Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 10:40

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default When do you take the psyllium husks(Metamucil)

Hi, I bought the sugar free metamucil to get my psylllium husk fiber. When is the best time to take this? I don't want any surprises when I'm commuting to work or in the office LOL!!
Thanks!
Elaine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 11:09

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I take 6 at around 8pm every nite. I havent ever had a problem with "surprises". It usually always happens in the morning (bout 7:00am with my coffee), sometimes not til lunch. I dont have a long commute though. For me, it does not work like a laxative. You will figure out how many your body needs a day and it will become regular provided you take them at around the same time every day.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

Well today is a good day to figure it out cause it's sunday. I don't have suprises either. I usually take mine in the morning if I am having a problem and it takes a couple of hours for it to do the trick.

Just tinker with it, your body will let you know. Maybe take 1/2 the dose if you are worried about it?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 12:03

Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I haven't needed it lately but I've taken it both in the morning and at night and have never had any problem with surprises. It's not a laxative...so you shouldn't have any cramping and urgency to get to the bathroom. It just helps move things along at a steady pace.

Tricia
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 14:01
Registered Member

Stats: 148/143.8/125
BF:
Progress: 18%

I was worried about constipation, but no problem at all! Every evening I eat a good sized serving of salad and drink a lot of water. I'm so happy, since I'm also prone to hemorr(...), and that would be really uncomfortable.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 15:06
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Elaine,

I take my psyllium first thing in the morning. There's not usually any "instant action" involved.

Whenever you take it, just be sure to take it 1 hour after or 2 hours before taking your supplements, as the psyllium can prevent full absorption of supps, especially minerals.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: General Low-carb
Stats: 146/120/110 Female 5'2"
BF:36%/24%/20%
Progress: 72%

I take mine morning and evening, mixed with a tbls of Udo Oil for EFAs. You shouldn't have any surprizes since it's not a stimulant laxative. But try taking only at night for awhile and then work up to morning and night, cuz it can cause gas/diarrhea in some people if you up your fiber too quickly.
Be sure to drink lots of water to prevent constipation when taking daily fiber supplements!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 09:47

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

I take mine in my morning protein shake which also serves as a delivery vehicle for things like my L glutamine, a hit of potassium if it's summer and I'm lifting bigtime, any oils I might be adding, etc.

Gotta love that morning shake. It's actually as bit of a ritual for me, even when I'm rushed. It's both taking the time to take care myself, and my daily reminder that I'm LC for life.

Cheers,

Friday

edit: Rosebud is right about fiber inhibiting absorbtion, but for me, forgetting inhibits worse

Last edited by fridayeyes : Tue, Mar-18-03 at 09:49.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 10:55
Registered Member

Stats: 215/173/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:40.4+/37.1/ ?
Progress: 65%
Smile Like food

Hi
Again the husks are actually no different that eating a high fiber food or lots of lower fiber foods (which is what I was constantly doing where I ate low cal for years)... they get into your system and your body doesn't know or care the difference between them and say any other regular foods with fiber.... so if you take the right amount your body should respond just like it ate food... with a natural level and experience of elimination. This is not some type of intestinal stimulant..... just food fiber, the same as you have been eating all your life this far. (Just that on LC you probably now were getting less than before.)
I drink the Konsyl (just ground psylium husks), which isn't bad once you add some sweet liquid (Splenda, of course) and drink fast (before it thickens too much)! I never tried the pills as it seems they couldn't have that much fiber all squished in them as a big tablespoon or so of Konsyl (Walmart).
I try to drink it in several smaller amounts during the day when I think of it, to make it more like food would go in. Often however, I only get to it once a day.
Adding this fiber has really made a HUGE difference in how I feel. For me there simply wasn't enough fiber in the allowed veggies per day and constipation (which I had never had a day in my life before) became miserable. I love the Konsyl for rescuing me!!! I also add Benefiber to any the glasses of tea I drink. It is AMAZING!!! Completely dissolves and is colorless and odorless... don't even know it is there and you get added soluable fiber (a bit expensive tho). It doesn't have insoluable fiber tho, so I like the Konsyl(husks) as a base.
Hope this helps. Remember take fiber supplement anytime you would normally consume food as it is just that... food fiber!
Cheers,