Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 21:07
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Natrushka, help!

I read a post of yours a little while ago where you talked about an ideal % of macronutrients consumed per day. I can't find it though. I did a search and then went through your posts. I gave up after page 7.

Do you remember this post? I just found fitday.com so I'd like to see how my percentages match up.

TIA,
Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 07:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Wanda, I tried looking for the thread in question but I think there's a problem with the search function on the website - I kept getting "No results found" and I *Know* the thread you mean, it's a search I've done before.

There was a post by a member, Voyajer, who e-mailed the Atkins Center and got the ratios - I believe the numbers were something close to 65% fat / 25% -30% protein / 5 % carbs. I'll try to dig it up later.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:26
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Nat:

Ya, that was the same problem I had when I plugged in my initial search. Then I had to do a really general search (protein, carb, fat), and got tons of hits.

I thought it was your post, but I guess not. For some reason, I thought it said up to 80% fat. Unless I was thinking of the fat fast.

Nat, don't go to any trouble trying to dig it up. You're busy enough providing support to others on this forum. I'm sure I'll find it at some point - I'll just search for % under Voyager's username. I'll let you know when I find it.

As always, thanks

Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 10:33

BF:

Wanda, the thread in question might be included in the Hot Links! thread in the Newbies' Questions forum

As for the 'right' percentages, it's going to vary from person to person and from time in your own journey - I've had great results with 50% protein and with 20% protein, 80% fat and 33% fat the past 18 months. What your body responds to will change - but generally speaking, fat in the neighbourhood of 60-80% is the range.

HTH
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:31
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Nat:

There is definately something wrong with the search engine. I plug in %, it comes up empy. I plug in "percent", it comes up empty. I plug in "percentage", it comes up empty. I plug in "fat", I get 2 pages. Then I noticed they are all from today only, even though my settings are on "any date".

I think the problem is that the search engine is only for the current date. Maybe those were one of the changes made due to server overload? I'd have to go back and read the thread on the changes.

Anyway, thanks for your info and I will look on that thread. I looked on Atkins and the fat fast is defined at 75-90% fat with caloric intake at 1,000 calories/day. Then he advises to "increase the ratio of fat to protein" bascially till you find what works best for you. So I'd guess that somewhere less than 75% fat would be recommended for Atkins regular program. That seems to coincide with what you suggest.

Since I've just found fitday.com, I've noticed that my fat intake is between 66-79% which is really working well for me. I was having problems with what I thought was false hunger. When I looked at the numbers, I realized that I was only eating about 50% fat. Yesterday, I ate 66% fat, 29% protein and 5% carbs, which looks pretty much on track according to your numbers. It's been up to 79% at its highest. I'm not getting the nighttime hunger 1/2 hour after dinner like I was getting. I'd like to increase my carb intake (more veggies), but everytime I do that I experience hunger right after eating. I will have to fiddle with the carb/fat ratio and see what my body likes best.

Fitday really allows you to get a handle on what works best for your own body. I can't believe it too me so long to find it.

Thanks again, Nat
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:34

BF:
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by wcollier
I will have to fiddle with the carb/fat ratio and see what my body likes best.
Happy experimenting, Wanda !

I'll put a post up in the Technical Forum about the Search Engine.

N
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by wcollier
I think the problem is that the search engine is only for the current date. Maybe those were one of the changes made due to server overload? I'd have to go back and read the thread on the changes.
Yep, you were right. I missed this post:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=81872

N
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 11:51
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Nat:

Just found that thread on fat %. I will link it here in case anyone is curious.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...0&highlight=BMR

Yes, happy experimenting. Nothing gets me more excited than problem-solving. It's my job, it's my life.

Thanks for the info, Nat.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

When I was using fitday, my fat percentages were consistently well over 70%. Does this mean I'm on a fat fast all the time? Also, if I am, why am I losing SO SLOWLY?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 10:44

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default Fit day is one thing

Freydis..and your very unique self is another.
At least with slow weight loss, you know what is gone
Chin up.. fitday is a great tool, but it just can't predict the way you react to changes.
I know it doesn't seem fair.
My sister Tigersue can certainly sympathize. For her first 9 months she lost 12 lbs.
Yes.. 12.
Its all good. This is a journey and your probably doing nothing wrong.
If it really bothers you make sure to see your dr and do the usual thing like have a tyroid panal taken ect.
Nedra
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 11:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by freydis
When I was using fitday, my fat percentages were consistently well over 70%. Does this mean I'm on a fat fast all the time? Also, if I am, why am I losing SO SLOWLY?
Nah, Freydis, fat fast is 90% fat (if you want to be technical) but I do understand the point you're making.

Nedra is right; slow is better - even if we'd rather be one of those hares rather than the turtle.

Maybe 70% isn't your 'niche' right now - have you tried 80% or 60%?

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 12:02
Mad Scientist

BF:

I agree with Nat. Technically the fat fast is 90% (even though Atkins says in his book 75-90).

I keep doing the same thing. I don't keep my fat intake up, I don't lose weight. I increase it (and my calories), I lose 1 pound the next day.

Yesterday, I experimented, eating 1550 calories (77% fat). I've always understood those calories should be consumed for a man to lose weight, not a woman. I didn't exercise so I was sure that I would gain or stay the same. Nope, I lost 1 pound.

It's hard to get past all our preconceived notions about weight loss that are usually incorrect. Fitday helps to play with numbers and find what works best.