me if she won the chocolate bunny she wouldnt eat it any way because its no good for you. LoL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Good for your daughter! Good for you too - teaching her good eating habits at a an early age.

#3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 15:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Ummmm...my kids don't share your daughter's point of view. They know, of course, that chocolate and other sugary candies aren't healthy but they always say, "But it's okay for a special treat." Problem is...they think they have to have special treats on a daily basis!

We went to an Easter egg hunt this morning, too, and they loaded up on candy. We'll have two more to go to tomorrow that will be even worse (my folks...and my in-law's). At the hunt today, they served a free lunch of hot dogs, chips, ice cream and sodas. I came home hungry and made myself a big bowl of vegetable stir-fry. I wasn't even tempted to dip into their stash like I have in all the years past. I'm feeling quite proud of myself!

I don't know how to change the habits my kids have developed. I am serving a wider variety of veggies with their dinners and they eat fresh fruit every day...but I doubt that counteracts all the other junk they put in their mouths. I was a picky eater when I was a kid, too, and there was nothing my parents could have done to change it. I wish I could find a magic solution, though, because I'd much rather see them build good habits now, while they're young, than have to break bad ones later on.

Tricai