Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:55
Registered Member

Plan: general low carbs/atkins/
Stats: 167/152/139 Female 5'8''
BF:I'm/fat/again
Progress: 54%
Unhappy I'm tired of doing this...weight watchers next?

I'm really feeling like i'm done with this. I cant even manage to stay on induction for more than 5 days. I always have a bing, before my two weeks are up.

I really just dont know how to be moderate. I'm either eating such little carbs that i'm exhausted, or i want a banana split. Mind you, i've always had a sweet tooth,but i've never EVER had cravings like I do when i'm low carbing. I just think about all the foods i cant have and it drives me up the wall.

So i was wondering if i could loose my last 15 lbs. on Weight Watchers, but that sucks too bc i remember being NOTHING but hungery on that diet. I'm HYPOGLYCEMIC so thats not even an option to be hungery that is, bc i will most definitely pass out if i starve myself.

- I just want the strength to stay on this road and succeed.

- I want the strength to refuse sugar temptations

- I want to lose 15 more lbs.

- I want to stop whining about it and do it.

Crap! I just had half and apple and peanut butter (my favorite thing to eat ever hands down) is that going to set me back if i try to start induction today?

Oh yeah, i have no will to go the gym anymore either, i used to go 6 days a week....you know what, i think i'm dipping back into depression now that i think about it.

Its weird, when you type it out and look at your admitting statement. I dont want to go the dark place any more.....Help.

Jenn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:09

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'm sorry you're feeling so low. It must be frustrating to feel out of control. I bet you've been trying hard and it's not your FAULT that you can't stick to it. It might not be the right plan for you.

I'm definitely not an expert on this, but have you considered trying the Carbohydrate's Addict Diet? It's a lot like Atkins for two meals of the day, but in your "reward meal" you're allowed a moderate amount of carbs, including dessert, as long as it's balanced and starts with a salad. I'm simplifying, of course, but if you can't curb cravings (psychological and physical) and want to get control of your hypoglycemia, it may be a good path for you.

I'm not in favor of Weight Watchers because I think it's more of a weight loss diet that you won't stick to for maintenance. People on CAD seem to have no problems sticking with it for life, plus they can have a slice of cake after a dinner of salad, meat, veggies, and rice.

Just a thought. I hope you get some great suggestions and find something that works for YOU.

#3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:10

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Before you give up, try L-glutamine to fight your sweets cravings. I don't think you'll find WW any better- You still have to restrict what you eat, exercise, and put forth the effort to stick with it. I don't think a change of diets will make the difference- only an attitude adjustment will. Look how much you've already lost with the low carb plan. Look how close to your goal you are. Are you willing to risk throwing all that away? We all get discouraged some days, but that doesn't mean give up. Here's a poem I have up on my fridge that helps me when I'm feeling sorry for myself and having a rough day:
Don't Whine
Today I saw a lovely girl with golden hair,
envied her & wished I were so fair.
When she rose to go, she hobbled down the aisle.
She had one leg, wore a crutch & a smile.
Oh God forgive me when I whine,
I have 2 legs, the world is mine.
Then I stopped to buy some sweets.
The lad who sold them had such charm.
I talked with him- my being late was no harm.
As I left, he said to me,"You've been so kind.
You see,"he said,"I am blind."
Oh God forgive me when I whine,
I have 2 eyes, the world is mine.
Later, I saw a child with eyes of blue.
Watching others play, not knowing what to do.
"Why don't you join the others, dear?"
He stared ahead, he couldn't hear.
Oh God forgive me when I whine...
Anonymous Poet
So my point is try to focus on the positive, not the negative. Don't give up with your goal so close. I hope this helps. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/122/110
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default response to a few things you said

First of all the gym thing: I TOTALLY know how you feel, I used to go all the time and I just got burned out. So what I did is I took time off from the gym and started doing more outside. I started running, taking my dog on long walks, doing yard work, etc. If you can't do things outside, is there a place to play raquet ball where you live? I enjoy that, too. You wanna know the best thing I ever did to get myself modivated to exercise? I bought an MP3 player. No joke, there is nothing more modivating than listening to music if you ask me. Especially if you feel you are slipping into depression, you really need the physiological benefits of exercise. Do yourself a favor and get out there!
On another topic, just wondering how you lost 20lbs w/out getting through induction? WW always left me starving, too. Have you tried having some fatty protien before allowing yourself to "cheat"? BTW, its never too late to get back on track so yes, if you want to start induction today then do it! Most people say that if you really stay on track w/ induction, it only takes 1-2 weeks for those horrible cravings to go away. Why don't you just promise yourself that you will hang in there for 7 days (to break the 5 day cycle)? And then just take it day by day.
Last, I'd like to say:
Put the spoon down slowly and step away from the peanut butter.
Good luck to you
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:24
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AmyTN
[B]Before you give up, try L-glutamine to fight your sweets cravings.

Is this all natural ? I guess my question is what is in it? My cravings are getting bad and I am doing so good I don't want to ruin it!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:29

L-Glutamine is a nonessential amino acid that does a whole mess of stuff. I use it after workouts because it's good for muscle repair. Not sure why it helps carb cravings (maybe because it feeds the need?) but it does.

I'm sure a search would prove helpful. It is DEFINITELY all natural though.

#7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:31
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Jenn,
It seems like some type of lowcarb will be good for you because of the hypoglycemia.

I personally believe the word perfect should be outlawed. Noone does the plan perfectly, I think you can start where you are and take baby steps to learning how to work the plan for your body. It seems like your body wants more carbs, so why not give it more. I did induction and had 40 carbs per day. It slowed my weight loss but it has become easier for me to now eat 20 carbs a day. This isn't really the "atkins" plan its the Nancy plan. What's wrong with that? Right now I'm trying eating around 20 for 3-4 days, lose 2 pounds than up my carbs to 50ish to maintain the rest of the week. I'm eating 1700 calories a day, on ww I would be at 1200 and lose maybe a pound a week. If you like structure there are other higher carb plans. They didn't work for me, at a certain point higher carbs turn on my uncontrollable cravings, but they may be great for you. Or you can try cutting out the candy, bread, corn, potatoes, pasta, rice and see if you'll lose that way.

HTH nancy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 12:47
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 255/241/225
BF:40%/31%/26%
Progress: 47%

I'm hearing a lot of frustration and pain in your words....

I think Atkins is not the program for you. Skamito is right, hon. You should check out the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet and see if that works better for you.

I personally can't do the CAD diet because just one little slice of cake would lead to the whole darn thing! NO willpower, yanno.

As for that feeling of darkness... its wintertime, just before spring and I think everyone's feeling a bit of that drag.. try to take a walk outside, do something to change your scenery and stop dwelling so much on the numbers on the scale..

If you still feel it, visit your doctor. Please? I know that feeling, and I hate it, and sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and go.

T.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 13:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, CKD
Stats: 190/155/145
BF:
Progress: 78%

A Diet is about control and I see you have done quite well to get to this point.

remember reaching the goal only means that from then on you will not splurge everyday but maybe once a week.

It is hard Diets ... wanting to eat the food we cannot eat until we have reached our goal.

Sometimes you have to have some and it happens.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 13:40

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 325/283/200
BF:
Progress: 34%

I feel your pain. I developed some strategies to get me through induction without cheating. I always had something around that I could eat that was high fat or high protien, like sliced turkey, or celery w/cream cheese. That way when a craving hit I would have something to eat, additionally I had Diet Rite cola around an having some of it seemed to blunt the "sweet" part of the craving while the "hunger" part was given protien and fat. This seemed to make it much easier for me.

On induction I didn't give a hoot about calories, so if you are restricting your calories, even a little, don't. That might just be triggering cravings. I just ate until I was full, and tried to pay attention to when I was satisfied. If I ate too much then I tried to pay better attention the next time. What I found was that after a few days of just eating as much of the approved foods as I wanted, I started eating less. I was recognizing the satifaction point and stopping sooner. I drink 5-6 liters of water a day and take supplements to keep a lack of nutrients or water from triggering a craving as well. This method did not seem to interupt any weight loss.

If you are determined to Atkins, these strategies might help you. If you need more variety, look into other plans. The mistake, I think, people make, as someone mentioned above, is that they are so used to following a set diet "Plan" that they feel like it's the bible. It's not, it's a guideline. Yes, its true that some people may need to drastically reduce carbs to get their weight down, but if you go to the gym 6 days a week and have only 15 pounds to lose, I can assure you that you are probably not one of those people. Find a plan that looks like you can do it, then make it work for you. If you need the "rules" then maybe pick a less restrictive plan. Sure you may not lose the wieght as fast, but you will be successful inthe end, so who cares?

Don't abandon the low-carb altogether, the health benefits are too great to give up. You just need to get through that first phase so you can feel them for yourself!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 14:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/175/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: -100%

I've been there so many times...

I've been on the last 15 lbs since December. Get on plan, lose 5 lbs, get off, gain 2, get back on...

The process is frustrating but looking back I realise that I've been trending downward overall, so what if it does not go smoothly? As long as it goes I'm happy.

Also you must recognize that the last few lbs are HELL to get rid of. Your body will hold on to those for dear life. It's a test of wills, your mind against your body, which is stronger?

Re cravings, I'm a huge carb addict and have no willpower. I find that eating constantly helps. I have meat & veg for breakfast, meat or nuts mid-moning, more meat & veg for lunch, meat in the afternon and meat in the evening. After a few days I'm so sick of meat that it's pretty easy for me to do a juice fast. After a break of a day or two, I'm ready for induction again.

Also, the recipes section should have gobs of low carb sweet treats. Eat like you mean it!

Finally, I am bone lazy. I bought Bodyflex a few years ago and swear by it. I combine the BF breathing with Yoga poses. 15 mins per day, three days per week yields noticeable results.

Drop me a line, let me know where you go from here.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 23:37
Registered Member

Plan: general low carbs/atkins/
Stats: 167/152/139 Female 5'8''
BF:I'm/fat/again
Progress: 54%

I owe every pound thats not on me from now on from each and everysingle one of you.

I sincerely love you all. If any one ever needs a thing please dont ever hesitate to lemme know!!!!!!!

Your all right, I have to get back on my horse, i've gotten this far, now its time to kick it into high gear to the finish line.

SCREW WEIGHT WATCHERS. Hunger SUCKS!!!

I'm not going to front i totally had ice cream tonight bc i was like all is lost ho hum...whoa is me. but you know what, how can i be all sad and pitty party when i have THIS MUCH support and love and care???

I mean seriously. Get your stuff together Jenn. GO out get some nutz, bacon, califlower, steak, diet rite, cream cheese and eggs and go to town, and when i get SKINNY and make it as a makeup artist in NYC i'm having a HUGE ass low carb GALA so we can all eat bacon and lobster and be skinny and giggly about your success and pride, and how much we all really support each ohter each and every day along the way.....

THANK YOU!

JEnn
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:30

Default Go Jenn!

Yay!!!

You go get em!

p.s. I love this forum.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:37

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better and sticking with it. You're worth the extra effort. Good luck, and we're all here whenever you need us.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:52

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's the attitude, Jenn! you can do this.

Cindy