Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 20:46

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 206/199/155
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Ok Aus/NZ'ers I got Blaze`

SO I had lost 4kg on Saturday morning by doing Aitkins.
BUT

I got blaze` and read Scotch 0g carb - so several on sat and sun and yesterday had put on a whole kg.
Went back and read book, then posed the question to the Forum and this is the result. I am back to day one.
Read in the Forum a response that read like this*****

Drinking alcohol will not stop ketosis. Your liver can and will make ketones quite readily from the alcohol ... in fact the process is simpler than making ketones from fat, so alcohol will be used in preference as long as it's in your bloodstream. Which means there will be no burning of body fat until the alcohol has completely cleared from your system. If you're testing with the sticks, they'll continue to show positive. Be aware though, that alcohol can trigger insulin, which means any carbs and fat you eat at the same time may ultimately be converted to triglycerides, which is the storage FORM OF FAT.

So it's a double-whammy ... alcohol can inhibit fat-burning and may trigger fat-storage. Proceed with caution. You can and will put on weight if you indulge even if you are on 15-20 gram carb a day. BACK to square one. Do 3 days of intense induction then back onto normal induction and you should be ok. BE PATIENT your body is a fine tuned machine and you are playing with it's 'mind' if you try and do tricky things.

Make sure you drink lots of WATER before during and after, because the usual dehydration one normally experiences when drinking will be more pronounced with ketosis. This can lead to the hangover from Hades ..

And do take care with the food choices. A lot of folks find their willpower goes out the window after a few drinks ..

*****So you can learn from me that "logically speaking 0 = 0 but when you are dealing with the body 0 = ++ / BUMMER.
Oh well I guess it is some form of blessing. I will be drinking only Soda Diet Lime (Bickfords do a good one) and Bitters when I go out and local Dry Ginger for a while now. It is 5 weeks today till my birthday and so want to loose another 5 kg if at all possible - determined to get the 18kg off this is it!!!
So I hope I have helped someone out with this tricky one. Believe me I did NOT like the 1 K gain and in fact I think it was good for me to bring me a bit humble and to not 'I know how all"
Have a smiley day now
Cheers
Bron7
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 22:38

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

I find that alcohol makes me bloat and retain fluid, I put on a kg or so but it isnt fat.... I can tell its fluid when I cant get my rings off!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 15:26

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 206/199/155
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thanks I have lost the KG now but still feel really 'off' and still not back into ketosis - how long does that take to go ???
I AM OVER EGGS
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 17:14

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

When I 'play up' it usually take about 4 days to get back on track with weight & ketosis.....
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 13:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 448/358/295 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Talking way cute

Jaddles!

I just have to say u have to be the cutest thing I have ever seen!

Im coming down under to make you supper