Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 12:31
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Chromium picolinate vs Chromium

What's the difference between the two? I have been using Chromium picolinate but in a few months ago, my store was out so I got regular Chromium. I don't like the taste of the pills but is there any other differences?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 15:03

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Here is some research I pulled up on the subject. I hope that it helps you in understanding this issue, which is highly involved with intercellular chemistry.

It seems to me that "Protein Power" says pretty much the same as this article, just less technical detail:

Mineral uptake by tissues is far greater when the mineral is a Picolinate, rather than the other forms. Since our bodies utilize
Picolinic acid to absorb and transport certain minerals, and our cells recognize mineral picolinates and readily use them, it makes
sense to design mineral supplements based on this knowledge.

There is evidence that zinc may be a component of other hormones in addition to insulin, and that it is involved in cell membrane
health. Surgeons have recognized the importance of zinc in wound healing - and studies show that zinc reduces infections as
well. But research nutritionists have been perplexed by zinc's behavior. Persons eating adequate amounts of zinc do not always
absorb adequate amounts of zinc.

Dr. Evans' group demonstrated that adding Picolinic acid to standard diets increased the amount of zinc actually absorbed. Dr.
Evans found that adding five milligrams of zinc Picolinate to the diet alleviated acrodermatitis enteropathica symptoms, whereas
60 milligrams per day of zinc sulfate did not.

http://www.luminet.net/~wenonah/hydro/picolina.htm
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 16:05

BF:

Here is a much more balanced and scientific article regarding chromium.

You might find it interesting. I certainly have! Thanks for helping me with my self education.

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/chromium

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 11:55
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Hmmm

I take 400mg is this too much?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Lessara
I have wondered about the difference between the two as well.
I think it was 1998 when I first did Atkins, at that time I bought
Solgar chromium and I looked it up:

Quote:
Sugar, Salt and Starch Free. Solgar's Chromium Picolinate Capsules are free of corn, yeast, wheat, soy and dairy products and are formulated without the use of preservatives, artificial flavors and colors. Each 200 mcg of elemental chromium is from 1.6 mg (1,600 mcg) of Chromium Tripicolinate, as Nutrition 21's Chromax. Chromax is a certified biologically active form of Chromium Picolinate, a yeast free source of Chromium. Licensed under U.S. Patent No. Re. 33,988.

Well I ran out of the Chromium, fell off the carb wagon and have been struggling to get back ever since. Not that I can prove this supplement had anything to do with my success back then (I lost forty in 3months) I just have this feeling that it helped. I have tried other Chromium products, and was told they are all the same. However I find it interesting that Solgar points out that their product is certified biologically active. Rather like yogurt, it only has health benefits if the bacteria are active.
Well I can see I would need to do more research on Chromium but I am going to try and find this particular product locally or order it again. I do drink coffee and I know they say it can raise your insulin levels and then sugar levels, I think that is where chromium helps to level everything out.
Well have a great day everyone!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:53

BF:

Dr. Atkins recommends between 200-600 mcg. per day of Chromium picolinate, depending upon your level of insulin resistance and your individual condition and needs.

I have been taking 400 mcg. per day for about 4 months now. Seems to be working well for me. My blood pressure is much better than it was 5 months ago, and is actually borderline normal now.

Please note, that is 400 micrograms (mcg), not 400 milli grams (mg).

If you need it, 400 mcg. is not too much, could even be too little. If you don't need it, yes, it is too much.

Did you read the articles linked above??

There is a good discussion in "Protein Power" regarding Chromium and its use in our bodies also. Well worth reading, IMO.