Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 01:40
Registered Member

Plan: Proten Power
Stats: 190/165/155
BF:??%/21%/12%
Progress: 71%
Question To ketose or not to ketose?

Okay, to start off, I'm sure there is no verb form of ketosis but I needed something to catch your eyes. Also, I tried a search on ketosis and guess what, PRACTICALLY EVERY THREAD HAS THAT WORD IN IT. Okay, doown to buisness. I just went to my friends house today and his dad who is low-carbgin on another plan (can't remember the name, i'm sure you'll all figure it out) which allows and encourages one day a week in which you eat carbs to stay out of ketosis because apparently, according to his dad who is following this plank, being in ketosis slows down your metabolism. Do the benefits out-weigh the costs? Everyone on this forum seem to think that being in ketosis is a good thing. I need answers with back-up so I can reclaim my spot as the LOW-CARBING MASTA'! Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 23:31
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 15%

that's a good question. i don't know the answer but i thought i might give your post a bump.

what plan is he on? finding that out might answer a lot of questions.

about a year ago i used to follow that type of plan but not to stay out of ketosis, but just because i love to have a day when i can let go. it was nice during the holidays but generally if you aren't committed you'll backstep back into old patterns.

good question. hope someone has the answer.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 00:04
Registered Member

Thanks for the bump. Speaking of backstepping into old patterns, my friend says his dad is on and off LC'ing quite a bit and cheas and just isn't committed in general. Then again he really doesn't have much motive because he isn't that overweight. I'll have to ask him the plan tomorrow so I can get some answers.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 10:06

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

Carbohydrate Addict's Diet is one that allows you a daily reward meal. It's not a license to eat anything, but it is higher carbs. It has a one hour time limit. I am not sure if this is what he is talking about.

I have never heard that ketosis slows metabolism. There are others more savvy here who can give you the details you seek for disputing purposes.

For me, when I did CAD, I spent an hour eating whatever I had been craving. Incidently I still lost weight. About a 1 lbs. a week. Now I eat higher carb meals only sporadically and I lose about 2-3 lbs. a week. Being in ketosis seems to override my metabolism completely.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 21:57
Registered Member

The diet book is called "The Fat Burning Diet" by a man named Jay Robb. Here is the link to a basic breakdown of the diet. It interests me and seems to make sense, but before I really throw out all my hard work, i'm gonna wait to hear all of your responses. Hopefully this damn thread will pick-up!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 09:19
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Over in the newbie's questions section there is a sticky called Hot Links There is an section of threads all about ketosis. Maybe that will help you out.

I've heard that when anyone loses weight, they are to some extent in ketosis. Protein Power suggests that their plan will put most people on the cusp of ketosis.

I have not seen any references that ketosis will slow down your metabolism--but if a person is on a very low calorie diet, they would lower their metabolism. Ketosis may also be going on in that situation but it's not the ketosis that causes the lowered metabolism.

Beth
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 10:37

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Being in ketosis just means you're burning fat. Even the dreaded weight watchers will induce fat burning - and I presume, ketosis (if you starve yourself enough!). During the night ordinary people on 'normal' diets go into ketosis.

Eating carbs once a week won't stop ketosis. There is a whole way of eating which relies on eating lots of carbs at the weekend and buring them by doing exercise on weekdays - and on weekdays they are in ketosis.

Ketosis is a normal state - it's just the name for the way we all burn fat.

Robert
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 13:44
Registered Member

I'm not sure but I don't think burning fat in any way is necessarily ketosis. I thought that converting fat into ketones and releasing them through breath, urine and sweat was ketosis. Poeple burn fa without being in ketosis correct?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 03:11

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I believe no. If you define ketosis as being a state which will turn a ketosis stick purple then maybe. However, as I understand it fats are broken down into ketones and that's the way we burn them. As all weight loss diets aim at burning body fat ketosis will be involved in all of them.

If I am wrong I am willing to be corrected. I have seen some very good links to articles on the process by which we digest fat but I can't remember where they were. Maybe someone else could step in and point them out.

Robert