Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy What about the big 'p'

So, I'm almost due for my period, and i have not seen a bit of loss for the past 4 days. Is this normal? My keto strips are as purple as ever, so I guess I am still burning fat. I have been following the plan, even drinking extra water. Will it all 'catch up' with me?

I guess all I can do is keep trying. Does this pre-period slow down happen to others?

Muchos Gracias
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 12:27
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

This is the very reason I started searching the boards. Just didn't want to bring up the subject myself. I wish I had an answer to your question, but I am in the exact same spot you are in. I guess we can both hope for a happy surprise when all is said and done. A 5 pound drop would be nice all of a sudden! Did you get that WHOOSH fairy? I can here her laughing at me now, "poor misguide mortal ."
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 13:29

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
TOM, as the big 'p' is referred to around here, can often wreak havoc on your system. It is totally normal for one to retain up to 7-8 (some even more!!) lbs. before/during/after TOM. No worries though, if you follow the plan, those extra lbs. will go and may take a few more with them! I, personally, gain a few and then lose them after TOM has packed up and left. Sometimes he takes a few more w/him, but not too often. I also have TOM visits where my weight stays put w/no fluctuations- that's rarely though. I've gotten to the point where I don't expect any loss when TOM is coming to town.

If your keto sticks are dark purple, that shows one of 3 things:
1) You're actually dehydrated and need to drink some more water (sometimes I swear I'll float away...)
2) You've tested after a meal- fat will trigger the sticks to show positive
3) Alcohol will do the same as fats and trigger a positive response on the sticks

HTH! Feel free to ask anything about TOM- there's plenty of us gals out here that are more than willing to help.

Nikki

Last edited by Tiggerdy : Thu, Mar-06-03 at 13:31.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 03:12
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Slack and Mary!

yes, it seems to be normal. From two observations I can say:

-first a big, unexpected hunger some days or week before TOM
-then retaining water which can make you believe you are gaining again or you're stalled *WRONG*
- then a big weight loss!!!!
Good news, my PMS is gone and the water retention is not even close to what it used to be before lowcarbing.

Be patient!

Good luck....

Alina
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 05:45
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Alina and Tiggerdy have described my experience as well.

The week before TOM comes to visit I want to eat all the time and my weight doesn't budge. It usually takes 3 or 4 days after it is over for my scale to show any change. Don't worry!

My bloating is almost gone and my other symptoms are mucho reduced.

Paleoanth