Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 10:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 397/364/154 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default feel like giveing up, need lots of support

HEY YOU ALL, IM ROCH AND I HAVE BEEN ON THE ATKINS FOR3 WEEKS, FOR THE FIRST 9 DAYS I LOST 11 POUNDS, AND THEN THE DREADED TOM DECIDED IT WAS TIME FOR A VISIT, AND 2 WEEKS ON HE STILL HAS NOT LEFT, I HAVE NOT LOST A POUND SINCE THEN AND I AM BEING REALLY GOOD, NOT HAVING MORE THAN 2O GRAMS OF CARBS.
AS I WAS NOT USED TO DRINKING WATER I STARTED TO DRINK DILUTED DRINK BUT IT HAD ASPARTAME AND LOW CAL HOT CHOC AS I DONT DRINK TEA, I ONLY HAD 1 HOT CHOC EACH DAY BUT IT HAS ASPARTAME I IT, SO SINCE TODAY I AM CUTTING OUT EVERYTHING I EAT WITH ASPARTAME INCLUDING SUGAR FREE JELLO, I AM DRINKING PURE WATER AND AT LEAST 2.5 LITRES A DAY, I FEEL LIKE GIVEING UP, I AM SO DESPERATE TO LOOSE WEIGHT, WHERE I AM GOING WRONG, JUST STARTED THE GYM YESTERDAY DID 10 MINS ONTREADMILL AND 10 MINS ON THE BIKE AND I THOUGHT MY HEART WAS GOING TO BURST OUT OF MY CHEST.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE ADVICE ME, GOD KNOWS HOW LONG I WILL HAVE MY TOM FOR , I MUST BE GOING WRONG SOMEWHERE, I EVEN MAKE SURE I GET 1/2 OF MY CARBS FROM VEG AND THAT IS HARD FOR ME AS I DONT LIKE VEG, I EAT 16-1800 CALS ADAY, IT IS 75% fat, 20% PROTEIN AND 5 % CARBS AM I DOING IT ALL WRONG, HOW COMES WHEN PEOPLE WEIGH AS MUCH AS ME THEY LOSE WEIGHT FAST AS WE HAVE SO MUCH TO LOOSE, ALL THE HELP, IDEAS AND SUPPORT WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED, I AM SO DESPERATE TO LOSE WEIGHT, THANKS FOR SPENDING THE TIME AS I HAVE BEEN RABITTING ON, ROCH
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

I had a period after induction where I not only did not lose but I gained back 2 AHHH!!! But I felt so much better. . .so I stuck with it. ..do you feel better? Are you not as tired? Do you have more energy? Have you stopped gaining? If you can answer yes to several of those Q?s then what you are doing is helpful to you. . .EVEN IF you aren't losing weight. redawn
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:26

Plan: BFL
Stats: 324/193.5/195 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Roch,

First off congrats on you decision to make a change.

Second, the 10-11lbs that you lost in the first few days was water and not "fat" weight loss. I think that anyone would agree with that. It would almost be impossible to burn that much fat in such a few days. Just do the math on how many calories there are in x grams of fat.

Also for a person at your weight, I believe that 1600-1800 calories is way to little. You need to get up into the 2200+ range. You are shocking your body into thinking that food supplies are running low. Just think about it this way. To have gotten to 300+ lbs you would have needed to consume approximately 4500 calories for an extended period of time. So 2200-2500 isn't all that much.

It is important to remember that you must be careful when doing exercise. At your weight you could cause yourself complications. At my heaviest, 324, I could only walk on a treadmill for about 0.05 miles. You read that right 5 hundreths of a mile. I have currently worked my way up to over 1.5 miles. You need to work gradually. I can't see you and I don't know about your past physical condition but 20min might seem like a bit much. Remember you have the rest of your life to correct the situation.

This is important. GET RID OF THE SCALE focus on measurements. Don't make yourself crazy.

I hope this aids you.

Tom
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:34
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I have found that after a large drop in my weight -- and 11 pounds is a large drop -- my weight often stabilizes for a while and I don't lose anything. I know it is hard, but hang in there and you should start losing again. 11 pounds in a month is great, even if you don't lose anything else for the remainder of the month. Your body really will start losing again, but at a slower rate. I'm about your size and I've been losing 1 to 2 pounds a week for the past few months (6 to 8 pounds a month). I know it sounds slow, but it does add up.

Hang in there! We are all rooting for you.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:50
Registered Member

BF:

HEY TOM, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, BUT THAT 11 POUNDS I FIRST LOST WAS NOT WATER AS I HAD BEEN DIETING FOR 2,5 WEEKS PREVIOUS AND LOST 17 POUNDS ON A LOW CAL DIET, AND I WAS ALLWAYS HUNGRY SO I DECIDED TO CHANGE THE NEXT DAY TO ATKINS SO I DID NOT HAVE A BREAK IN MY DIET, I UNDERSTAND BY OTHER PEOPLES REPLIES THAT I AM NOT EATING ENOUGH CALS BIT I AM SO SCARED THAT IG I EAT AROUND 2300 CALS I WILL PUT ON WEIGHT,I NEED REASURANCE, THANKS ROCH
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:56
Registered Member

BF:

HEY LIZ, THANKS FOR POSTING A REPLY, HOW MANY CALS A DAY TO YOU HAVE, CAN I SEE YOUR FITDAY TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE EATING, ALSO I AM NOT HAPPY WITH 6-8 POUNDS A MONTH WEIGHT LOSS, LAST YEAT I LOST 60 POUND IN 4 MONTHS ON A LOW CAL DIET DUE TO BAD HEALTH I PUT IT BACK ON, SO I KNOW I AM ABLE TO LOSE AT LEAST A STONE A MONTH, IF ONLY THISDREADED TOM WOULD DISSAPEAR AS MY WEIGHT LOSS HAS ONLY STOPPED SINCE MY TOM ARRIVED, GOOD LUCK,ROCH
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 12:00
Registered Member

BF:

HEY REDAWN, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, I AM STILL ON THE INDUCTION AND HAVE BEEN FOR 3 WEEKS AND INTEND TO STICK TO IT FOR 4 MONTHS MORE, I HAVE NOT PUT ON WEIGHT IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS AND I DO HAVE MORE ENERGY, BUT THAT DOES NIT MAKE ME FEEL ANY BETTER,THANKS, ROCH
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 12:05

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

I'm fairly new, but I think you're wanting two much to fast and your body told you know. You lost 17lb and then 11 more. That's 28lbs Your body is probably regrouping and then it will go for a gusto!
Your doing great.
Ipersonally have upped over the 300's and my suggestion is to make sure you eat at least three meals a day even if you don't want to. AND eat till you're filled (not STUFFED) but full. Just keep it within diet parameters.
It is really hard to drop immediately from the quantity of food we used to eat. As we lose, our appetites will also decrease somewhat.
I hoped it helped.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 12:08

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

PS Nobody seems to lose as fast the second time around. We lost our golden chance.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:48

Plan: Atkins, BFL modified
Stats: 325/266.5/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Roch,

Used to live in the Midlands myself.....how is the weather right now?? I just wanted to give you a little word of encouragement.......I know how frustrating it is to want the weight to go fast....keep up with it and I promise that very soon you will start to look a whole lot thinner and I found that I feel alot lighter.....I know a one or two or three pounds a week isnt much but it soon adds up........and I do promise that even if the scale doesnt show it you will feel so much lighter, I cant explain what happens to your body with this WOL, but it isnt like anything else I've every experienced..stop by my journal if you need some menu ideas....or to see what I'm eating. Let me know how your doing.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 15:29

BF:

Roch,

Wanting to lose weight too quickly is not a good mind set. Imagine if you could drop 100 lbs tommorrow, you would have so much extra skin that even if you were at your goal weight you would still have a major problem. Think about it. Two to three lbs a week is fast. Extra skin isn't pretty.

About the calorie intake. Don't be afraid to up the calories and the number of meals that you eat. The key to losing weight is to be honest with yourself. What did it take to get to where you were. Well a very conservative estimate is 4500 calories per day. That is a whole hell of a lot. So anything less than that will lead to weight loss (except too low). I feel strongly that 2400 calories a day (while you have an exercise routine) is fine.

You were not meant to starve. If you feel "very" hungry, you techincally should have eaten at least a half hour ago.

Tom
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 15:31

BF:

Roch,

Consider starting a journal.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 16:00
Registered Member

Stats: 560/510/220
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hang in there Roch and give your body time it will happen
Just keep on the plan and keep going It only gets better
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 18:04

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hey! I won't address the food issues, but your description of your exercise concerns me. When you're doing cardio exercise (walking, biking, etc.), you should never be so out of breath that you can't talk to someone standing beside you. If you're that out of breath, then you need to slow down a bit and let your heart rate ease up.

Cardio exercise is very difficult when one is large (I know from experience!). I would suggest you pick up some hand weights that weigh about 2 lbs each (here in the States we call them "dumbbells"), and do some very simple weight training. There are a zillion good books on the subject, OR you can go to this website to learn more about working with hand weights. You could also get some ankle weights for working your lower body, <B>but</B> <U>do not walk wearing ankle weights -- very bad for your hip joints</U>.

Weight training is very beneficial because it builds muscle, which is the most metabolically active tissue in the body -- muscle burns fat even while you're sleeping!! You may not see a weight loss immediately, but you should see a change in inches and the fit of your clothes within a week or two.

Hope this is helpful. Hang in there, and don't give up!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 18:42

Stats: 487/449/199
BF:100%...LOL
Progress: 13%

Congrats on how far you have come already...whatever you do DONT GIVE UP!!!

I went through that this last two weeks where I have not moved at all!!! but I think it will come through...