Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-05, 08:15
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default Canuck moving to Colorado...

Hi there,

I'm moving to Colorado in the next month or so, and I'm curious to know if there are members here who are in the Boulder county area..

Are there a few Coloradans around these forums?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 09:42

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

There's a few of us. At least 2 who are in Colorado Springs. I haven't noticed anyone from Boulder. I always ask when I see CO on someones stats.

What is drawing you to Boulder? It is an interesting place, especially down by Pearl Street (pedestrian shopping area).

Be warned, if you come from lower altitudes be very gentle with your self for the first week or two. You do NOT want to get altitude sickness, which feels like the worst flu you've ever had. Drink until you float.

Also, March and April are the biggest snow months.

I absolutely love Colorado. I've lived all over the world, and I like Colorado best.

Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 10:37
I've decided

Hey thanks for the welcome! Glad to know there's at least a few of us LC'ers around.

I'm moving because that's where my husband's from, and we've decided it's best to have me move there. I'm just wrapping up the final stages of my spousal visa application (a long and complex process), and then I'll be moving.

I've been to Colorado a few times to visit, but have never lived there. And I must admit, moving to a whole new place where I don't really know anyone other than my husband and his college-age kids is a bit scary! That's why I was asking if there were some lc'ers on these forums from CO.

I have a very close extended family here, and lots of friends. I'm going to miss them all a lot. This being said, I'm looking forward to starting my new life..and being with my husband and his kids. They are my family now too, and I can't wait to finally be able to settle down and get on with our lives.

Err...March and April are the biggest snow months??? Eeek...I'll be moving in April, provided everything is finished up with my visa application. Um..it rarely snows here, so I'm sure that'll be an experience

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome. It is much appreciated.

Looking forward to shopping on the Pearl St. Mall again...that was fun
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 11:28

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

You must be moving from the west coast to Colorado. I grew up in Colorado and moved to the west coast. It looks like we get a lot of snow here, because every time it snows we take a lot of pictures! It's so dry there, I used to walk outside on the snow barefooted and not feel the cold (but defintiely get numb feet!). Be sure and drink lots of water till your system gets used to the dryness. One thing I miss--at night in the mountains the stars are simply amazing. If you get away from the city lights, you'll see what high altitude and dry air can do for star gazing!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 14:22

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you are going. I was looking forward to seeing you again at one of our "Vancouver Dinners".
Good luck on the move.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 15:56

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Colorado is VERY DRY. I think we get around 11 inches of precipitation a year, but that may be NM, where I used to live. Most of that falls as snow in March and April, or as monsoon rain in July and August.

Buy some really good lotion. You'll use a lot at first.
Buy a humidifier for your bedroom. Any cheap one will do, but run it all the time. You'll sleep better.
Drink until you float! We drink a lot on Atkins, but you'll need more. The dryness will suck the moisture out of your body, and you'll never notice. Eventually, you get used to that too.

They say it takes 6 mos for every 1000 ft above 5000 to increase the number of red blood cells in your body to properly handle the altitude. Increasing your red meat intake can help.

You've been here before, so you know a little about what to expect, but visits are different. Be very nice with yourself. I don't know what your workouts are like, but I'd recommend skipping the first week, and adding 1/4 or 1/3 per week until you're back at what you could do before.

Some people (me) have problems when first moving to altitude, others hardly notice. Hopefully you'll be one of those.

I find the people in CO to be very friendly, so take a class or join a gym or a club of some sort, and you'll have friends in no time. There is a university there so its very diverse, and you're close to Denver, which gets even more interesting cultural activities.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 19:16
I've decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricia52
Wow, I'm sorry to hear you are going. I was looking forward to seeing you again at one of our "Vancouver Dinners".
Good luck on the move.

Thanks for making me feel so welcome as a newbie to the Vancouver LC group. I'm sure I'll be back for visits, and I hope to catch you all at one of the Vancouver dinners when I do. That meal at the Fish House was wonderful, and I really enjoyed everyone's company. I'm looking forward to doing that again...I'll just have to post when I come to visit and insist that we have a get together...

Thanks to everyone for the hints and tips, especially about the dryness factor. Oh...and I can't wait to look at the stars one night soon..I love looking at the stars. Sounds like a romantic evening to me