Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 07:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/303/225 Male 5-8
BF:whopping!
Progress: 0%
Default Not good...

How did I go from LOSING 8 pounds to gaining a pound back? I followed the routine...I drank GALLONS of water...the ketostix say I am in Ketosis, yet I weighed this morning and was up to 308. This is kinda depressing. Any idea why this might happen? IT's a little discouraging.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 07:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Allen!

Relax! What you're experiencing is very normal. When you are doing induction, you tend to lose a lot of water at first and sometimes your body decides that it wants a bit of it back. Weight loss is also very rarely in a steady downward move; you'll have a lot of ups and downs along the way. Stick with what you're doing and you'll most likely see that scale move downward again soon.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 08:02
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Water

Fear not. The body holds water some days. How often are you weighing yourself? I recommend no more and once a week. I only weigh once a month. I want to see, real, significant results each time. Milestones. Above all, don't get discouraged Stick to the plan and you will lose weight. It doesn't come off every day. Remember, exercise helps keep you in fat burning mode too.

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 08:08

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default ME TOO

Today isn't my weigh in, but I got on those scales and was so sad to see a three lb gain...So, I know how you feel...We've just gotta give ourself a quick kick in the rear, and get up and face the day...I'm talking to me just as well as you...Thinking positive is the only way that we will make it...I also think the encouragement of one another will help...I have about 75 more lbs to loose and hope to do it by december 25, 2003...So..gotta get...You have a good day...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 08:09

I weigh in about every other day. I was feeling great about this and then BAM, like a ton of bricks I get hit with a pound up! I will take your advice and not panic over it and know that it could be water weight and such...may just start weighing once per week now or maybe every other week...still can't help but be bummed a little tho.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 08:31

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Being bummed a bit is normal, but so is the fluctuation. I used to get upset at a 1/2 pound or two in the wrong direction. But it could just be water weight or "unprocessed food" that you've eaten that isn't through your system yet. I recently had a 6 pound gain - but I know that it was because I was sick, on antibiotics and since I didn't want anything to eat except oatmeal of chicken noodle soup - it was to be expected. This week I am down 2.5 of those pounds, and I know they will come off, plus with a few friends.

For me they key, is to remember that this is not a race.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 08:50

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've been on this WOE for a little over 8 months, so I'm only a semi-experienced low-carber but I've been reading this forum consistently and I have a word for you new folks: Throw away the scales if they are causing you anxiety! At most, weigh yourself one time per week. You will loose weight on this WOE but it isn't likely to be a totally downward trend. You can really mess up your determination if you freak out over scale numbers. Your clothes are your best indicator and maybe a tape measure. Also, concentrate on how you are feeling and how good all this wonderful low-carb food tastes.

Be good to yourselves, folks! You CAN do this.....
Cindy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 09:33

Thanks for the advice, Cindy! I thiknk I may need to stay off of the salt so much. I may be retaining water as I drink GALLONS of water and dont go to the bathroom that often. Think I will lower my salt intake and see if that helps too.

Im gonna take your advice, Cindy and weigh about once a week now. Maybe that will psychologically help me master this WOL.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 10:56

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Default Follow the trend

Hi all,

mObster, I don't want to contradict everyone else's good advice, but I do weigh everyday. One thing it shows is constant up a pound, down a pound daily fluctuations.

But what I'm looking for is the trend. Add up your weight for every single day of the week, and divide by 7. Of course, you want the "average" weight for this week to be less than the "average" weight for last week.

For me, weighing every day is part of the process, a symbol, if you will, of my commitment to this way of eating. A daily reminder I don't really need. Just part of the reinforcement process.

And, yeah, I feel sad on a day when the scales choose to bounce up. Sad, but not defeated, 'cause I know I can expect that. As long as the pattern, the trend, is down.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 11:01

BF:

Arrow, you make some good points. For some, weighing in everday is a way to reinforce and remind and sometimes encourage "good behavior" during the day. Weighing in once a week or less would not be good for those like you. For me, since I have a tendancy to freak out about the little gains (even though I know I shouldn't) I weigh in once a week. And for some, once a week is even too much.

As for most things, your milage may vary - and this is one of those things that you have to find out for yourself, which works best for you!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 11:30
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I'll betcha fifty cents that pound will be gone tomorrow...

I had a pig-out on Sat night - all LC foods, but WAY too much eating!! The next morning, 3 pounds UP. I didn't freak, didn't even worry...I just told myself to expect that every time I fill up like that...and even sometimes when I don't!

Today, they're outta here. It's normal, up one, down two, up 2, down three....don't give it another thought. Look at the LONGTERM picture...it will all lean downwards in the end.

#12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 11:40

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I weigh myself every day after my first pee in the morning. My weight usually fluctuates about 1/2 a pound to a pound. I track my weight with the fitday chart, and it looks like a zigzag but the trend is downward which I'm really glad about. I know the weight won't be gone overnight, and as long as it's a downward trend, I don't worry about those fluctuation. I know I'm doing the right thing, and I know it works! Heck, I've lost more weight in 3 weeks than I would've if I was torturing myself on them low fat low calorie diets! You're doing great Allen, keep it up!

#13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 11:53

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I weigh usually three times a week. What I dont understand is.......I weighed 153 last night before going to bed, when I got up I weighed 149. How can I lose that many pounds overnight? I only went to the bathroom once when i got up. Its always like that!!! I didnt think pee weighed 4 pounds!!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 12:14

Plan: Modified SB...switched from Atkins
Stats: 150/145/125
BF:
Progress: 20%

LOL..Vicki

I have wrapped my mind around the whole "pee mystery"thing, wondering if I was peeing heavier than I use to.

Hi Allen (and everyone) been following your posts on and off ...have yet to read your journal(but Im working on it, there is just sooooooooooo much on this site!) Please dont get discouraged( I know its hard at times) you are doing so great, and fluctations seem to be a very common thing with everyone.

I got down to 144( 11 days on induction) then bumped up to 147 and am now down one. In my case it was me slipping up on my carb count but even if I didnt Im postive I would see a stall or scale jump sometime. Its all part of it. Im back on induction day 1 and going to take my measurements and track inch loss too.

Thank goodness I found this site, for if I didnt know that this was something everyone went through I would have quit, thinking it was one of those many "fad diets" I was on in the past.

Keep up the determination, Allen, Im sure the scale will start moving down again in no time!

Arrow your post was very helpful, I'm gonna incorporate the averaging into my plan. Thanks so much! I too weigh in every morning....just like to completely know what my body is doing day to day fluctations and all.

Much love, laughter and success to everyone!

#15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 12:21

BF:

LOL, I used to think my pee weighed that much too (I was tempted to weigh it once)... I mean where else would the weight have gone? Finally I figured out that the body uses up water even while sleeping - during normal respiration, etc. Your body also burns some calories too! So even though we are asleep, our bodies really never go to zero fuel consumption.