Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 17:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%
Question Will this work for me?

I am skipping the introducing myself step for a bit until I find out if this will even work for me. I am thinking about starting Atkins after we return from a trip to Mexico in a few weeks. My problem? I don't like salad. Bleh! No leafy greens. In fact, there are a LOT of veggies I don't like. I do like cauliflower, broccoli, artichokes, mushrooms. Most of the others I like are probably too starchy or sugary - corn, peas, lima beans, carrots. Is there any way I will be able to make this work? The book says to eat 2 cups of leafy greens and one cup of other veggies. So, what do I do? Can I eat extra of the veggies I do like?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 19:09
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi there,

You are not alone in not liking veggies, I don't like many and on low fat diets hardly ate any because I couldn't put anything on them!!!! This way, you can drown your lettuce in dressing, and put butter on brocoli and those other disgusting green things
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 19:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello and welcome!

I don't know which copy of the book you have, but the newer one I have has a whole list of so-called "salad" veggies, and they're not all lettuces. Cucumber, celery, mushrooms, radishes, and green peppers are among the salad veggies. You're supposed to have three cups of that, *or* two cups of salad veggies plus one cup of other veggies, listed seperately. <b>BUT</b> - if you honestly don't like them, I don't see why you can't have more of the other veggies as long as you count the carbohydrate grams.

I, for one, would be lying if I said I ate as many veggies as I was supposed to. Don't worry, you wouldn't be the first salad-hater to do Atkins. It's do-able, give it a shot!

Now, another option would be to consider a different plan than Atkins. Have a gander at the "Which low carb program is right for me?" link under "quick links" over to the right. For example, Protein Power is similar to Atkins, but you're permitted pretty much unlimited low-carb veggies.

>>"you can drown your lettuce in dressing, and put butter on brocoli and those other disgusting green things..."

Koko, that's how I think of it. I am a recovering vegetable-hater. Now, when I go to a restaurant, I wolf down the salad before anything else!

Best of luck, and enjoy your vacation!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 19:58
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

There really is a great variety of things you are allowed to eat. Please take a look again at the induction allowed foods

Try it by doing it right for two weeks and see how you feel.

Then after induction you can mix and match to just keep under the carb limits you set for yourself.

It works and you are going to feel great! Once you detox that is....

All the best to you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 21:41

Stats: 211/197/160 Female 5 foot 9
BF:
Progress: 27%

One of my first posts was "how do I get down all that salad?" But I don't really eat that much salad. I saute everything - lots of butter, of course, mushrooms and peppers. Cooked cauliflower with a mayonnaise and cheddar cheese topping broiled on. Steamed spinach swimming in butter and a bit of vinegar. And losing 13 pounds in a little under a month is pretty good incentive.

I'm starting to actually like vegetables.

Give it a try -- you've got nothing to lose -- except maybe a few pounds!!

Bev