Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:21

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking Another 1 year Anniversary

April 1 - had to think was this all an April Fool's Joke! I told this story before so I will keep it short but thank my avid interest to read. I certainly had been exposed to the Zone. It was too difficult to plan my whole new menu. Knew that carbs were a problem but could not make the changes. Was in an airport starving for reading material - had read all the magazines. Reached down and picked up Dr. Atkins book. Said nah I heard terrible things about this diet - you eat all meat bacon eggs and cheese and no vegetables - recipe for a heart attack. Looked around some more and came back to that book. OK I'll read about it. Wow 3.5 months of induction later and 37 lbs dropped. The most significant thing I learned was what a carbohydrate portion is. It took the Atkins sledge hammer to hit me in the head. And that carbohydrate portion is small! Never knew what I was doing to myself. Remember some business associates on the Zone at a restaurant repeating to me " gary you do not have to eat those fries" as I ate them.

Just had a complement the other night - someone asked me if I was still losing weight. I said no why? They responded that I was looking too thin that I may be unhealthy. I could not help feeling a little pissed off because I am no where near my college weight (134) and I just ran 3 miles in 23:55 at age 48. Then I thought that was actually a complement. I remember before my diet when I was in a bar with freinds this guy came in and asked me when I was expecting my baby! So I can't win I am too fat or too thin ha ha ha ha ahhhhhhhh! The important thing is I am happy with the target and very satisfied with my menu choices! Somehow I have got to commit and write a journal to spell out the meals that led to my success. I do hope that everyone has success - that is my biggest frustration now - why isn't this WOE working for some of you? Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:35

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

Congrats!!! But I have to add that you should not get back down to your college weight! My hubby ran college track/cross country, and at 6'2, he was only 160. At 180, he's still pretty skinny (and he can run almost as fast as he did back then!)

It's wonderful to read about your dedication and how you made this work for you!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 12:36

Plan: eat fat get thin
Stats: 212/212/128 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Congratulations Gary! Happy Anniversary!
I appreciate hearing success stories as they definitely increase my motivation and determination to become one myself someday. Not that I would consider ever going back to my old way of life - I feel too good (and scared) to do that to myself and take the risk of gaining all that I've lost back....or is it losing all the I've gained!!!
However, it is difficult to be patient. Especially when you've finally found something that works, yet the process of weight loss for many of us is a SLOW one! Every pound is a hurdle. I swear it is a design flaw that our bodies should have adjusted a long time ago. We are all walking miracles - like amazingly efficient machines, yet our bodies allow us to get very overweight and then work against us to lose it!?!?! Oh, well...I'll just eat some more cheese and practice the fine, yet challenging, art of patience!
Kris
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 13:06

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Ooooh happy anniversary! Somebody thinks you look to skinny!!! All your problems should be so pleasant!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 13:19

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Congrats gary! Looking forward to the one-year milestone (it's still about three months away). I took a gander over at the Maintenance Club forum. It's AWFULLY quiet over there. Now the weight has been lost, the challenge will be to keep it off permanently!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 13:57

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Wink Feedback

To Orzabelle: You are right and my wife does not want me to be 134. I was hollow - at least my face was - I will post a picture some time of me in gymnastics at that weight.

To Bellybgone: I had my moments with stalls and can't imagine how someone feels that is always stalled. Hard to understand if you do hard core induction you won't lose. I have seen people do it several ways all with dedication. Former boss who developed a back problem had surgery and then lost a lot of weight with low-fat diet. Another person does the low calorie like 1200 calorie diet.

To Saski: You are right being called too thin is not a bad problem at all. It is a problem with perception in our society. Everyone is used to seeing middle aged men with beer bellys. This is not the first time I have been called too thin and it is always by overweight people. To their perception I am too thin. Funny thing!

Here are some examples of what I ate in induction - should sound familiar. Breakfast everyday - at home - egg beaters, two egg equivalent and some cheese. same thing with onions or tomatoe. Pick up at WaWa - egg & bacon sandwich or sausage. Drink water. Lunch: Lunchmeat like Turkey, Chicken, roast beef, ham with a small salad or being near Philadelphia - cheese steak hoagie served on a plate. Dinner - Tuna standard size can with mayo and standard cereal bowl lettuce with cheese onion, tomatoe alternate meat with Steak, chicken breast or lunchmeat.

Have not had even a taste of pasta or rice for 1 year. Went all the way until Thanksgiving to have my first glass of sugar iced tea. Have not had any since. Have had maybe 5 slices of pizza - none for 3.5 months induction. Had maybe two beers in all of induction. I mean these were things that I ate and drank alot! My signature was a Lipton iced tea bottle in my hand everywhere I went - at one time drank two a day - 42 grams per= 84 gm sugar You would have to say my jaw dropped when I sat in the airport restaurant eating my cheeseburger, fries and my Lipton iced tea when I read in the Atkins book the number 20 gms a day. 20 gm a day?! Just a rough calculation I dropped 100gm to 200 gm extra sugar out of my diet a day- (84) from iced tea + 4 dark beers say 15per - (60) plus sandwich roll say (20) breakfast chocalate milk (20) and grapes (still eat on maintenance) = 184gm