Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 15:13

Plan: Low carb, low gi
Stats: 210/159/154 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Weird experience at a low carb cafe

I am on vacation right now and found a lovely low carb cafe in the city I'm visiting. It is specifically low carb and even says so in its name! It was pretty great, nice ice cream, desserts, full meals, drinks and coffees. They use stevia and not maltitol! They also had several lchf guides, protein chips, doughs and other items for sale.

I enjoyed my meal and thanked one of the two friendly waitresses, saying that for a diabetic like me this is a great little treat. She responded by lecturing me about how low carb was "not good" and "eating everything is good in moderation". I don't understand it, if you think low carb is a bad idea why work here? It would be like a waitress at a pizzeria telling patrons that pizza is not good for them; seems counter-productive from a professional point of view.

I'm tempted to write a review on their website but I feel bad about getting the waitress into trouble. But I definitely want to revisit because their ice cream was great! I would love to know your thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 15:22

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I would have been pissed off had I been the owner of this restaurant and found out one of my employees was making those comments to my customers. It's a small business that depends on word of mouth, and this rebel isn't helping with her own agenda. Particularly considering the advice she's dispensing!

Last edited by GRB5111 : Wed, Jul-27-16 at 06:46.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-16, 15:32

Plan: Atkins, Primal,
Stats: 169/158/137 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Yes I do agree that the waitress was being unprofessional. But like you I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. Who knows how difficult her life is. Maybe she has a motor mouth and was venting. Let it be like water off a ducks back...or like Taylor Swift...shake it off ...shake it off ...and offer a silent prayer if you are so inclined. The most important thing is that you had a delish low-carb meal and that makes it easier to stay on the plan.

Happy trail to you,
Locarber
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 02:05

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

I'd talk to her next visit if she persists, not her boss first. Challenge her on what she actually means by her comments, ask her why she does work there, then decide whether to tell her boss.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 04:45

BF:

I forgot to add, this is a foreign country so there may be a language barrier too. But she spoke to me in English about what she said, though I'm not sure how much of a coherent conversation we can have.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 05:04

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

If you can forgive her, forgive her, and then your can go back and enjoy the place leave the subject of diabetes at the door. Also, leave her a large tip if she has the privilege of serving you again.

She knows her truth. You know yours. Enjoy the country. Be harmonious.

These are my thoughts today.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 05:54
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/137/137 Female 61 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 100%

I disagree about not exposing the truth. You will be doing a service to the employer and future diners. Not holding people accountable for their acts does society no good. Everyone makes decisions which put them where they are in life.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 08:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If it were me I'd probably leave a mostly positive Yelp review and not mention the waitresses name. Let management sort it out. They will probably have a meeting with the wait staff and hopefully get them onboard with the product they're serving.

Dunno if they have yelp there, but if they do, this is a way you can give some feedback and hopefully they will act on it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 10:31

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

At one time I thought low fat was good for you, and I repeated it to others.

She's heard through the media, that diabetics are supposed to be carb moderates, if fact, she's probably more acutely award of these messages because she works in a low carb restaurant that is good for people who are dieting to loose weight.

The next time you see her, you simply say "for a diabetic like me, it works very well to control blood glucose and there's much research to indicate this is how we should eat. It will take time for the message to get out."

Low Carb restaurant? What city are you visiting, I live in NYC and I don't think there's such a thing
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 10:39

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Just when you think you found a safe low-carb zone....Why would someone work someplace and say bad things about it at the same time. That's strange and she is very confused.
I'll bet that if you go back she won't be there anymore.
It's hard enough to be in business for yourself and work 14 hour days, but when they have an employee dissing the product...not good. I'd feel sorry for the owner not knowing someone there is sabotaging their hard work.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 10:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

That is odd. If I were the owner I'd want to know if my employees were telling customers to not eat the food!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 14:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube

Low Carb restaurant? What city are you visiting, I live in NYC and I don't think there's such a thing

I'm in Vienna, Austria. I would prefer not to mention the restaurant by name but if you googled "low carb cafe Vienna" you should be able to find it, if you're interested.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 16:36

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrufrock
I'm in Vienna, Austria. I would prefer not to mention the restaurant by name but if you googled "low carb cafe Vienna" you should be able to find it, if you're interested.

Hmm, is there any protein served there that stood on 4 legs, or even 2 with wings? Perhaps your wait staff was Vegetarian or Pescatarian and thought you were eating too many animals and was having a bad day. Vegetarians and Pescatarians can be "low carb" too.

Language barrier can be tuff too and wars can be started over misunderstandings. Austrian's know a lot about war. A guy that grew up there caused a lot of suffering last century.

Looks like a lot of delicious baked goodies with erythritol and other AS to sub for sugar in goodies. I'd keep going there and getting your fix

note: all speculation is mine, and mine alone
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 18:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I just read your post and thread and it's kind of hilarious that a waitress would a) find it okay to give diet advice to a customer ... no matter what type of restaurant and b) talk everything-in-moderation in a low carb joint.

I personally would live-and-let-live. We were all young and dumb once ... at least I hope that was her excuse.

Hope you enjoyed your time in Vienna! I Googled the low carb cafe there and had to laugh at one Yelp review. One customer was outraged there was nothing for vegan's there. LOL lady, what was your first clue?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-16, 21:47

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
One customer was outraged there was nothing for vegan's there.

Maybe it was the waitress