Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:44
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%
Question Hydrocodone & Atkins

Hi Everyone! I went back to my doctor today because my cough was not going away and she gave me a prescription. I hope this does not interfere with my WOL.

I have a major headache right now but I have not taken the medication yet. I have to take it before bed because it wipes you out, the pharmacist said.

Its called:
hydrocan 5 mg
generic name : hydrocodone bitarta 5 mg

side effects: drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, vomiting, headache, constipation

Man, I don't want to but I am sick of coughing. Has anyone taken this on Atkins?

Peace
red
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 15:45

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Hi Red,

Sounds like you're not feeling too well. Sorry to hear it.

Hydrocodone is a narcotic (codeine (an opiate, morphine derivative) w/ one of the following ibuprophen, acetominophen or aspirin, most often acetominophen). It is very addictive taken over a period (long) time. But, not to worry in the amounts you've been given. One thing is important, don't take other analgesics (NSAIDS) at the same time. You'll be doubling up. I thought I'd mention this because of your headache. Just a little added info.

The question is what form you have, liquid or pill. The liquid, which is the standard form for coughs, unfortunately does have added sweetener as the stuff tastes nasty, even with the sweetener. My kids take it for their coughs (bronchitis) along with a monster glass of water. The pills, I've never even heard of them being given for a cough, wouldn't be a problem. Pill form however, probably would not be as effective as it doesn't have the coating effect, but, I could be wrong about that. 5 mg. is not a high dose, sort of medium.

In terms of the side effects, YMMV, drastically. For me, taking codeine keeps me up all night, sort of high and speedy. With my kids, it knocks them on their arses.

Finally in answer to your question, the syrup could slow down, or even bump you out of, ketosis. However, I would say it would be misguided to suffer with a horrible cough (which can have other deleterious effects) when relief is at hand. Take the syrup, get well and continue on your LC journey. A week or less out of ketosis will not send you spiraling up in weight. Which makes me think of another thing, eat while you are taking this medication or it will make you nauseous. LC food is perfect (high fat/protein) for inhibiting the nausea.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR, THIS IS JUST MY UNDERSTANDING AND EXPERIENCE.

Hope you're feeling better soon,

Jones
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 15:51

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Just want to second the comment about eating with your medication. I had a tooth pulled and was on another hydrocodone med for the pain & vomitted when I took the meds on an empty stomache, very unpleasant. Take your medicine & get better, don't worry about how it'll affect your diet. You won't be on it long enough for it to do any real damage, just long enough for it to get you healthy again. Hope you're feeling better soon.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:06
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Jones! Hi Amy! Thanks for replying and for all the information. I am taking the pills (5mg). I start tonight. She said at bedtime.

Peace
red
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:21

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

All I can say is at least you won't feel any pain! That stuff really, REALLY makes ya nice and happy. Watch out, of course. That's a very addictive painkiller... you know, celebrity Vicodin addictions?

On a serious note, I hope you are feeling better soon. Listen to your body and don't worry too much about exercise if it's not feeling well. You can always get back into the swing. Try to stay healthy!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 17:25
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Angela!! Dang, you looked amazing in the pics!! I did my cardio and after I did it the headache came.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I know your BFL is going great. I'm not going to stop working out.

Peace
red
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hydrocodone, like codeine, is an effective anti-tussive ... or cough suppressant. It doesn't work due to a "coating" action, it works on the cough reflex center of the brain, after it's been absorbed from the stomach into the blood stream. Taken at bedtime, it should help you get some sleep (finally!) due to the sedation, plus cough relief. Especially if you have one of those horrid dry tickly coughs that seem to get worse as soon as you lie down.

Hope you're feeling better soon

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:52

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Try sucking on ice cubes during the day to help with your cough. I find it works just as well as cough drops. That plus the cough syrup at night may give you the rest you need.

BTW--- I was given the same Rx for bronchitis a few months ago. I took it once and poured it down the drain. I couldn't deal with the way it made me feel. I have 3 kids and I'm not comfortable being all doped up. I'd rather go without sleep than not be able to hear one of them get up in the middle of the night.

Hope you feel better soon!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:53
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Doreen! That's the cough I have Doreen and I am up all night coughing. Thank you.

Peace
red
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 11:09

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

I had to take that once after suffering a compound fracture of my collarbone. little bone but HUGE pain...the worst ever...anyways...
I took it for a month and was basically a vegetable, but felt little pain. I'm not kidding when I tell you that my roommate would guide me out to my back porch where, I sat and stared at the birds in the tree, thinking what a nice bird community lived in the tree. and I basically just drooled a whole lot.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 12:27
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Alwazbuzy! Hey Climbergirl! Thanks for all the advice. I get up in the morning and my throat is totally sore but then as they day goes on it gets better.

I took the pill last night. My headache had not gone away when I went to be and I slept for a little while but woke up after a little while then went back to sleep. I had just one bad coughing episode last night. I have felt so tired today and I had a huge coughing episode this morning. The headache was still there (from yesterday when I did my cardio) so I went to the pharmacy and asked her to recommend something and told her what I was currently taking and she recommended extra strength tylenol. I took it and my headache seems to have subsided.

I hope this cough goes away soon. I am sick of coughing.

Thanks everyone.

Peace
red