Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%
Unhappy I'm Bummed and having a pity party!!

I am wondering if this is the right thing for me. I am experiencing what i consider very slow weight loss. I have been on this WOE since Jan 2, 03 and have lost 8lbs so far. My Doc has not done anything to help me lose weight. Like he does not care. My husband sits on the couch eating potato chips and ice cream right in front of me. Well at least he does not offer me them anymore. that's a plus. Not to mention the looks and snickers i get from people i dont even know. I have very few people encouraging me but very many people laughing or making rude comments and looks. I just dont get people anymore. Why cant they realize that does not encourage people it most of the time makes them worse. Well.....enough sulking.
I need encouragement !!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:57

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Pokey - my heart goes out to you. I would give you a big hug if I could. You are really trying and have a lot of obstacles to overcome with your spouse not low-carbing and not helping much. It IS hard and painful to deal with other people's reactions to our weight. It sure doesn't help us when we already have that self-loathing. We so don't need to be reminded.

I have a few suggestions - you might try an overeater's anonymous group. I was heavily involved in this when I was in my twenties and it was the best thing in the world for me. I never lost weight - but that isn't why they are there. They taught me to live a good life as a heavy person and quit crucifying myself.

People might find that hard to believe about me because I complain so much here about being fat. BUT when I was younger, my weight totally wrecked my life. I wouldn't even buy clothes, or go anywhere. I had no sex life because I wouldn't take my clothes off (the stories I could tell). They taught me pride and I have wonderful clothes and have had a tremendous career. I went on from there and had relationships and am now settled down. I even like nude beaches and spas and stuff. Without them, I would never have gotten there. The meetings are free, they have them ALL the time, and you really get the support you need. You don't even have to sign up - you just show up.

Keep using the forum! Visit journals and get to know people better. They really will be there for you!! It does take awhile to really establish a friendship but with some work, you can build a great support system for yourself. I am sure here for you in good times and in bad .

Eight pounds is slow, I will certainly give you that. BUT you have had some unique problems and you live with a non-low-carber (the horror). But eight pounds is eight pounds and that weight will go down!! You have taken a great step by being honest about how you feel and the frustrations you are experiencing. If we can get through those rough times we can make it!! You CAN do this and you sure deserve this! We can all stick together and pull each other over those big fences!!

Thanks for sharing - Cindi
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 345/265/150
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Hang in there!

Eight pounds in six weeks! That's Great!. How much do you think you would have lost if you hadn't been following this WOE?

I see you're on Atkins. Have you followed it before? Are you an older adult? I understand these things make the going slower for some people, but it still goes.

You can learn oh so much from this website that will help. I don't care what plan each low carber is following, all the plans need a little tweaking to suit the individual.

For instance, you may be sensitive to Dairy or artificial sweeteners and need to cut back on those items. Or you may not be eating enough calories, believe it or not.

As for the people that give you funny looks or make rude comments, ask them how much They have lost on their way of eating in six weeks. Probably nothing.

Ask them what's wrong with a plan that asks you to give up white flour and white sugar. Ask them what is so unhealthy about a diet of nice lean meats and lots of delicious non-starchy veggies!.

Think of your program as an adventure. Make it a point to learn something new every day. Resolve to try at least one new veggie a week. And if you didn't like that veggie the first time, try to prepare it a different way. I've found a little butter, salt, garlic or onion powder and maybe some cheese or sour cream can do wonderful things for all kinds of veggies.

Once again, as for those who are negative or don't support you, ignore them. As your success shows more and more, they are going to start wondering how they can do it too. Right now, I have seven converts who are all losing weight.

And as for support, that's what we're here for.

Best of luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 13:04
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I agree - 8lbs is GREAT!

Everyones body works differently and you are losing and eating healthy and finally without guilt.

Think about it ... if last year someone said to you "you can eat delicious food whenever you are hungry -- without guilt and lose weight and be healthy" wouldn't you have said... COUNT ME IN!

You did and we know you are going to get to your goal in a healthy way AND keep it off because you are going slow and steady and so maintenance will just be a way of life for you!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 13:06

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I also understand that your expectation was to lose at a quicker rate. But I think you have to set your sights down the road a bit further.

You have to think about the many health and quality of life benefits from the new WOE. Don't just use the scale as your only measure. Take measurments. Check how your clothing fits. Do you find you have more energy? Are you spending as much time on the couch watching your hubby eat chips or are you more active?

It's still early in the game. Be patient and be sure you're following your program to the letter. If you're not sure, go back and read the book again. I've done that and realized that I was experiencing carb creep.

Need motivation? Spring and Summer are about 5 minutes away....

And if you really need a pick me up, think back to before you were LCing. What was your rate of weight gain? Do the math and figure out how much more you would weigh now had you not started LCing.

You can do it! The more time you give this, the better you'll feel...

Donald

P.S. You're not burning any fat sitting on that pity pot, so get up and move!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 13:14

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 340/246/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hello~ Just wanted to add my support to everyone elses. It feels great to drop a lot of weight fast........but picture 8 lbs. of butter.........it's a lot!
This is a change that you make for alwasy.......not something you just go on and then off........these changes make you feel soooooo much better.
I know it's hard with a spouse who you feel is not helping.........but the bottom line is that this is YOUR program and you are doing it for YOU!
Why don't you post your food here in your journal.........ruthlessly write down every morsal..........some foods cause stalls and you could let us help you taylor it to your needs. This is a great place for support and info. You aren't alone in this~ *hug*
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 13:45

BF:
Default Thanks for you support

I am following the WOE to the letter. I hope!! This is the one time in my fat life that i have done something (WOE) and actually am ready to and am sticking to it. I am keeping a journal but have not been motivated to write in it lately. I have started lifting weights and really dont expect to see much results yet.
Donald i have taken measurements and so far nothing, maybe 1" in the hips. My pant-o-meter is showing nothing. I wake up everyday hoping i will try on some piece of clothing hoping it will feel or fit different. But nothing.
I have surgery to think about come Oct and really am scared because i want to be able to fit in a knee brace after it. I am scared because i have never had surgery.
Plus the fact that i am 30 and have not done half the things i wanted to because i have been overweight all my life.

Blondie: i have done this WOE before, last year around this time and that time i lost 7 lbs in 4 days. but was not ready at that time and went off. As far as being an older adult. I dont consider 30 old but some may. Although i feel 50.
Aww gawd here i go again.
Donald you are right i am not burning any fat sitting here on my pitty pot.
I really want to thank everbody to responded to me I appreciate your support.
Thank you, Thank you!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 15:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 298/265/145
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hey Miss Pokey -

Don't give up ! Every pound does matter; and as others have put it so eloquently in replies above, the benefits of low carb cover way more than our weight.

I want to comment on the rude comments & looks. First of all, they're insenstive louts! Don't listen to them, they ARE NOT RIGHT! You can't change them; you can choose to not let it in.

My favorite expression on this is "Their opinion of me is none of my business". Was hard for me to get this for years, but it really doesn't matter what other people think. It matters loads what I think (about me). It matters most to Pokey what YOU think about Pokey.

And lordy, I understand that pity pot. I've set on it & in it for what seems like years. A wise friend taught me this. When you feel the need, then climb on it or in it. The catch is: make a time limit. In other words, say for 10 minutes I'm going to max it out. I'm gonna wallow in self pity (or other negative emotion.) Don't do anything else in those 10 minutes but feel! Crank it up, cry, scream, whimper, whatever. Then when the time is up, STOP. That's it.

The technique is designed to let you express and feel and then LET IT GO. Easier to say than do sometimes, and yet - somehow giving yourself complete permission, and a boundary of a place & time frame where it's A-OK and not unhealthy, to let "it" come through can be super liberating. When you catch yourself heading toward self-pity the next time, the rule is nip it in the bud, shift your thoughts to something else, until you give yourself another designated "let it out" time.

For me, it was like any lesson - I couldn't learn to stay out of self pity all at once - and I still fall in from time-to-time - but I love not letting it rule my life!

Hope this might help~
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 15:14

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 285/227/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ditto what everyone else said, Pokey. =D

Thanks for speaking up about how you were feeling. You opened the door for all this wisdom to pour through the internet, right to your door. =D
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 15:22

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

Just wanted to join the others in their support of you. As it has been said and I agree, you are doing great. I'm so glad you came here instead of letting it all cave in and send you into the kitchen for a real pity party.

Anyway, don't give up. You can do it.

Deb
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 16:10

BF:
Default Ok I am done

Thanks to all of you for your support. I guess i just needed reasurance that i am doing the right thing.
I am a very impatient person, and want quick results or results like others are having.
Earthlight you are so right I was sick of sittin on the pitty pot.
Yur Grrrrrrreat!!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 17:29
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I'm a little late, but . . .

here's another thought, from a slightly different angle. In "The Schwartzbein Principle" Dr. Schwartzbein says that sometimes healing has to come before weight loss. You're dealing with a metabolic disorder (insulin resistance) that causes a host of physical problems that need to be corrected, and some bodies will hang onto the weight for a while while they deal with those problems. Her message: don't give up. Once you heal, you'll drop the weight.

It may be wishful thinking on my part (I'm a slow loser too) but I think she's right. Keep with the program and you'll end up healthier and thinner.

All the best to you.

--Ruth