Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: general low carbs/atkins/
Stats: 167/152/139 Female 5'8''
BF:I'm/fat/again
Progress: 54%
Unhappy I fell off the wagon

I've been low carbing for a while, dieting for ages (on and off obviously), i'm down to 152 (135 is my magical dream/aka a size 4), but with a combination of my parents wigging out on me, hitting a weight platuea, getting my body fat taken, and my TOM and the fact that its so cold it hurts and the sun is just a distant memory, i FELL OFF THE WAGON. Actually, i jumped. I dove head first into a vat of banana splits, godiva, cheese burgers, and cereal. I punished myself hard core and now i feel like poop.

I was telling my self when i started 6 days ago, that I had this "off the diet time" totally under control and it was going to be a 3 stint of low fat, high carb fruits, cereal, and milk. But alas, I turned into a monster, and now i feel fat and bloated and whoosy, and really silly and stupid. I just feel like i'm NEVER going to get thin, my stomach is never ever going to be tight, and since i'm 24 and only getting older maybe i should just give up and be fat and full.

I hit a diet plateau, wanted results quicker and now i'm back to square one. i'm totally not looking forward to day one of induction. Being tired, and the carb withdrawl is HORRIBLE you'd think i was in heroine detox!

Somebody tell me its going to be ok, or tell me you've traveled down this dark road, or tell me to have a piece of steak

actually, comming clean like that kind of helped. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

JM,

Don't beat yourself up. Feeling lousy physically is punishment enough.

You may have plunged off the wagon head first, but jump right back on. Do not let this carryover to another day, and linger for weeks until you've lost everything you have worked hard for.

Get back on track. I've been there, done that. Trust me. And I already know there will be a day when it happens again. I don't want it to but I am an addict. Eh, I live with it, it just means I'm human.

So get back on track, go back to the beginning, start feeling good about feeling good again.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 14:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

Okay...have a steak!!!
But seriously...don't beat yourself up! You had a lapse of good judgement...get over it and jump back on the bandwagon!!!

I have had moments when I think a cinnamon roll would be SOOOOO good...but I have amazing willpower when it comes to sweets. When I get those cravings...I grab a glass of Diet Rite and a LC snack.

Just focus on your GOAL!!! That always helps me!

Kim
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 17:11

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

I also fell or jumped off the wagon over the holiday season and gained all my weight back. I started back with a new positive attitude on January 2 but i am having a much more difficult time losing. I have not cheated at all in the last few weeks and i should be losing like i did before the holidays.

can a carb binge affect our weight loss? can yo-yo dieting on low carb affect the speed of weight loss?

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 18:25
Registered Member

Stats: 215/210/155
BF:
Progress: 8%

Dear J:
I know exactly what you mean about feeling like a heroin addict when it comes to carbs or just food for that matter. I quit smoking not too long ago and when the cravings would come for a ciggarette I could take a deep breath and wait for the urge to pass and it would!!!! For me quitting nicotein was a breeeeeeze compared to getting my eating in control!! And...I have heard that quitting smoking is as difficult as quitting heroin!
When I am eating especially carbs and get into that "trance" forgettaboutit!!! Nothing could stop or get in my way of eating that second handful of Godiva or ice cream....this is a very very powerful force. I think it has to do with our Insulin levels....being on this diet tho will free us from these incredibly powerful urges....as with an alcoholic .....slips are a part recovery. Pick yourself up and get back on track! You can do it!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 18:27
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry but my young daughter insisted!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 19:45
Registered Member

Stats: 140/134/110
BF:
Progress: 20%

Dear JM,

Yup, I agree with the others. Been there, done worse. Don't beat yourself up just because you fell off the wagon. Get back on it!! Yes, it's not going to be easy at first, but the end result is definitely rewarding.

So pick yourself up, dust off the breadcrumbs and....have a steak!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 19:50

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%

That's happened to me also, if not everybody around this place. I can remember feeling just so disgusted with myself for losing control, but it can be so hard to stop once you've started. I think one time I polished off a whole box of honey nut cheerios- makes me laugh to think about it now, my kids were so mad that I ate all their breakfast cereal.

Don't beat yourself up, you'll get back on board and do even better than before!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 21:12
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

JM...count me in too, been there before! Lots of times...

A few things to remember when you're feeling a bit tempted to get out of control:

Nothing ever tastes as good as you think it's going to feel by eating it!! Afterwards, the guilt is worse than anything yummy...think of this BEFORE you reach for it!

You don't have a terrible lot of weight to lose (relatively speaking) so during your maintenance time...when you get to your goal, you'll be able to loosen up occasionally if you choose...but NOT why you're trying to learn new methods of eating well and while you're trying to lose some weight. When you get there...you may not even be impressed by "no-no" foods!

One more thing...about being 24 and fat and dull... We can talk about this girlfriend, let me tell you!! I wish to everything sacred that I had gotten my eating habits and my ideal weight under control when I was 24. Now in my 30's I am JUST starting to feel good about myself and my body...and life is FUNNER!!

Don't give up on your efforts no matter what...and by the same token, don't get so obsessed with the perfect, flat anything... honey... men like CURVES...okay? Most of em' don't care quite how big they are, as long as there's something there to grab! Most of em' are not impressed by the ultra fit types anyhow...just be YOU, in your body, the HEALTHIEST you can be...and that's beautiful.

Gosh...I'm sounding like someone's mother... sorry...I'm kinda feelin' that way today too, so maybe I needed to write that to myself !!

Hang in there...

#10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 21:50

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DDMariana
[B]JM..

Don't give up on your efforts no matter what...and by the same token, don't get so obsessed with the perfect, flat anything... honey... men like CURVES...okay? Most of em' don't care quite how big they are, as long as there's something there to grab! Most of em' are not impressed by the ultra fit types anyhow...just be YOU, in your body, the HEALTHIEST you can be...and that's beautiful.

You are so right Donna! Being the best YOU can be with your body type is so true! I'm getting closer to 30 and after two kids realizing that it's okay to have an hourglass figure.. and I'm gonna shake what my mama gave me!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 02:29
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Right on...! And what freedom that is, huh?

I always think to myself that if I were a man looking at some of these so called "babes"...I'd find myself attracted to the more "solid" ones that have a little meat... (Kinda like my men that way too... )

So many girls want to be carbon copies of the so called "standard" of beauty...HAH!!! It's the INDIVIDUAL that stands out in the crowd...body and personality. I take that any day...

#12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 07:35

Plan: Slim in 6
Stats: 232/????/162 Female 5'7"
BF:too much :-)
Unhappy To Fell off the Wagon

Quess we were both off the wagon yesterday.Last evening I picked myself back up and went to fitDay and wrote it all down in a new journal.You are right in that it helps to admit it and move on.I wrote my feelings and my conviction to do better today and I will! There is a lot of support here,MakeUp,and we will all help you.I am new here,too,and the support has been so helpful and inspiring.Everyone experiences what we did now and then..so,Makeup,let's jump back on that wagon together...today.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels! Good Luck!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 07:56
Registered Member

BF:

I love that ....."brush off the bread crumbs and have a steak!"
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 08:31
Registered Member

Stats: 130/122/110 Female 5 ft 3
BF:I wish I knew
Progress: 40%

I, too, fell off the wagon really hard--twice in fact. I'm on day 3 of attempt number 3.

I guess what helps me get back on the wagon is the fact that without trying to change my eating lifestyle, I would be binging EVERY DAY. I am a food addict. And I remember when I was doing induction before, I had experienced a lack of desire to pig out. For the first time as long as I could remember, I didn't want to eat whatever was in front of me.

As of now there is a whole tray of cookies in my office. 25% of me wants it, but then 75% of me is convincing me that I'd rather get a handle on my life.

I too, don't have that much to lose. But it's that little "extra" that can be so frustrating.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 13:29

Plan: Slim in 6
Stats: 232/????/162 Female 5'7"
BF:too much :-)
Default Thanks Hopeful

I started that journal last evening while feeling low and not only wrote my feelings of the moment but also some goals for myself.Even though my insulin was all out of whack last night I'm back in control.I just finished the Leslie sansone 3 mile walk but am suffering from headaches from my binge.I'm sure tomorrow will be even better and by the 3rd day,like you,I'm hoping for miracles! Thank you for the encouragement and for letting me know i'm not alone in my struggles.I'll promise to do better if you will!!