Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 10:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/207/195 Male 5'11"
BF:33/26/21
Progress: 76%
Default I went to the doctor today

I told him that I was on the Atkin's diet so we talked about that for a bit. He said that he went to a nutritional clinic at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota not too long ago and they discussed it there. He said that everyone there was against Atkins. Not a big surprise there huh? His biggest thing was, is it better to be alot overweight or eat alot of low carb foods. But he said that as long as you are losing weight, taking your supplements and visiting the doctor you should be ok. I did get a few tests run so I am looking forward to getting those back. Well, at least I think I am.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 10:56

Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

Doctors are slowly coming to accept Atkins as a wonderful thing. I went to my doctor yesterday and was a little relieved she supported atkins. And of course my test results proved that the diet was making me healthier both my cholesteral 194 to 156 and bad cholesteral 112 to 87 went down. Triglycerides from 142 to 61.

Isn't that awesome.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:43

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

Jeff, my doctor had the same approach - as long as I'm losing, my blood tests are good and I take my vitamins than he's OK with me being on it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 13:11

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

I know that for my mom (who originally went on Atkins first) her doctor suggested she go on Atkins - to help her lose stubborn weight and give her more energy - he is a great Dr. so i trust that if he suggested it - it couldn't be half bad!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 13:45

Plan: aktins
Stats: 151/145/120
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Doctor and Atkins

I'm lucky; both my doctor and his assistant are on the Atkins diet.
I don't know how much I've lost exactly (3 different scales, 3 different results), but I'm 1 dress size smaller. when I told my coworker what my weight goal is, she said I'll look anorexic. My doctor said that I'll only look anorexic to people who are overweight, and to keep going. I started the diet Feb 17, 03.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:23

Plan: here and there since 11/02
Stats: 233/?/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 24%

Jkiter!
WE are on the right path!!

you are doing a great job!! keep it up!!

take care,
M-
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:35
Registered Member

Stats: 245/207/195 Male 5'11"
BF:33/26/21
Progress: 76%

That is good to hear that more doctors are getting on the Atkins bandwagon.

Jeff
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 16:02

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Anna, I checked your profile and your goal weight is perfectly reasonable for your height. I think that people sometimes don't have a sense of what is a sensible weight for people of a different height. Your coworker is probably thinking about how 120 would look on her, and not realizing that a lower weight is appropriate for you. For instance if she were 5'8", 120 would be seriously underweight. (I'm 5'1" so I'm in about the same boat as you.)

--Sarah

ps: on the topic, my doctor was terrific about Atkins. When I told him I was on a low carb diet he said "Good! Then you're taking care of yourself." What a relief!