Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 154/154/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default chocolate addiction

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd better get back here and check in quick. We have a whole house full of expensive chocolate and I don't know what to do with it all. I just can't resist eating it and I'm not limiting it to my reward meal either. Thought I'd try that today and the chocolate and sugar caused cravings again and guess what I reached for, more chocolate. I'm a desperate chocolate and sugar addict. My only safety lies in not having it at the house but how to accomplish that I know not.

I guess, I'm just needing some support and advice again. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. I'm always ill over the holidays because of my insulin resistance and overeating chocolate. I just ate 1/2 lb. of butterfingers. Ugh!

Happy and blessed New Year to everyone,

Grandma (in May) Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Okay Mary, step away from the butterfingers.

I was just wondering if we could get an extra faucet put in the bathroom so I could take baths in chocolate. Then I was thinking how about a soap dispenser full of whipped cream. (Is that too weird)?

I think about chocolate all the time, I think it really is a seperate addiction from the sugar thing. Chocolate has theobromine in it, its a mild stimulant related to caffeine, so I think it satisfies on many levels. Plus the taste is to die for. I think we're too new to CAD to handle too much temptation. If I were you either wrap it up in some tupperware so you don't see it and smell it all day and put it on a high shelf, or stick it in the freezer, and if you know that won't work, give it away. Usually I try to get rid of it by eating it all, but I think I'm getting to old to get away with abusing my body that way anymore.

Be sure to eat some protein, so you don't faint from all the sugar and if you discover a way to have power over the chocolate - let me know.

Nancy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 16:56
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply Nancy. I'm mad at myself for eating all that stuff. I even thought of throwing up just to get rid of it before my body absorbed it. Isn't that sick? Didn't do it though. My mother used to eat chocolate every day until she threw up. Ugh!

Anyway, I'll try to get it out of sight. I put some away but I really think I need to get it out of the house ASAP. Someone said that people who crave chocolate may need anti-depressants. I've never been on them but I'm just wondering if perhaps it's an imbalance in seritonin levels. It's such a strong craving. Must be like cocaine or other drugs, maybe?

Let's keep up the encouragement.

Have a blessed New Year (chocolate free?)

Grandma (Mary)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 18:44

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Here is an interesting article:

http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arch/10_12_96/food.htm

We have tons around the house right now, too. It is SOOO hard, it seems to be just calling my name, begging to be eaten. However, I AM fighting it, purely because I want to lose my weight so badly. I might just be extremely strong-willed and/or desperate at this point, though.

Either way, give it away to neighboors, co-workers, etc. and fast. Maybe you can keep like four or five peices for yourself, but put them in the freezer, and you should only want one or two during RM.

As far as I know, there is no cure I honestly believe it is a battle with our minds. If it wasn't, how come a pill containing cocoa powder doesn't satisfy cravings? Anyways, just try to win yourself over, and start anew. Don't get down cause you cheated, just hop back up and get going again.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 18:57
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

what a cool article.

I don't understand, I gave up caffeine, diet coke, bread, rice, pasta, fruit, milk, ice cream, pretty easily, but leave a few chocolates in front of me and I crumble.

I was thinking of sending an email out at my work about keeping chocolates 20 feet from my desk, do you think that would be okay. I mean I have a heart problem and am not supposed to eat chocolate because it irritates it. Maybe I could get off my medication and be about 1000x healthier, if I didn't have to face it at work everyday.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 22:54
Registered Member

BF:
Default article

Hi Luv & everyone,

Did that other article ever get released, 1995, Drug therapy for chocoholics? I couldn't access it on the site? That was really a good article. I'm wondering if people with chocolate addictions have an underlying depression going on? I've never thought of myself as depressed or even exhibited symptoms except for binging, sugar and chocolate addiction. What do you guys think?

I'm bound and determined to get the chocolate out of the house. Some of it doesn't belong to me and my 28 yr. old son thinks I'm "crazy" because of my struggle with chocolate. Maybe it will happen to him someday too!

Thanks and blessings,
Grandma (Mary)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 01:36

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

I don't really think there is much of a connection between depression and chocolate addiction. Generally, when we are depressed, we eat (well people like us.. lol carb addicts) and we eat our fav. foods that are bad for us. Like chocolate. Yes, chocolate does lighten the mood, in fact there are chemicals in there that also give the "high" feeling marijuana.

Anyways, tell you son that you feel you have an honest to gawd addiction, and you wouldn't leave beer in the fridge if there was an alcoholic in the home, would you? This is the same way. If he just HAS to have it, than have him hide it. LOL, maybe he can give you a peice or two during your RM. To tell you the truth, my husband hides all chocolate from me and dispenses it during my RM when I ask. It really works and I've learned to moderate myself now when I am around it. Kind of.... lol...
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-02, 15:44

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

I love chocolate, too. Fortunately, though, it doesn't drive me so crazy that I cave in when it is around. I guess with being on Atkins and now CALP, I've learned to say no to it and now if I really want it, I can add some to my RM. What's really funny is that up until I was in my 20's, chocolate didn't bother me at all. I rarely ever ate it and don't even remember craving it and couldn't understand why people went nuts over it! Now I understand it better. I guess back then I was eating other sugary carbs and just didn't leave room for the chocolate.

The feeling I get when I have chocolate is just short of heaven! I do think there is something about the chemical that is in it that can make us want more.

I do think you need help in hiding it, though, if it is that big a problem. And in the meantime, you'll have to try to work on your self control until you can get past the "caving in"... or start an RM chocolate pile and every time you want to eat a piece, add it to your pile and tell yourself you can have it during your RM. Maybe by the time you eat your RM and get to dessert, you will be happy with just a piece or two. I've heard of some people having a cabinet that locks where they can keep foods that bother them too much. You may have to resort to that idea or ask for help from your son... even though he thinks it's crazy. He may still be willing to help if you ask him to.

Best of luck with the chocolate and keep posting for encouragement.

#9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 12:54
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 163/156/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

You can eat chocolate during your RM right?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 15:43

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

You sure can-just keep it balanced!!! and enjoy.