Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 10:35

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 125//115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default To carb or not to carb, that is the question.

OK, here's my deal. I've been doing Atkin's for about 5 weeks now. I love it and feel great. I'm 19 years old and work out a lot. I don't feel like the lask of carbs has affected my performance. I ride the elliptical and lift light weights.

However, my problem is that I'm a competitive swimmer. I have not been training while on Atkin's. I plan to start training again next week. I don't know what to do. Should I add more carbs or not? I don't even remember how to eat carbs anymore!! And how many do I need? Should I up it a lot, or just eat some before my workout? But then again, isn't it possible that this will mess with my blood sugar and make me more tired?

I used to eat lots of fruit, but have had none since on this plan. I eat lots and lots of veggies and salads. I just added nuts. I don't know what else I could add without going overboard.

I know most of you will tell me to go to the exercise board, but my questions just never seem to be answered well there. I hope you all can help! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL/BFL exercise
Stats: 142/137/130
BF:
Progress: 42%

My own personal experience is that my workouts are harder for me doing low carb. I don't workout at the same intensity. Perhaps you should TRY low carbing during training. If your performance is suffering, try adding some healthy carbs a few hours before training or competition. Good luck with your competitions. Christa
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 12:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I think that's good advice... you're not fighting obesity here... you're just trying to slim a bit, right?

With all your activity, you'll need some extra carbs for some quick burning fuel...don't want to get into that lean muscle.

I'd stick around and wait for some pros to check in, but I think you're safe with having a bit more before training...GOOD carbs, of course!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 12:50
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

If you do add carbs, I'd add healthy whole grains and stay away from anything refined. Steel-cut oats, brown rice, and whole grain bread are much better for your blood sugar and your health than Rice Krispies, white rice, white bread and sweets. Dr. Atkins writes that most people should be able to add in more fruit and whole grains during maintenance. Just because you need extra carbs while you are training competitively doesn't mean that you have to eat unhealthfully.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 16:40

BF:

So, should I just eat a carb snack before practice? I was thinking maybe a banana with peanut butter or cottage cheese with an apple. Then, eating low carb as usual the rest of the day.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 23:57

BF:

Another problem I've thought of is that this will be much more expensive to do moderate carbs. It's like I'll be being all my low carb stuff, plus the other carb food.